What's new

Is cricket killing other sports in India..

Arey I need some comments seriously.. I am not against it.. but I don't about it.. Please

Probably not much in India but very likely in Pakistan. I'd like to see both countries excel in other sports, as well. Maybe excel is not the proper word as both nations have made significant strides in different sporting areas but rather financial and mainstream public support. And they have to start with football/soccer. it's a worldwide phenomena and s.asia is nowhere to be found. Tennis and Golf should follow suit.

oops i forgot the greatest fan is here ..:D:D:D

But i do think these cricketers should be brought back from their stardom and publicity.

Nobody cares for other sportsperson and the pay they get when compared to cricketers are negligible.

Efforts has to be taken to improve hockey, volleyball, basketball, football etc and infrastructure has to be improved .

i think the other sports should join hands to kill cricket. it is too long and that makes it boring.

i don't think so. govt should encourage the other sports rather than banning cricket. our nation sports hockey is in worst condition because of govt policy. between 1930-1940 the hockey was famous like which cricket is today,but due to corruption in sports association hockey lost is shine.

cricket is not ruining it, politics is, in pakistan!!!

by iphone
Probably not much in India but very likely in Pakistan

i think the other sports should join hands to kill cricket. it is too long and that makes it boring.

kill cricket?? we enjoy cricket, if you hate it, dont bother watching it!!

Ban Cricket and Make Gilli Danda the national sport and have IPL like tournaments for Gilli Danda.

2-3 ipl more,india even will not be able to qualify for world cup.so next turn is of pak

It is not cricket's fault that other sports have not been able to capture the public's imagination. Traditionally, support for sports/games like tennis and chess has been restricted to the southern cities while football was more popular in the East, Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Goa. This was the case when Cricket was just one of the sports India played. But by the early 80s, cricket and hockey were the only sports big in India. Then the following happened:

"1982 Asiad at New Delhi: With a full house watching, Prime Minister Indira Gandhi included, and in front of a national television audience, Pakistan massacred India 7-1."

And the following acted as the perfect balm to the wounded Indian pride:

A fan congratulates Kapil Dev for taking a catch to dismiss Viv Richards in the 1983 World Cup final | Cricket Photo | Cricinfo.com

http://www.cricinfo.com/columns/content/image/196855.html

How can one then blame cricket for hockey and other sports not improving their standards?

Having said that, BCCI has earmarked some funds for the development of other sports in India. The Sahara group sponsors the hockey team now and they (thankfully) travel by plane and stay in 5-star hotels. Tennis has been given the importance thanks to Lee-Hesh and Sania. Badminton is somewhat popular in Bangalore and Mumbai. India is slated to have its first F-1 race in 2011. Vishy Anand has done a lot for Chess. So things have been changing for the better.

Last edited:
Ban Cricket and Make Gilli Danda the national sport and have IPL like tournaments for Gilli Danda.

your national sport is Hockey right?

just like Pakistan :D

What the **** is cricket? Get ur football teams strong, there r many good players for sure in South Asia but you aren't doing enough to find them.

Back
Top Bottom