What's new

Is it possible? Bicycling as primary means of transport in Dhaka

There are companies who are setting up bicycle stations and services right? I think they gotta tap the potential of crowded South-Asian cities.

@flame_ : Dhaka is a big city and commuting in big city with huge population requires optimal use of road (the prime real estate). Slow moving cycles will only make the problem worse (same problem as rickshaw).
Also, it is mostly a hot and humid and polluted place, cycling wont exactly be fun there.

Cycles are good, cheap, environmentally friendly, will help local economy, good for health and should be encouraged. But as a primary mode of transport.... No its too slow, lacks range and lacks capacity.... For this day and age no

SUV? That's not cool. My dad has to drive his SUV everywhere too. It's part laziness & part immigrant-mentality that bigger cars = status symbol. I'm pretty sure you're an immigrant too. Your kids won't be immigrants though so hopefully, they'll be more conscious of environmental safety.

It's definitely not boring riding here. The cabbies are vicious.

How does being an Immigrant relate to owning a SUV when millions American does the same? You are confused and touch of reality. Probably stay in your basement(if you have one) all day.

OK tree huger tell me. How do I do my groceries, how do I take my kid to doctor, how do I go to long drive with my family and most of all, how do I ride in freezing winter days when road is cover with 6" snow? Are you nut? As your name suggest. You are a retard. :angry:

Bicycles are cheap. The whole family can have 2 or 3 bicycles & each bicycle can easily carry 2 people.

Why can't mom cycle? If old ladies in China are cycling, then why not old ladies in Bangladesh? There's nothing in Islam that says women can't ride bicycles.

Let us forget about Bd for a sec. Why don't you ask your Amriki Amma and Abba to use Bike as only transportation and see how many slaps you receive. Oh wait your father already own SUV and most likely slapped your sorry azz. :)

Why is it an either-or? Mass-transit can easily exist with a good bicycle culture. It's not that expensive to support bicycles.

Mass transit system is very important & good option. But I'm guessing you don't live in city with Mass transit - it's pretty slow.

There are lots of videos on youtube from different cities: NYC, Seoul, Beijing - where it's a race between bicycle, car, mass-transit. In distances under 7miles bicycles win no contest.

Here in NY, for me to go from my apt to my hospital (2miles), it's a 30min subway ride. It's 8min by bicycle. I value my time so it's a pretty obvious choice.

Yes, so just be careful and watch your back next time because I might run your retard azz over with my giant SUV because you tree hugger make me mad. :lol:

Bike as primary means of transportation. :rofl:

Trust me, just simply normal walking is not enough to loose weight! :lol:

One must engage in cardio exercises to actually burn fat. Example are running or even brisk-walking.

By the way, I forgot to mention that places like Gulshan, Baridhara and Uttara have some nice parks!

My Dhanmondi has the nicest lakeside walkway.

I live in Nikunja-2 R/A .
This is a beautiful place to & there are a big park in road no. 5 ...
People walks there...There are 2 big playground for children too...
&
Bashundhara Baridhara R/A is a beautiful place for walking/cycling/running whatever...

- MHJ ...

I live in Nikunja-2 R/A .
This is a beautiful place to & there are a big park in road no. 5 ...
People walks there...There are 2 big playground for children too...
&
Bashundhara Baridhara R/A is a beautiful place for walking/cycling/running whatever...

- MHJ ...
I lived in Bashundhara for few months,and yes its a beautiful place. Every morning i used to see a good numbers of foreigners cycling and jogging.

OK tree huger tell me. How do I do my groceries, how do I take my kid to doctor, how do I go to long drive with my family and most of all, how do I ride in freezing winter days when road is cover with 6" snow?

You can attach things to bicycles called baskets. Baskets are nifty cus you can put stuff in them. Stuff like groceries. I know. I know. I just blew your immigrant-mind.

People in Denmark do just fine on bicycles year round. Are you so weak that you can't handle a little snow? I've done it living in NYC. Its not the most pleasant experience but its certainly not going to get you killed unless you're an idiot.

us forget about Bd for a sec. Why don't you ask your Amriki Amma and Abba to use Bike as only transportation and see how many slaps you receive. Oh wait your father already own SUV and most likely slapped your sorry azz. :)
rofl:

My parents are immigrants like you. They think cars are necessary for everyday. They just bought me a car and I said thanks but I don't intend to spend a ridiculous amt of money on gas when I can easily get around for FREE on my bicycle. What can I say? Like you, they grew up in a poor country and I think they arent comfortable with the thought of physical labor.

Bike as primary means of transportation. :rofl:

Yea who wants to use a bicycle to get around in Bangladesh? After all, you can easily travel 5miles in 25minutes on a bicycle. But of course you'd rather be stuck in traffic for 2hrs instead in your car. Smart.

Cycles are good, cheap, environmentally friendly, will help local economy, good for health and should be encouraged. But as a primary mode of transport.... No its too slow, lacks range and lacks capacity.... For this day and age no

Actually, at least in NYC, I get around a lot faster on my bike than in a car. Bikes are a lot smaller and more maneuverable than rickshaws so they don't cause the same congestion. I also don't have to follow the same traffic rules as cars.

For distances less than 8-10 miles, it makes a lot of sense. On a daily basis, people only have to move 4-5miles.

@flame_retarded:
No one is forcing you not to go around a bicycle in Dhaka. But you forcing your opinions on others. And frankly, that makes you look an idiot.

Yes, I have seen those cyclists in Bangladesh. They never go around highways. Only in roads.

And yes, I do travel long and short distances in my car with my family. Do you seriously think my mother or even my father would ride a bike?

Keep deluding yourself mate.

Why would you be on a highway for distances 8-10miles? I've been to bd. People go very short distances in a car. Like literally 5miles - and it takes them 1.5hrs. They go through the same roads rickshaws are on.

If its not feasible for your parents, it's feasible for you and the person you'll marry. You're not going to be old. You can teach your kids.

Interesting thread going on in here ! Apparently there is quite a vibrant
Cycling scenario in Dhaka in recent times and before everything
went stone age, it was spreading fast everywhere.
One of the most active group right now is BdcyclistsLINK and
some other groups like DNC etc. As like any other metropolitan
cities, Dhaka goes for a critical mass ride every last Friday of the month.
From city commuting to off-roading everything or groups are there.

483020_393230654077142_1358071129_n.jpg

312446_457393777660829_158294109_n.jpg

Many of my friends (including the female species)are riding cycles
as a mean of transport to work, Leaving the car at garage because
of Dhakas Insane “JAM” factor .

Safety issues are a concern though, I remember last time I went to
A trip towards Manikganj with a group (aged 24-35) the highway
Experience was horrible. But things are changing and more and more
People are joining this scenario until the time comes when a suitable
Gov might introduce a proper cycling lane.

From personal experience it's obviously not recommended for families
but for Office/institution transport can be a viable alternative in active
hours.

You can attach things to bicycles called baskets. Baskets are nifty cus you can put stuff in them. Stuff like groceries. I know. I know. I just blew your immigrant-mind.

People in Denmark do just fine on bicycles year round. Are you so weak that you can't handle a little snow? I've done it living in NYC. Its not the most pleasant experience but its certainly not going to get you killed unless you're an idiot.

My parents are immigrants like you. They think cars are necessary for everyday. They just bought me a car and I said thanks but I don't intend to spend a ridiculous amt of money on gas when I can easily get around for FREE on my bicycle. What can I say? Like you, they grew up in a poor country and I think they arent comfortable with the thought of physical labor.

Yea who wants to use a bicycle to get around in Bangladesh? After all, you can easily travel 5miles in 25minutes on a bicycle. But of course you'd rather be stuck in traffic for 2hrs instead in your car. Smart.

No problem body. What ever makes you happy. It's all good here but I love my SUV. :)

Good if this happens!! People will be fitter as an additional advantage..

Bicycle is not good becoz women are not good for this.
It doesnt fit our women style and they are not physically fit too.
Men can use this. But for long distances in Dhaka situation will be not good.
Their outfit will be spoiled. But motorbike is well for both of them.
But stealing problem is intolerable. With that more motorbike will ruin our environment.
So double decker and other public transports are highly recommended.
But our youths can take it widely as their main transport.

Back
Top Bottom