What's new

Is India rapidly closing towards being a SuperPower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chinese users here all agree that China will not try to work towards or claim the title "superpower". A title is nothing more than just a title but Indians are very obsessed with such titles as "Superpower", "world power" or "IT power" etc etc.

it still makes a little sense when Indians are obsessed with their growth....but what amazes us is your obsession with India and Indians.

r3

Believe nobody coached India to Get a Forex Reserve of $300 billion between 1999- 2010

And nobody gave them a $1.3 trillion GDP TODAY thru western coaching.

As 4 Umbrella whose providing this ??? India gets no USA handouts like Israel or Pakistan.

Like i said Its a VERY BIG POWER in the region But globally NOT yet.

But we all know the WEST think India is the place to be from Today onwards.

CANT SEE IT MYSELF

handouts - you mean aid with strings attached? - no india does not get that

it gets trade, it gets favorable conditions for its people to work in the west - high skilled and low skilled, it gets diplomatic support for issues like kashmir (just by the very fact that its not mentioned), it gets nuclear deals, it gets top military weapons offered, it gets mentioned as a responsible democracy even though it is not, it gets top technology transferred

these things give india one heck of an umbrella and were "given" as part of the path of helping india become a regional power!:usflag:

Comments welcome from Chinese friends please :lol:

China has never wanted to be a superpower, nor has China ever sought regional or global hegemony. The very last thing we want is to become the "world policeman" like the USA now is.

"Keep a cool head and maintain a low profile. Never take the lead... but aim to do something big."

- Deng Xiaoping

it gets trade,

What do you mean ,gets trade?

it gets favorable conditions for its people to work in the west - high skilled and low skilled

It depends on the skill,Indians are among the successful communities in the West.

it gets diplomatic support for issues like kashmir (just by the very fact that its not mentioned), it gets nuclear deals, it gets top military weapons offered,

The question is why did India get all of these in the first place?
Why Britain refused India military sales 40 years ago and now singing our tune to get a share of our defence market?
You can give numerable reasons ,to counter China.......but doesn't change the fact our value grew over the last 20 years.

these things give india one heck of an umbrella and were "given" as part of the path of helping india become a regional power!:usflag:

India already was the regional power post 1971,however regional power does not equate to regional leader.

"Keep a cool head and maintain a low profile. Never take the lead... but aim to do something big."

What a quote!!! :tup:

- Deng Xiaoping
Lol... I didn't mean you... I knew you would quote Deng Xiaoping.

I was referring to other Chinese members who keep on ranting about how India cannot progress like China. Anyways.. it was meant to be a sarcasm.

Is India becoming a superpower?

Well, that is an interesting question, yet to me the more interesting underlying question is how is global power distribution changing as a whole.
And it clearly is moving away from the historically unusual situation of a single superpower to a more multipolar world with several great powers.

Lets look at some significant factors.
powerfj.jpg

Now to me it is clear that in the near future India will become a great power, but a superpower needs great capabilities and dominating influence in all the folowing spheres.
Political, Geography, Cultural,Military, Economic, Demographic.

India has already reached superpower like status in Geographic(land mass) and Demographic terms. Now the rest is not superpower territory and not even great power for most categories yet. But if India continues it steep rise in economic terms over the next 2-5 decades and deals with the horrible poverty the other categories will follow suit. Cultural beeing the only thing that is not pretty much automatic.

From what I've read I see 2050 with the US only beeing one of 4-5 Great powers. China, India, EU, US and Brazil(if they manage to get their stuff together in Latin America). I see no single power beeing dominant in all spheres (superpower) for that time and Russia going downhill even further (all indicators are there).

That is if no additional world war breaks out, which seems highly unlikely at this point of economic interdependence.
So no, India is not rapidly becoming a superpower, rather a great power among several.

Last edited:

Well, that is an interesting question, yet to me the more interesting underlying question is how is global power distribution changing as a whole.
And it clearly is moving away from the historically unusual situation of a single superpower to a more multipolar world with several great powers.

powerfj.jpg

Now to me it is clear that in the near future India will become a great power, but a superpower needs great capabilities and dominating influence in all the folowing spheres.

India has already reached superpower like status in Geographic(land mass) and Demographic terms. Now the rest is not superpower territory and not even great power for most categories yet. But if India continues it steep rise in economic terms over the next 2-5 decades and deals with the horrible poverty the other categories will follow suit. Cultural beeing the only thing that is not pretty much automatic.

From what I've read I see 2050 with the US only beeing one of 4-5 Great powers. China, India, EU, US and Brazil(if they manage to get their stuff together in Latin America). I see no single power beeing dominant in all spheres (superpower) for that time and Russia going downhill even further (all indicators are there).

That is if no additional world war breaks out, which seems highly unlikely at this point of economic interdependence.
So no, India is not rapidly becoming a superpower, rather a great power among several.

Always nice to get a different opinion. It's much better than the usual bickering that goes on in here.:cheers:

powerfj.jpg

What a brilliantly logical post
:tup:

The world is moving towards multiple spheres of power hence the BRIC grouping.

Have huge space research programme and you are bound to become a superpower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom