What's new

Iranian Space program

Unknown Iranian satellites Mobin 1 and Mobin 2 are in space!!!
View attachment 1030170
The IRGC has access to 5 satellites in space:

Noor 1 and 2 satellites

Khayyam's satellite

Unknown satellites of Mobin 1 and 2
weird

probably put into orbit by Russia, doubt Iran could place a satellite into orbit without anyone noticing

Unknown Iranian satellites Mobin 1 and Mobin 2 are in space!!!
View attachment 1030170
The IRGC has access to 5 satellites in space:

Noor 1 and 2 satellites

Khayyam's satellite

Unknown satellites of Mobin 1 and 2
Mobin-1 having the same image as Khayyam makes me think Russia had launched another satellite for Iran at some point.

weird

probably put into orbit by Russia, doubt Iran could place a satellite into orbit without anyone noticing
Theirs alot of thing they notice but they don't announce, and sometimes Iran doesn't announce either.

One of them could be Sina-1 launched way back in 2005 by Russia. It’s still in orbit yet not on this list.

My guess Not in space yet or these were satellites launched that failed to get insertion/failed to respond/failed to stop tumbling (stabilize).

There is international law requiring notifications of space launches and the orbital insertion and radio frequency you will be using. Every country on earth notifies the world/UN (even North Korea although after the fact).

A telecommunications satellite’s lifetime, starting from the launch and ending at de-orbiting, is governed by international space law. The latter considers satellites as “space objects” and regulates liability, registration, jurisdiction and control, debris mitigation, and touches upon ownership. Therefore, the first large group of international law rules applicable to satellite telecommunications includes provisions of three out of five UN space treaties, specifically, the 1967 Outer Space Treaty, the 1972 Convention on International Liability for Damage Caused by Space Objects, and the 1976 Convention on Registration of Objects Launched into Outer Space, as well as several UN General Assembly resolutions.

To carry out a communication function, satellites need to be placed in a certain orbit and to use radio-frequency spectrum, both limited natural resources. Access to these highly demanded resources, which are not subject to national appropriation and require rational, efficient, and economical uses in an interference-free environment, is managed by the International Telecommunication Union (ITU)—the UN specialized agency for information and communication technologies. The ITU’s core regulatory documents are its Constitution, Convention, and the Radio Regulations, which collectively make up another group of international law rules relevant to satellite telecommunications.

Both groups of international law rules constitute the international legal regime of satellite telecommunications and face the challenge of keeping pace with technology advancement and market evolution, as well as with a growing number of states and non-state actors carrying on space activities. These tangible changes need to be addressed in the regulatory framework that cannot but serve as a driver for further development of satellite telecommunications.

Assuming even if every other country kept their mouth shut, the chance that no public/private space organization or amateur astronaut didn’t detect these new satellites till now is very very low. Too many eyes in space. There are companies/agencies that track space the number of objects in space bigger than a penny. Most militaries do it out of necessity.

One of them could be Sina-1 launched way back in 2005 by Russia. It’s still in orbit yet not on this list.

My guess Not in space yet or these were satellites launched that failed to get insertion/failed to respond/failed to stop tumbling (stabilize).

There is international law requiring notifications of space launches and the orbital insertion and radio frequency you will be using. Every country on earth notifies the world/UN (even North Korea although after the fact).

Assuming even if every other country kept their mouth shut, the chance that no public/private space organization or amateur astronaut didn’t detect these new satellites till now is very very low. Too many eyes in space. There are companies/agencies that track space the number of objects in space bigger than a penny. Most militaries do it out of necessity.

Mobin is just a nickname!

That makes sense (although why they called it Mobin instead of Sina is another question). I am surprised that has stayed in orbit for almost 20 years

Doesn't explain Mobin-2 though

That makes sense (although why they called it Mobin instead of Sina is another question). I am surprised that has stayed in orbit for almost 20 years

Doesn't explain Mobin-2 though
considering there was no previous news about them I wonder if Russia gave Iran 1 or 2 of its old satellite

Last edited:
Yet both recent launches failed.

Those launches you cite were on now defunct (terrible track record) Unha-3/Unha family derivatives missiles.

Under its new (likely Russian assisted) family of missiles, it has yet to match Iran in space success. Either satellite tech or working SLV.
Well how about the metric that they just succesfully placed a 300kg military satellite into orbit with their new Chollima SLV ?

as I said: "their space program is ahead of Iran's"

first launch of Chollima SLV in May 2023, third launch today in November 2023 (success) - 3 launches in 6 months, incredible. on our side, we haven't had a launch of the Simorgh SLV for almost 2 years now (since Dec 2021). last launch of Zoljanah was June 2022 and that was a test launch and our officials said we need two more suborbital / test launches of Zoljanah !

As I also said, our only hope is the IRGC program and that they quickly replace Qaem-100 with Qaem-105 in 2024 (then Qaem-110 in 2025-26). We are falling behind big time

Screenshot 2023-11-22 at 01.14.52.png

They are getting help from Russia. Hajizadeh asked for the same assistance (video proof already posted), it has yet to materialize.

It’s just highly improbable to think you can jump from SCUD era clustered liquid engines to solid fuel ICBMs, Iskander replica, and HGV solely on trial and error with a shoe string budget of NK. Jeffery Lewis from Arms Control Wonk did an analysis a while back. The leap NK did in 5-7 years time is unprecedented in the history of arms development by a non world power.

But yes I agree we are highly behind on space program. I don’t think you will find anyone more critical on this board regarding that area than me.

But yes I agree we are highly behind on space program. I don’t think you will find anyone more critical on this board regarding that area than me.
Just a few weeks ago you disagreed with me when I said their space program is ahead of ours, but I am glad you changed your mind

As for Russian assistance, NK had 2/3 successful orbital launches of Unha-3 (first one back in 2012 with a 100kg payload and second one in 2016 with a 200kg payload) while we still haven't been able to fix Simorgh. 2012 (and 2016) should predate any such Russian assistance. In other words, they were already ahead of us, not just recently with Russian help, that just widened the gap even further

Supposed Russian assistance also doesn't impact pace of launches, they launched their new solid fuel 2.4m diameter SLV 3 times in 6 months ! Our last civilian orbital launch attempt was December 2021, almost 2 years ago !

Just a few weeks ago you disagreed with me when I said their space program is ahead of ours, but I am glad you changed your mind

You are confusing two different thoughts.

Being critical of Iranian space progress does not mean I think that NK is ahead of ours as much as you do.

North Korea is a mirage, look at everything they have unveiled (6+ ICBM, TBM, SLBM) modern battle tanks, SLV, nuclear submarine, HGV, air defense systems, etc etc.

Now ask how a country that needed to barter for gasoline and food a decade or so ago, that has a gdp of a paltry $50B can afford such programs all at once? Programs that even well developed nation states like Japan, South Korea, Turkey, Brazil, South Africa, etc don’t have?

It’s not possible. I’m sorry. Massive foreign assistance behind the scenes and a lot of mirages and smoke screens.

As for Russian assistance, NK had 2/3 successful orbital launches of Unha-3 (first one back in 2012 with a 100kg payload and second one in 2016 with a 200kg payload) while we still haven't been able to fix Simorgh.

Unha-2/3 are/were basically Taepodong 2-3 reconverted to SLV. Taepodong 2-3 I remember quite well from my younger days. It was NK attempt at an ICBM over a decade ago. The missile was a failure. Failed tests and delays.

North Korea was going no where fast while Iran was rapidly catching up in field of missile development from its Shahab-3 first production in 1998. You have to remember that NK has been playing around with missiles since before the Shah fell. If anything NK has gone nowhere for decades while Iran caught up. If it wasn’t for NK (and Libya), Iran would never have had BMs or learned how to develop them.

Then suddenly within 5 years this spurt of advancement has happened where they mastered large diameter liquid and solid fuel engines based on some of Russian’s most complicated engines, with zero prior tests. This also weirdly kicked off a massive advancement across nearly the entire military sector of NK. Various fields suddenly started unveiling what appears to be top of the line weapons.

It’s the worst kept secret in the world right now. Russia (and probably China) are following the Iran-proxy model and helping NK reach new heights as a deterrence to US in Asia. Hard to know what is real or how much of these systems NK unveils it can actually afford to produce. In Ukraine, Russian soldiers don’t like using NK artillery shells because the quality and control is so shoddy.

2012 (and 2016) should predate any such Russian assistance. In other words, they were already ahead of us, not just recently with Russian help, that just widened the gap even further

2012-2016 you can blame on Rouhani and JCPOA. Lots of political sensitivities that North Korea doesn’t have to deal with.

Supposed Russian assistance also doesn't impact pace of launches, they launched their new solid fuel 2.4m diameter SLV 3 times in 6 months ! Our last civilian orbital launch attempt was December 2021, almost 2 years ago !

That’s Russian assistance. This is a country where most of its population is starving. People routinely die from starvation and live in slum conditions. At night most of the country is lights out from space (outside of parts of the capital). Its economy is worth less than the net worth of some billionaires.

Now use logic and rational and you will reach the conclusion how such advancement is possible.

My point is whatever North Korea is doing is irrelevant, NK is a joke of a country. It’s entirely focused on military endeavors (with massive foreign assistance) while its entire population starves and dies. Reminds me of Saddam in the latter years. So who cares where NK is, that is not a successful route for Iran to emulate unless you want our population to go
From 90M to 50M.

Our last civilian orbital launch attempt was December 2021, almost 2 years ago !

Welcome to resisting the West. You guys are so rah rah Iran until the bill comes due. It has costs and it sacrifices development of critical areas of one’s economy and industry.

Iran spends billions (with a B) on food subsidies on its population. North Korea they eat grass when times get tough and die. Rocket man doesn’t care if his population is 20M or 2M, just like his father. Iran actually has a country to run. Corruption is also high. Inefficiencies run deep in the republic.

So yes there is no priority (or funds) for space right now. Even among IRGC, NK is already outpacing IRGC this year. You hear IRGC officials talk and besides the Solemani project they have zero vision for a future in space. No moon mission. Some joke of a propaganda for a “manned” mission. They unveiled some space suits from Amazon.com a while back. It’s a disaster.

Space is not a priority, simple as that. Hasn’t been for over 10 years. IRGC jumping in won’t change it much, Simorgh was an IRGC designed rocket. Should tell you all you need to know.

North Korea seems to care about space again and even talks of a NK space station. Iran doesn’t care about space too much. Next month a couple of private sector Iranian satellites will be launched by Russia on Iran’s behalf. Just goes to show you where we at and how much this government doesn’t care to change it.

Space is not a priority, simple as that. Hasn’t been for over 10 years.
If you live long enough in Iran you will realize that to a mullah a belly full of beans is more important than a satellite in orbit...full bellies mean no riots on street ..safe for a mullah..has no place to run if hungry crowds go after them..

We are lucky that our SL is an educated intelligent man and we owe all of our military developments to his persistence to have in-house development...unfortunately he is only one man..rest of mullahs are all "belly full of beans" type.. Rouhanni a good example..none will take the space seriously and no one can challenge that.. India decided to break with that and have a space program despite poverty..they looked out and saw the future...
.mullahs are cheap, un secure and fat oriented...space!! What space! Bring the chelokabob..lol

Back
Top Bottom