What's new

Is Pakistan in denial about tackling its problems?

aakash_2410

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
By Aleem Maqbool
BBC News, Pakistan

The aftermath of the great monsoon floods is still a major problem facing Pakistan which is also suffering from regular suicide bomb attacks by Taliban militants. But as Aleem Maqbool reports, there seems to be little determination and will to tackle the country's problems head on.
In Mianwali, in Punjab, by the banks of the River Indus, we surveyed the impact of the floods with a local businessman and landowner.
All around, we could see the devastation caused to his farms, and the effect that would have on hundreds of labourers.
I asked him whether he believed money had in the past been embezzled instead of going into flood prevention projects, as many have suggested. And who, generally, he blamed for the lack of preparedness.
His response was surprising.

Many flood victims have been neglected
"You know, we've never had so much water come down the Kabul River (from Afghanistan) and flow into the Indus?" he said. "Strange, isn't it?"
I took a moment to digest the question, then asked if he was trying to suggest Afghanistan or America had something to do with the floods.
He paused for a moment.
"India," he said, without a hint of irony.
Slightly taken aback by what this educated and erudite man was saying, I suggested that there had been the highest rainfall ever recorded in Pakistan, and surely that could not have been caused by India.
He scoffed: "Don't you know they have the technology to create artificial clouds and send them across the border?"
I decided to leave the discussion at that.

Blame culture
But in Pakistan, there does seem to be a bogeyman for every one of its multitude of crises.
That often, of course, diverts attention from the underlying problems and serves to shield those with true responsibility.

It may... be that the ruling elite here do not really think things are all that bad
Take the huge cricket scandal this year in which Pakistani players were accused of cheating in return for large sums of money.
Initially, there was shock and a sense of shame, but very soon Pakistani politicians and diplomats were accusing the British press, and, yes, the Indians, of a conspiracy to destroy Pakistani cricket.
This week Pakistan's cricket board may have been pushed into announcing a new code of conduct for its players, but no one here really believes that much will change.
The board's chairman - who was accused of not providing enough security when the Sri Lankan cricket team was attacked by gunmen here last year, who was in charge during a disastrous tour of Australia when rumours of cheating resurfaced, and who is seen by many around the world as having handled the latest crisis badly - remains comfortably in charge.
President Asif Ali Zardari even sent him a note of congratulations this week, following the news that at least one match was found to be free from cheating.
The West, Zionists, and the international media, all often prove handy bogeymen, but so too does President Zardari himself.
It seems the focus of hatred and blame does not have to be foreign.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/9110766.stm

Why exactly do Indians worry about Pakistan's problems so much, including those that are irrelevant to Bharat?

Why exactly do Indians worry about Pakistan's problems so much, including those that are irrelevant to Bharat?

Is Aleem Maqbool an Indian?

Is Aleem Maqbool an Indian?

That's not the point. The article is posted by an Indian. Indians are quick to tell Pakistanis to worry about their own country if one Pakistani posts something about India that shows India's problems, even if written by an Indian.

That's not the point. The article is posted by an Indian. Indians are quick to tell Pakistanis to worry about their own country if one Pakistani posts something about India that shows India's problems, even if written by an Indian.

Same can be said about 90% of the members on this forum...but its good to see you carrying the flag for Pakistani side.

Well, we don't worry about pakistan we worry about pakistan when you guys blame us from a NATURAL DISASTER to match fixing in your country. This just goes to show the mindset of pakistani janta. I think everyone in pakistan is like 'Hate india no matter what' That's not good brother. :\

Well, we don't worry about pakistan we worry about pakistan when you guys blame us from a NATURAL DISASTER to match fixing in your country. This just goes to show the mindset of pakistani janta. I think everyone in pakistan is like 'Hate india no matter what' That's not good brother. :\

When was the last time you heard anyone blaming India for floods or match fixing? I am guessing you're digging this up to make yourself feel better or to score points against Pakistanis.

When was the last time you heard anyone blaming India for floods or match fixing? I am guessing you're digging this up to make yourself feel better or to score points against Pakistanis.

Come on that's a well known phenomena among the pakistani members. Just day before the forum gone for update. Zaid hamid, The guy who in this article and media? So, I'm not saying ALL OF YOU do that but majority does tend believe that?

And scoring points against pakistanis? Not really brother. There's 1 bad news about pakistan on bbc south asia EVERYDAY. Why don't I post them? Because I don't wanna do that. I've been a full member for ages now but I've just opened 4-5 threads and 2-3 of them are in 'member's introduction' section. So, if I just wanted to open anti-pakistan threads I would have started doing since day 1. :disagree:

Its actually in the article itself? The guy is blaming India for the floods.

They don't. It's just an opportunity to troll and score cheap points.

These Bhartis get self pleasure from these kind of news. But god forbid if someone posts about the growing hindu extremism, naxalites, poverty in india or hiv/aids in India.

The article is about 4 months old now.

True, and most probably posted here on the forum before.

Lets hope the guy has changed his perceptions in these 4 months though.

Some of these threads are getting so redundant and stale now. Its annoying.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom