What's new

Iranian Hall of Fame

Yes bro. You are right.
Arxiv baraaye in kaar ha hast dige. masalan shoma mikhaay yek paper i ke journal accept nakarde ra sabt koni, ghabl az inke kasi kaar e moshabeh ra dobaareh anjam bede, va be esm e khodesh sabt bekone ;) vali arzesh e khaassi nadaare, faghat yek jouraayi yek noe' copyright baraat ijaad mikone ;)

First Iranian woman to win Nobel Prize of Math

first-iranian-woman-to-win-nobel-prize-of-math-1407923630-4799.jpg

_h366_w650_m6_otrue_lfalse.jpg
maryam_child.jpg

Mirzakhani grew up in Iran and was at first more interested in reading and writing fiction than doing mathematics.

MM_temple-480x640.jpg

Mirzakhani with her parents during a visit to Isfahan, Iran.

hyperbolic-surfaces2-640x426.jpg

Mirzakhani, who says she thinks about mathematics in pictures, often doodles her ideas on giant sheets of paper.

What experiences and people were especially influential on your mathematical education?

I was very lucky in many ways. The war ended when I finished elementary school; I couldn't have had the great opportunities that I had if I had been born 10 years earlier. I went to a great high school in Tehran – Farzanegan – and had very good teachers. I met my friend Roya Beheshti during the first week of middle school. It is invaluable to have a friend who shares your interests, and it helps you stay motivated.

Our school was close to a street full of bookstores in Tehran. I remember how walking along this crowded street, and going to the bookstores, was so exciting for us. We couldn't skim through the books like people usually do here in a bookstore, so we would end up buying a lot of random books. Also, our school principal was a strong-willed woman who was willing to go a long way to provide us with the same opportunities as the boys' school.

Later, I got involved in Math Olympiads that made me think about harder problems. As a teenager, I enjoyed the challenge. But most importantly, I met many inspiring mathematicians and friends at Sharif University. The more I spent time on mathematics, the more excited I became.

Could you comment on the differences between mathematical education in Iran and in the US?
It is hard for me to comment on this question since my experience here in the US is limited to a few universities, and I know very little about the high school education here. However, I should say that the education system in Iran is not the way people might imagine here. As a graduate student at Harvard, I had to explain quite a few times that I was allowed to attend a university as a woman in Iran. While it is true that boys and girls go to separate schools up to high school, this does not prevent them from participating say in the Olympiads or the summer camps.

But there are many differences: In Iran you choose your major before going to college, and there is a national entrance exam for universities. Also, at least in my class in college, we were more focused on problem-solving than on taking advanced courses.

What attracted you to the particular problems you have studied?
When I entered Harvard, my background was mostly combinatorics and algebra. I had always enjoyed complex analysis, but I didn't know much about it. In retrospect, I see that I was completely clueless. I needed to learn many subjects which most undergraduate students from good universities here know.

I started attending the informal seminar organized by Curt McMullen. Well, most of the time I couldn't understand a word of what the speaker was saying. But I could appreciate some of the comments by Curt. I was fascinated by how he could make things simple and elegant. So I started regularly asking him questions, and thinking about problems that came out of these illuminating discussions.

His encouragement was invaluable. Working with Curt had a great influence on me, though now I wish I had learned more from him. By the time I graduated I had a long list of raw ideas that I wanted to explore.

Can you describe your research in accessible terms? Does it have applications within other areas?
Most problems I work on are related to geometric structures on surfaces and their deformations. In particular, I am interested in understanding hyperbolic surfaces. Sometimes properties of a fixed hyperbolic surface can be better understood by studying the moduli space that parameterises all hyperbolic structures on a given topological surface.

These moduli spaces have rich geometries themselves, and arise in natural and important ways in differential, hyperbolic, and algebraic geometry. There are also connections with theoretical physics, topology, and combinatorics. I find it fascinating that you can look at the same problem from different perspectives and approach it using different methods.

What do you find most rewarding or productive?
Of course, the most rewarding part is the "Aha" moment, the excitement of discovery and enjoyment of understanding something new – the feeling of being on top of a hill and having a clear view. But most of the time, doing mathematics for me is like being on a long hike with no trail and no end in sight.

I find discussing mathematics with colleagues of different backgrounds one of the most productive ways of making progress.

What advice would you give those who would like to know more about mathematics – what it is, what its role in society has been, and so on?
This is a difficult question. I don't think that everyone should become a mathematician, but I do believe that many students don't give mathematics a real chance. I did poorly in math for a couple of years in middle school; I was just not interested in thinking about it. I can see that without being excited mathematics can look pointless and cold. The beauty of mathematics only shows itself to more patient followers.

Source:
Maryam Mirzakhani: 'The more I spent time on maths, the more excited I got' | Science | theguardian.com

Maryam Mirzakhani Is First Woman Fields Medalist | Simons Foundation

There is a list of the most interesting contemporary successful/famous Iranians, with categories, photos and a short background and accomplishments info on iranianroots com

Seems all female Sharif graduates end up in US:

Another Sharif graduate working hard to make America stronger:

Dr. Mina Bissel (Role of healthy cells in micro environment of Tumorigenesis):

Dr. Reihaneh Safavi-Naini (Cyrptography scientist):

rsn.jpg

Professor Madjid Samii Awarded as Top World Neurosurgeon

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 11, 2014
Compiled By: Firouzeh Mirrazavi
Deputy Editor of Iran Review

Professor-Majid-Samii.jpg

*Professor Madjid Samii Awarded as Top World Neurosurgeon

The world renowned Iranian scientist in neurologicalsurgery Professor Majid Samii has garnered the 2014 Golden Neuron Award.

The award was announced during a ceremony held at the biannual meeting of the World Academy of Neurological Surgery in Vienna on October 11.

Many leading scientists and neurological surgery scholars have flocked to the biannual meeting that kicked off on October 9 and will run until October 12.

Iranian neurosurgeon and medical scientist, Professor Samii, had earlier received the 2014 Leibniz Ring Prize in Berlin.

Prof. Samii is renowned worldwide for his life trajectory and especially for his work in the Project Africa 100.

The 70-year-old scientist Professor Samii is known asIranian-German neurosurgeon that has been the president of the International Society for Neurosurgery. He was also elected as the founding president of the Congress of International Neurosurgeons (MASCIN) in 2003.

While the scientific study of the nervous system hasincreased significantly during the second half of the twentieth century, Professor Samii has recently launched the project of constructing an advanced neurology center in Iran.

Homa-Saman-Abadi-asteroid-naming.jpg
*Iranian name 'Homa' selected for asteroid

An Iranian name was chosen for an asteroid out of 1500other names suggested in an international campaign to name LA1986 (3988) minor planet. Near Earth Objects (NEO) Project Group of Space Generation Advisory Council held an international campaign last year to name the asteroid in which citizens across the world could suggest their names.

Homa Saman-Abadi and Foad Kordani from Iran took part in the campaign, suggesting the name Homa. International Astronomical Union chose the name 'Homa' for the minor planet.

In Iranian myth, Homa is the name of the bird who brings happiness for anyone who sees it. It also sends the message of happiness.

Homa Saman-Abadi whose name has been selected for the small planet, said, "I am so happy that my name has been picked. I want to seize the opportunity and express my feelings.... I wished that the planet will bring happiness for anyone who sees it, and it can be the source of love, peace, joy and pleasure for people on the earth."

Director of Near Earth Objects (NEO) Project Group of Space Generation Advisory Council Alex Karl called the campaign a 'great success'. He also congratulated the two Iranians who offered the name Homa for the planet. Citizens of 85 countries took part in the event. LA1986 (3988), named 'Homa' was discovered on June 4, 1986 in Palomar Observatory in California.

1412933132604_118.JPG
*Iranian helps design robot snake

An Iranian scientist Hamid Marvi, along with his colleagues at Carnegie Mellon University, took inspiration from sidewinder snakes and designed a robot that can slide across the sand, for potential use in search-and-rescue missions.

According to ISNA, it was once something biologists only vaguely understood and roboticists only dreamed of replicating.

By studying the snakes in a unique bed of inclined sand and using a snake-like robot to test ideas spawned by observing the real animals, both biologists and roboticists have now gained long-sought insights.

In a study published in the 10th issue of the journal Science, researchers from the Georgia Institute of Technology, and Zoo Atlanta report that sidewinders improve their ability to traverse sandy slopes by simply increasing the amount of their body area in contact with the granular surfaces they are climbing.

As part of the study, principles used by the sidewinders to gracefully climb sand dunes were tested using a modular snake robot developed at Carnegie Mellon.

Before the study, the snake robot could use one component of sidewinding motion to move across ground level, but was unable to climb the inclined sand track the way real snakes could readily ascend.

In a real-world application — an archeological mission in Red Sea caves — sandy inclines were especially challenging to the robot.

However, when the robot was programmed with the unique wave motion discovered in the sidewinders, it was able to climb slopes that had previously been unattainable. “Our initial idea was to use the robot as a physical model to learn what the snakes experienced,” said Daniel Goldman, an associate professor in Georgia Tech’s School of Physics.

“By studying the animal and the physical model simultaneously, we learned important general principles that allowed us to not only understand the animal, but also to improve the robot.”

shapeimage_1.png

The detailed study showed that both horizontal and vertical motion had to be understood and then replicated on the snake-like robot for it to be useful on sloping sand. “Think of the motion as an elliptical cylinder enveloped by a revolving tread, similar to that of a tank,” said Howie Choset, professor of robotics at Carnegie Mellon. “As the tread circulates around the cylinder, it is constantly placing itself down in front of the direction of motion and picking itself up in the back. The snake lifts somebody segments while others remain on the ground, and as the slope increases, the cross section of the cylinder flattens.” At Zoo Atlanta, the researchers observed several sidewinders as they moved in a large enclosure containing sand from the Arizona desert where the snakes live.

The enclosure could be raised to create different angles in the sand, and air could be blown into the chamber from below, smoothing the sand after each snake was studied. Motion of the snakes was recorded using high-speed video cameras which helped the researchers understand how the animals were moving their bodies.

“We realized that the sidewinder snakes use a template for climbing on sand, two orthogonal waves that they can control independently,” said Hamid Marvi, a postdoctoral fellow at Carnegie Mellon who conducted the experiments while he was a graduate student in the laboratory of David Hu, an associate professor in Georgia Tech’s School of Mechanical Engineering.

“We used the snake robot to systematically study the failure modes in sidewinding. We learned there are three different failure regimes, which we can avoid by carefullyadjusting the aspect ratio of the two waves, thus controlling the area of the body in contact with the sand."

382428_Ali-Kashani.jpg

*Iran expert helping develop IoT platform

An Iranian expert and postdoctoral fellow at the University of British Colombia is helping develop a revolutionary platform for a new technology called the Internet of Things (IoT).

Ali Kashani, the Vancouver-based Energy Aware Technology’s vice president of software, is helping the company develop the Neurio platform, billed as a revolutionary new technology that makes an ordinary home smart.

The evolution of the IoT involves the embedding of sensors in physical objects. The sensors are, in turn, linked through networks to computers that analyze the vast amounts of data they produce.

Neurio’s development, however, has drawn upon the fact that all electronic devices have a power signature, hencejust enlisting the help of a Wi-Fi power sensor.

Kashani has described Neurio as the “brain of the home,”not a “fancy” remote control, like other smart-home products.

“Now in your pocket, it’s your phone that is reminding you no matter if you are downstairs, taking the garbage out, listening to music in the living room,” he said. “So it’s going to change the way that home operates.”

Energy Aware Technology’s founder and CEO JaniceCheam has predicted that Neurio would make the home “become an active member of the family.”

“The home of the future, I would say, it’s more about anticipating and getting you that information when you need it, without you having to go and search for it,” she said.

81(18).jpg

*Iran shines in ISI rankings

Head of ISC announced that Iran’s place in world rankings in different scientific scales such as engineering and chemistry have considerably improved.Head of the Islamic World Science Citation Center (ISC) Ja’far Mehrdad announced that Iran has ranked 16 in engineering and 19 in chemistry in the rankings of Institute for Scientific Information (ISI).

Iran has submitted about 26 thousand articles in the field of engineering to which 106,542 references have been made.

Ja’far Mehrdad noted that Iran holds a significant place in the world rankings in different scientific scales based on ESI documentation and said, “Iran's scientific production is quite notable in chemistry. During the past 10 years, Iranian scientists have achieved the ranking of 19 among 140 countries.”

The first ranking belongs to the USA with more than 200 thousand articles submitted. The next rankings belong to China, Japan, German, India, France, Russia, Spain, England and South Korea respectively.

Between the ranking of 11 and 19, which belongs to Iran, there are countries such as Italy, Canada, Switzerland, the Netherlands, Australia, Taiwan, Poland and Sweden.

Iran has taken wide strides in science and technology, particularly in medical and medicinal fields, in recent years.

The Institute for Scientific Information (ISI) founded by Eugene Garfield in 1960, maintains citation databases covering thousands of academic journals. This database allows a researcher to identify which articles have been cited most frequently, and who has cited them.

4469.jpg

*Iranian engineer wins 2014 O.H. Ammann Research Fellowship Award

Mahdi Arezoumandi, an Iranian structural engineer from Qom, has won one of the five awards of 2014 O.H. Ammann Research Fellowships in Structural Engineering.The O. H. Ammann Research Fellowship in Structural Engineering is bestowed annually to a member for the purpose of encouraging the creation of new knowledge in the field of structural design and construction. This year, one of the five winners was an Iranian structural engineer from Qom, Mahdi Arezoumandi.

After completing his Master’s Degree inEarthquake/Structural Engineering from Tehran Polytechnic in 2002, Mahdi Arezoumandi worked as a structural engineer at Small Industries and Industrial Park Organization (SIIPO) where he was involved in the design of a wide range of civil engineering structures. He came to the United States to continue his education in structural engineering in 2009, seeking PhD degree at Missouri University of Science and Technology.

He has published 19 journal papers and 11 conference papers so far, won couple of scholarships from Post Tensioning Institute (PTI) and Chi Epsilon Honor Society, and awarded the Nevada Medal for Distinguished Graduate Student Paper in Bridge Engineering in 2013.

More recently, he was awarded the National University Transportation Center (NUTC) student of the year in 2014.He has served as a vice president of both Chi Epsilon Honor Society and the Council of Graduate Student (CGS) at Missouri University of Science and Technology.

IMG09051400.jpg

In regard to his proposal, Arezoumandi explained, “Concrete is one of the most common type of human-made product in the world the main constituent of which is cement.”

“Studies show that for every kilogram of cement produced, about one kilogram of carbon dioxide is released, which is harmful,” he continued, “One way to solve this problem and reduce the amount of released CO2 is to produce concrete from fly ash which I have evaluated in my PhD research.”

Fly ash is a by-product of coal-fired electric generating plants. The use of these byproducts offers environmental advantages by diverting the material from the wastestream, reducing the energy investment in processing virgin materials, conserving virgin materials, and allaying pollution.

Samii.jpg

*Iran to establish largest Oncology Research Center in region

The ground-breaking ceremony of the largest Oncology Research Center in the region was held at Rasht, northern Iran, on September 2.

Professor Madjid Samii, renowned neurosurgeon, and Professor Ali Akbar Sayyari, deputy health minister, attended the ceremony.

Gilan Medical University and Oncology Research Center are establishing the center with the support of Professor Samii.

The center will be built in four years in an area of 20,000 square meters.

Samii was also commemorated in the ceremony for his 50-year scientific efforts.

Born in 1937 in Rasht, Professor Samii received his MD in neurosurgery at the age of 33. He has been the president of the International Society for Neurosurgery and was elected as the founding president of the Congress of International Neurosurgeons in 2003.

Also in 2004, the Board of Directors of the Social Security Organization of Iran has offered Professor Samii the chairmanship of Neurosurgical Department in Tehran’s Milad hospital. Under his leadership, a very strongeducational program for the staff has been implemented.

The department is now one of the most developed neurosurgical centers. Since 2006, Professor Samii has set annual international neurosurgical symposiums in motion in Tehran.

IMG13210502.jpg
*Iranians discover direct MS-diet link

Iranian scientists in Lund University in Sweden have discovered a direct link between MS and food.

Multiple sclerosis (MS) is an autoimmune disease that affects the central nervous system and renders the brain ineffective in sending messages to the rest of the body.

Though we know relatively little about multiple sclerosis, recently it was discovered that MS not only affects the brain tissue but also the intestinal system. This significant discovery by an Iranian scientist can be a new clue toward discovering methods to treat this disease.

In an exclusive interview with Mehr News Agency, Dr.Shahram Lavasani, associate professor in the university’s Department of Biology, explained about this recent discovery. Excerpts follow:

When did you begin your studies on MS and the intestinal system, and what led you to focus on the intestines of patients with MS?

It has been 10 years since we started this project. From the very beginning we have been conscious of the fact that one should not be totally focused on tissues attacked by the immune system. What we have learned from MS so far is that the immune system is attacked which causes the loss of the insulating myelin sheath. Thus, the transmission of signals from the brain to the various organs is impaired. In the past, there have always been speculations about the intestinal system as being affected by MS and now we have been able to present evidence for it.

But until now it has been thought that genetics is mostly responsible for MS?

Yes, for a long time genetics was held solely responsible for causing MS, and much research has been done into it; yet, no one has been able to prove that gene is the only deciding factor. It is now known, however, thatenvironmental factors are also effective.

Does the intestinal system have anything to do with diet?

Definitely. That’s where the intestinal system comes into focus since the food that we consume ends up there. Therefore, we should accept this conclusion that diet is closely associated with MS and its development, as it is obvious that food after getting into the intestinal system, disrupts its bacterial composition.

webmd_rm_photo_of_nerve_damage(1).jpg
What was the scientific communities’ attitude toward this discovery and at what stage is your project now?

10 years ago when the project was first started, no one believed that there could be a relationship between MS and the destruction of the nerve sheath, and the intestinal system and the bacteria residing in it. For this purpose, we carried out a significant experiment in 2010 in which certain probiotics were injected into mice with MS-like symptoms. During this experiment we found out that the course of the disease kept changing. The moment we infected the mice with MS, the intestinal system underwent sever reactions before showing the crippling effects of MS.

The results showed that when dealing with MS, one must consider various tissues as MS may not only attack the immune system. Perhaps, one of the main reasons that sofar no permanent treatment has been found for this disease is that there hasn’t been an overall check-up of the patient’s body and only certain tissues have been examined. In this regard our research team is examining other factors causing inflammation to the intestines. Together with Mehrnaz Nouri, an Iranian PhD student in Lavand University, we are trying to find new ways to make the restoration of the intestine mucous membrane in MS patients possible.

379947_Iran-researchers.jpg
*Iran researchers design stress calculator

Iranian researchers have developed a device in the form of a bracelet, which can be used to calculate and register the amount of people’s stress.

Dr. Hossein Hassanpour, one of the project’s researchers,said the device is supposed to be equipped with a computer game, which can be used to reduce people’s stress.

He said one way the device can be used on professional athletes and said, “One of the problems of professional athletes in national teams’ camps is stress, which eventhemselves are not aware of. Even the least amount of stress sometimes changes the result of a game.”

Stress accelerates heartbeat and reduces skin resistance, Hassanpour said and noted, “Therefore by calculating theamount of skin resistance through sensors attached to fingers, one can produce signals…, which indicate 16 signsof stress.”

The researcher said the bracelet is connected to computer through Bluetooth, showing the amount of stress in the form of sound, image or a chart.

13930603000699_PhotoI.jpg
*Iranian Scientist Wins UNESCO Biology Award

An Iranian researcher and scientist of the country's Royan Institute won the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)-Equatorial Guinea International Prize for the first time in the history.

Professor Hossein Baharavand from the Stem Cell Research Center of Royan Institute was qualified to win the 2014-2015 UNESCO-Equatorial Guinea International Prize.

This is the first time an Iranian researcher is qualified to receive this award.

On May 4, 2014 the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization called for nominations for the UNESCO-Equatorial Guinea International Prize for Research in Life Sciences.

UNESCO-Equatorial prize is awarded to those projects and activities of an individual, individuals, institutions, other entities or non-governmental organizations for scientific research in life sciences, which have led to improving the quality of human life.

Three scientists are prizewinners at maximum who are selected by the Director-General of UNESCO on the basis of the assessments and recommendations made to her by an international jury.

Hossein Baharvand is an Iranian stem cell anddevelopmental biologist and director of Iran's Royan Institute for Stem Cell Biology and Technology.

Hossein Baharvand was born in 1972 and obtained his PhD degree in 2004 in the field of Developmental Biology from Khwarizmi University (formerly Tarbiat Moallem University), Tehran, Iran.

n00000363-b.JPG
He began work at the Royan Institute in Tehran from 1996. He is currently full professor and head of Department of Stem Cells and Developmental Biology at Royan institute for Stem Cell Biology and Technology.

Moreover, Baharvand is the head of department of Developmental Biology at University of Science and Culture in Tehran.

He and his colleagues have established several human embryonic stem cell lines since 2003 and later human induced pluripotent stem cells. This has enabled them to pursue many avenues of research into methods of generating therapeutic cells from stem cells and made them the pioneer in stem cell research throughout the Middle East.

Professor Baharvand has published more than 150 peer-review papers in national and international journals, as well as 4 international books and 9 books in Persian. He is editor of Trends in Stem Cell Biology and Technology book. He is an editorial board member of five international journals. He has won 11 national and international awards and presented as invited speaker in several meetings.

IMG14421757.jpg

*Iranian PhD student revolutionizes plastic surgery

Iranian Sydney University PhD student Ali Fathi is changing the face of medicine with his new healing, injectable invention.Iranian Sydney University PhD student has developed an injectable biomaterial that will allow patients with really bad cartilage damage or spinal cord injuries to avoid unnecessary surgery.

Interestingly, it was originally developed as a new material to help patients with serious bone fractures; however, this Iranian scientist expanded his invention and pronounced himself a hero in the cosmetic surgery industry.

His material can act as an alternative to existing dermal fillers to puff out wrinkles, saggy cheeks or lips.

What distinguishes his material from other already available not-so-effective materials is that it helps the skin to build new issues and remove wrinkles.

“We can generate new muscles and skin under the skin, so we won’t have wrinkles,” Mr Fathi said.

The material is liquid at room temperature, but converts to a gel when injected into the body. It acts as a scaffold for new cartilage and tissue to grow and dissolves afterwards, without leaving behind any trace.

At the moment, this innovation is used to heal fractured bones, but it will soon be utilized in plastic surgery.

According to this scientist, this material can also be used to stabilize dental implants and, hopefully, to help victims of spinal fractures.

untitled-247(1).JPG
*Iranian Mathematician, First Female Winner for Fields Maths Medal

An Iranian mathematician working in the US has become the first ever female winner of the celebrated Fields Medal.

In a landmark hailed as "long overdue", Prof Maryam Mirzakhani was recognised for her work on complex geometry.

Four of the medals were presented in Seoul at the International Congress of Mathematicians, held every four years.

Also among the winners was Prof Martin Hairer from the University of Warwick, UK, whose work on randomness could prove useful for climate modelling.

_76905025_saddle.png
Awardedby a committee from the International Mathematical Union (IMU), the Fields Medal is regarded as something akin to a Nobel Prize for maths. It was established by Canadian mathematician John Fields and comes with a 15,000 Canadian dollar (£8,000) cash prize.

First awarded in 1936 and then every four years since 1950, the medal is awarded to between two and four researchers, who must be no older than 40, because Fields wanted to encourage the winners to strive for "further achievement" as well as recognise their success.

The other two medals were won by Dr Artur Avila, a Brazilian mathematician who earned his PhD in dynamical systems at the age of 21, and Prof Manjul Bhargava, a Canadian-American number theorist at Princeton University.

20140814095525.jpg
Iran’s president has heaped praise upon Maryam Mirzakhani, an Iranian professor at Stanford University who has become the first woman to win the prestigious Fields Medal, also known as the “Nobel Prize of mathematics.”

“I congratulate you on winning the world’s topmost award in the field of mathematics,” said President Hassan Rouhani in a message to extol the success achieved by the Iranian mathematician.

“Today, Iranians can justly feel proud that the first woman to win the Fields Medal is their fellow citizen,” the Iranian president added.

“Yes, the most competent should verily sit at the highest position and enjoy respect,” noted the president.

“On behalf of the Iranian nation, I value your scientific endeavors,” Rouhani said, adding all Iranians across the globe are the country’s national asset.

1408541817577_untitled.JPG
*Ramin Golestanian wins the 2014 Holweck Medal

The Holweck Medal for 2014 has been awarded to Professor Ramin Golestanian "for his pioneering contributions to the field of active soft matter, particularly microscopic swimmers and active colloids." The gold medal and a prize of Eu3000 is awarded by the SociétéFrançaise de Physique, and will be presented to ProfessorGolestanian at a ceremony in Paris on August 27.

Golestanian is a professor at the university’s Rudolf Peierls Center for Theoretical Physics. He obtained his BS from the Sharif University of Technology and his MS and PhD from the Institute for Advanced Studies in Basic Sciences (IASBS), both in Iran.

The Iranian scientist has been a visiting scholar at MIT, postdoctoral fellow at the Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics at UCSB, Joliot Chair and CNRS Visiting Professor at ESPCI, and visiting professor at College de France.Before joining Oxford, he held academic positions at the University of Sheffield.

This award was instituted in 1945, jointly by the French and British Physical Societies as a memorial to Fernand Holweck, Director of the Curie Laboratory of the Radium Institute in Paris, who was tortured and killed by the Gestapo during the occupation of France 1940-44.

The money for the prize was, initially, subscribed by Fellows of The Physical Society and others. A medal, originally in bronze, but since 1972 in gold, is given by theSociété Française de Physique. The award is made in alternate years by the Councils of one of the two societies to a physicist selected from a list of nominees submitted by the other.

The award will be made for distinguished work in any aspect of physics that is ongoing or has been carried out within the 10 years preceding the award. In selecting the recipient of the award, the primarily experimental interest of Holweck will be borne in mind. Until 1974 it was given in even-dated years to a physicist based in France and presented in the UK or Ireland, and in odd-dated years to a physicist based in the UK or Ireland and presented in France. In 1974 on the occasion of the joint celebration of the centenaries of the two physical societies, two awards were made. The award is now made in odd-dated years to a physicist based in France and presented in the UK or Ireland and in even-dated years to a physicist based in the UK or Ireland and presented in France. The medal is gold and is accompanied by a prize of 3000€.

Continue:

Professor Madjid Samii Awarded as Top World Neurosurgeon

Iranians' Achievements

Back
Top Bottom