What's new

IRIAF | News and Discussions

Arashkamangir,

Perhaps I missed something in the KITE-2000 video (mine you, I just watched it as the audio is meaningless to me) but from all appearances, the KITE does appear to be a sub-munition dispenser.

The fact that is a powered-munition is just a practical feature, as some sub-munition dispensers simply remained attached to the aircraft (such as Germany's MW-1 and UK's JP233), which can be a bit risky. The KITE therefore is more akin to the DWS-24/Mjolner, developed Germany, but with a small rocket motor.

Now it's definitely not a straight-up cluster bomb (something Iran has also shown off but not with much fanfare), but still a member of the "cluster munition" family.

Arashkamangir,

Perhaps I missed something in the KITE-2000 video (mine you, I just watched it as the audio is meaningless to me) but from all appearances, the KITE does appear to be a sub-munition dispenser.

The fact that is a powered-munition is just a practical feature, as some sub-munition dispensers simply remained attached to the aircraft (such as Germany's MW-1 and UK's JP233), which can be a bit risky. The KITE therefore is more akin to the DWS-24/Mjolner, developed Germany, but with a small rocket motor.

Now it's definitely not a straight-up cluster bomb (something Iran has also shown off but not with much fanfare), but still a member of the "cluster munition" family.

I was surprised about how KITE dispense it's payload. My interpretation is that the dispensing mechanism is not a simple release of bomblets (excuse my ignorance here). From the static testing footage (@0:07 of this YouTube link) [ /shared?ci=-yHCsqFdc8Q] they are demonstrating a "Hydra" like launch mechanism of the KITE. They are also claiming that the KITE itself can engage another target after deployment of the "bomblets".

Arashkamangir,

I see what you're talking about. The idea of selective/staged release of the sub-munitions makes good sense and is a feature on many similar dispensers.

Now, given the limited size of the guidance section, the idea that it "chooses" another target is likely a bit overdone. More likely, there is a timing mechanism built-in that allows it to be pre-programmed to disperse munitions at specific time intervals after it is launched.

The need for such a mechanism is an answer to the one penalty free-flying munition dispensers have compared to other models like the JP233: Active control. The JP233 is attached/connected to its aircraft until all munitions are expended and thus the pilot/crew can choose exactly when to dispense them.

The disadvantage of this is, you need to fly directly over your intended target, not a great proposition in heavily-defended airspace.

Hence the idea of a "free-flying" munition dispenser.

Arashkamangir,

I see what you're talking about. The idea of selective/staged release of the sub-munitions makes good sense and is a feature on many similar dispensers.

Now, given the limited size of the guidance section, the idea that it "chooses" another target is likely a bit overdone. More likely, there is a timing mechanism built-in that allows it to be pre-programmed to disperse munitions at specific time intervals after it is launched.

The need for such a mechanism is an answer to the one penalty free-flying munition dispensers have compared to other models like the JP233: Active control. The JP233 is attached/connected to its aircraft until all munitions are expended and thus the pilot/crew can choose exactly when to dispense them.

The disadvantage of this is, you need to fly directly over your intended target, not a great proposition in heavily-defended airspace.

Hence the idea of a "free-flying" munition dispenser.

Ah I see. Yes, they did mention about pre-program instructions. Nevertheless due to my lack of knowledge on existence of these class of weapons I found it quite intriguing.

C4ivy6JUcAE4_nW.jpg:large

did Iran even have any plans for the F-313 beyond the mockup that was shown?
Of course there were plans... Qaher is/was a real project. There was wind tunnel testing, CAD models, RC test models and of course the mockup. Mockups are part of any development process. This particular one was exploited by the media.

how's development, funding
Therein lies the problem. We have heard little from Qaher. The last we heard of it the IRIAF have given up on it but the IRGC have taken the project. The IRGC has a reputation for getting things done, but not for aircraft. We'll have to wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom