What's new

'Is he running for President or dictator?' Donald Trump's horrifying speech scars Twitter

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
'Is he running for President or dictator?' Donald Trump's horrifying speech scars Twitter
'Mommy why is the angry man yelling at me.'
Image credit: RNC

Barack Obama had "yes we can". Ronald Reagan spoke of the "shining city on a hill". On Thursday night in Cleveland, Donald Trump accepted his nomination as the Republican candidate for President ahead of US elections in November, with a terrifying speech that portrayed America as a dystopian nightmare that needs a great leader to restore its lost glory.

And just in case you didn't get the point, this is what it looked like.

In a speech that went over 70 minutes, the failed businessman and reality TV star-turned-politician sought to drive home the idea that his country is under siege: from immigrants, terrorists, the Chinese – and anyone else who disagrees with him.

"I have a message for all of you: the crime and violence that today afflicts our nation will soon come to an end. Beginning on January 20th 2017, safety will be restored."

That came early on, but if you thought that meant Trump would follow it up with a vision of what America might look under him, you'd be wrong. Instead, he went on to enumerate just how terrible he thinks America is right now.

Trump sought to show how awful things are both on the domestic and international fronts and how America is, in his mind, falling to bits.

"President Obama has doubled our national debt to more than $19 trillion – and growing. Yet, what do we have to show for it? Our roads and bridges are falling apart, our airports are in Third World condition, and 43 million Americans are on food stamps," he said.

Political analysts could barely comprehend just how pessimistic the candidate's speech was.

Follow
Bret Stephens @StephensWSJ

This speech is a relentless, unyielding, humorless, hectoring appeal to fear and loathing.

8:42 AM - 22 Jul 2016
Follow
Edward Luce @EdwardGLuce

This is the darkest acceptance speech possible. No ray of light. Dystopia will engulf America unless it elects the strong man.

8:01 AM - 22 Jul 2016 · Cleveland, OH, United States
Follow
josh Greenman @joshgreenman

MOMMY WHY IS THE ANGRY MAN YELLING AT ME

8:45 AM - 22 Jul 2016

MAKE AMERICA SCREAM ABOUT STUFF AGAIN

8:37 AM - 22 Jul 2016
Ezra Klein, editor of Vox, offered the most concise reason for why Trump chose to be so dour in his speech.

Donald Trump is not a candidate the American people would turn to in normal times. He’s too inexperienced, too eccentric, too volatile, too risky. Voting Trump is burning down the house to collect the insurance money – you don’t do it unless things are really, really bad.

Here is Trump’s problem: Things are not really, really bad. In fact, things are doing much better than when President Obama came into office.

According to this argument, Trump's only chance of winning in November will be convincing the electorate that America is a truly scary place – and he's the only person who can fix it. Literally: Trump actually said, "nobody knows the system better than me, which is why I alone can fix it."

The fascist subtext did not go unnoticed.

Follow
Bernie Sanders @BernieSanders

Trump: “I alone can fix this.”
Is this guy running for president or dictator? #RNCwithBernie

8:17 AM - 22 Jul 2016
View image on Twitter
Cn78KaFUkAAA7r_.jpg:small

Follow
My Daughter's Army @MyDaughtersArmy

Screen shot of RNC - not to be confused with a poster of a dystopian future movie where a dictator has taken over.

8:14 AM - 22 Jul 2016
Cn8H2RqUIAAzAY-.jpg

Follow
Bearded Stoner @beardedstoner

Folks, we should really stop with the Hitler comparisons. Trump is a lot more like Mussolini.

9:05 AM - 22 Jul 2016
Cn8JTnyVYAYSMPk.jpg

Follow
Matt Wilstein @TheMattWilstein

So I guess this is our new Sieg Heil? #RNCinCLE

9:12 AM - 22 Jul 2016
Of course, anyone with experience of authoritarian leaders in the rest of the world found it hard not to notice the resemblance.

Follow
Hend Amry @LibyaLiberty

Lol he already sounds like an Arab dictator. https://twitter.com/shadihamid/status/756320681198030848 …

8:23 AM - 22 Jul 2016
Follow
Nicholas Dawes @NicDawes

Familiar scenes for those of us who grew up in racial-nationalist states, dictatorships, and authoritarian quasi-democracies

9:09 AM - 22 Jul 2016
Follow
Garry Kasparov @Kasparov63

I’ve heard this sort of speech a lot in the last 15 years and trust me, it doesn’t sound any better in Russian.

8:45 AM - 22 Jul 2016
As Trump carried on, literally calling himself the "law and order candidate", Americans didn't seem quite sure how to react to the fact that this man could be President in November.

View image on Twitter
Cn8HWPaVIAA0baZ.jpg:small

Follow
Justin Martindale @justmartindale

Who wants to split an @Airbnb with me for the next 4 years? #RNCinCLE

9:03 AM - 22 Jul 2016
Follow
Shmuel Rosner @rosnersdomain

We can just call it: Amexit

8:44 AM - 22 Jul 2016
View image on Twitter
Cn8FodaWIAQ5OIZ.jpg:small

Follow
Michelle Collins @michcoll

Me watching this speech. #WrapItUp #Trump #RNCinCLE

8:56 AM - 22 Jul 2016
And America might not have any hope at all: Even the people you want most in your corner on a night like this posted a picture of themselves looking terrified.

View image on Twitter
Cn8KyoZWcAE7PZR.jpg:small

Follow
Stephen Colbert @StephenAtHome

Watching the speech. See you soon! Live! #LSSC

9:18 AM - 22 Jul 2016

http://scroll.in/article/812249/is-...donald-trumps-horrifying-speech-scars-twitter

Listed to part of the speech. I find it funny the length liberals will go to. Trump gave hard statistics and facts about the failure of Obama and Hillary aka (lying thief).

The democrats/liberals have a reputation of violent beatings at Trump rallies, trying to stifle free speech, outright lying about what Trump has said and now they use this type of propaganda:

'Mommy why is the angry man yelling at me.' :lol:

Yes democrats and Hillary supporters are that dumb:

Last edited:
Arright, Imma put what happened in Turkey into context for ya'll...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom