What's new

Irshad Manji's views on Islam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Youtube is banned in Pakistan so the vast majority of us wouldn't be able to see that !

But what its worth most of Ms. Manji's views are radically non-conformant with the Islam that most of us know of.

Youtube is banned in Pakistan so the vast majority of us wouldn't be able to see that !

But what its worth most of Ms. Manji's views are radically non-conformant with the Islam that most of us know of.

But how can one conform whether or not her views are conformant or not? I don't believe anyone can speculate or judge that.

And do you consider her a muslim or is it just because she talks of reformation of Islam that she becomes a non-conformant muslim?

She is the next Salman Rushdie.And worse She is a Lesbian.

And why is her being lesbian a problem? That sounds outrageous...

Not a problem for me.But it will be a problem for her.Its only a matter of time before another bounty will be announced on her head.

But how can one conform whether or not her views are conformant or not? I don't believe anyone can speculate or judge that.

And do you consider her a muslim or is it just because she talks of reformation of Islam that she becomes a non-conformant muslim?

I honestly don't give a wooden nickle either way for I'm not a religious person but we Muslims by & large take strong exception to any tinkering with our religion especially when it comes in the garb of 'reformation' to the point of challenging the very fundamentals of Islam & Islamic Traditions that have been agreed upon unanimously for thousands of years. Case in point - I believe she thinks that homosexuality is in perfect conformity with Islam....Muslims almost unanimously disagree with such an assertion.

P.S You could judge her views on Islam by comparing with what the Koran says in much the same way one would debunk or affirm any other view by consulting the source document form which it appears to have been derived from.

Not a problem for me.But it will be a problem for her.Its only a matter of time before another bounty will be announced on her head.

I think it already is... but guess that aint gonna scare her from doing her duty which I believe is to debate and discuss Islamic teachings. IMHO guess no one can take the right to discuss and debate on anything I wish to. Even if God descends from heaven and questions me I should have the courage to confront him/her/it...

I honestly don't give a wooden nickle either way for I'm not a religious person but we Muslims by & large take strong exception to any tinkering with our religion especially when it comes in the garb of 'reformation' to the point of challenging the very fundamentals of Islam & Islamic Traditions that have been agreed upon unanimously for thousands of years. Case in point - I believe she thinks that homosexuality is in perfect conformity with Islam....Muslims almost unanimously disagree with such an assertion.

P.S You could judge her views on Islam by comparing with what the Koran says in much the same way one would debunk or affirm any other view by consulting the source document form which it appears to have been derived from.

I am an ignorant person as far as Islam is concerned but what I do know is that Quran has many interpretations. Are you trying to say that under no interpretation of Quran is it possible for homosexuality to be valid?

Also, we humans have ventured the earth for a few million years , even when there was no invention called religion and will continue to do so even if tomorrow all religions vanish. So why is it important for a religion to stay the way it is? At the end of it, all religions have been invented by men and women. As a Hindu I believe God exists in everything and in nothing as well. So what is the problem if tomorrow I come up with my own interpretation of any religion or give up my religion altogether?

So if i say Hindusim = worship of fesses, wont hindus be able to disapprove it with their texts? Same applies here, Islam rejects such views and interpretation of Islam which conforms that it is the final word of god.
According to the texts, anyone who DISBELIEVE in what Allah or the Prophet has revealed is a DISBELIEVER! Islam is not a football club which can be criticized instead who who excepts the religion and becomes a Muslim must believe in every single word of it.
by the looks of your arguments you seem to be uneducated Indian who happens to be a hindu who believes his religion of worshiping human deity is superior to the religion of one supreme god. Take your nonsense else where because you like in a glass house.

And why is her being lesbian a problem? That sounds outrageous..
Being lesbian or gay means your place in the after world is only HELL.

I am an ignorant person as far as Islam is concerned but what I do know is that Quran has many interpretations. Are you trying to say that under no interpretation of Quran is it possible for homosexuality to be valid?

Also, we humans have ventured the earth for a few million years , even when there was no invention called religion and will continue to do so even if tomorrow all religions vanish. So why is it important for a religion to stay the way it is? At the end of it, all religions have been invented by men and women. As a Hindu I believe God exists in everything and in nothing as well. So what is the problem if tomorrow I come up with my own interpretation of any religion or give up my religion altogether?

Allah made this earth for humans to dwell in and the first human being on planet earth was Adam who was sent from the heaven.

The reason why liberals like you are in supportive of reformation of islam is because your leader "jinnah" was a big time unorthodox Muslim whose belief was to purse western lifestyle and the abandon of the faith.

I strongly disagree with her on her views about Israel. Israel is a state imposed upon the people of Palestine following conquest of Ottoman lands in the Middle East. IMO Irsahd Manji is justifying it only to be politically correct in world dominated by power Jewish lobby.

Male homosexuality is forbidden in Islam. There are verses in the holy Quran with reference to the prophet Lut (AS) known as Lot in the Bible. I have not come across any reference to lesbian behaviour in any Quranic verse. However it would be difficult to reconcile overt lesbian relationship in any version of Islam.

Her lament about closure of Ijtehad following the end of Abbaside Khilafat in 1258 has merit. This has been the greatest tragedy in Islam and was main cause of decline in the intellectual activity in the Islamic world.

Until that time, there have been many rationalist version of Islam such as M’utazilites. Even Ashaarites who claimed to be folowers of orthodoxy were far more forward thinking than the Hanbalites who preferred literal interpretation of Quran.

Ibne Timmiyah, a Syrian Hanbalite scholar accused Sufis of ‘shirk’ was also highly critical of Ashaarite’s Islam. He mentioned in his al-aqida al-Hamawiyya and al-Wasitiyya and other works, that Allah's 'hand', 'foot', 'shin' and 'face' are literal (haqiqi) attributes, and that Allah is upon the Throne in person. This is clearly a very literal interpreatation of the holy Quran and Islamic jurists of his day imprisoned him for his heretical views. One can understand that free thinking and rationalism cannot prosper in such a claustrophobic environment.

It is only with the rise of the Wahabi dominated Saudi Arabiya who consider Ibne Timmiyah the 5th Imam of Islam that literal interpretation on the holy Quran became popular. I therefore have to agree with Irshad Manji that there is a need for Ijethad in today’s world. This does not mean “Reformation” but in addition to Quran & Sunnah; there is room for “Qiyas” as well as “Ijtihad” in orthodox Islam, why not make use of it?

I remember back when I was in University that Irshad Manji came to our campus to speak on her views.

The MSA and PSA were all huffing and puffing and were willing to take her down.

She destroyed these guys.

Only a really moderate reformed interpretation of Islam will work in this day and age- good luck to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom