What's new

Iranian Air Defense Systems

Is bavar a complete indigenous system? I mean made from scratch without something else as a base or sample, with full indigenous radar and missiles?

Also the same question but with 3rd khordad

asking these because i need arguments for people saying 3rd khordad is a BUK copy and that Bavar "has certainly been made with chinese or russian assistance" even they have no proof, but beside the look, is 3rd Khordad completely different than Buk M2E?

Iran need s300v4/s500 ABM class system, s500 will be the best...

I was wishing for 350km coverage...That would replace the necessity of s400 permanently . I still wish for that,
export version of s-400 won't come with 400km range missile . and Bavar has a tracking range of 400km and detecting range of 450km , it means in future if they build sayyad-5 it can be a 400km engagement system

Is bavar a complete indigenous system? I mean made from scratch without something else as a base or sample, with full indigenous radar and missiles?

asking these because i need arguments for people saying 3rd khordad is a BUK copy and that Bavar "has certainly been made with chinese or russian assistance" even they have no proof, but beside the look, is 3rd Khordad completely different than Buk M2E?
they only say bavar is made with the help of russia or china because they are jealous . Bavar use two AESA radar while even S-400 don't use AESA radar and S-500 if I'm not wrong use one AESA and One PESA (I'm not sure on that)

about 3rd of Khordad , it start its origin from project Ra'ad which indeed was based on BUK but its many years it separated its way and benefit the research and development was made for 15th of Khordad and Bavar-373 right now 3rd of khordad have an engagement range of 200km and also it won't need its radar to engage targets up to 70km which make it fantastic for ambushing enemy aircrafts
by the way we only had access to buk-m1 and even buk-m3 have engagement range of 70km and needs its radar for that . and buk battalion have a detection of 160km while 3rd of Khordad battalion can detect target up to 400km away

The 3rd of khordad was certainly conceptually based on the buk,at least originally,however during its development you saw its evolve from being a shorad to a medium ranged sam,likely due to the increasing performance of its aesa radar as it was developed during the program.
The most advanced russian buk is still only equipped with a pesa radar,the only aesa equipped buk variant is one built by belarus,and that came out in 2019.which was well after the debut of the third of khordad.
fg_1923618-jdw-1755.jpg

The third of khordad may have started out as basically an iranian buk clone,but it ultimately evolved into something that was far more impressive.

Wheres the IRGC version?
Defence ministry project , IRGC is more interested in 3rd of Khordad. but in our air defence branch of our armed force there is very little parallel work , if IRGC manage an achievemnet , you see it soon in defence ministry systems , if defense ministry make an achievement you see its also used in IRGC systems , there is no reinventing the wheel there and the systems of army and irgc are connected and linked together , army air defense have access to IRGC radars and IRGC Air defense have access to army radars

while looking at this video , it come to my attention that they tested the sayyad-4b in hit to kill mode and they didn't use the proximity switch , it seems they are more confident in the missile as i recall they used proximity switch when they hit RQ-4

why you always ask such sensitive strategic questions consistently? it was "what is Iran getting for giving Russia drones, but what is Iran getting back", now its this. hmm.

Last edited:
they only say bavar is made with the help of russia or china because they are jealous . Bavar use two AESA radar while even S-400 don't use AESA radar and S-500 if I'm not wrong use one AESA and One PESA (I'm not sure on that)

about 3rd of Khordad , it start its origin from project Ra'ad which indeed was based on BUK but its many years it separated its way and benefit the research and development was made for 15th of Khordad and Bavar-373 right now 3rd of khordad have an engagement range of 200km and also it won't need its radar to engage targets up to 70km which make it fantastic for ambushing enemy aircrafts
by the way we only had access to buk-m1 and even buk-m3 have engagement range of 70km and needs its radar for that . and buk battalion have a detection of 160km while 3rd of Khordad battalion can detect target up to 400km away
Actually China has no long-range system in this class despite their advances in electronics and radar technologies. The only long range Chinese SAM system is the HQ-9 was developed with Russian assistance and benefits from Russian technology transfers. Also it uses missiles similar to those of the S-300. Interestingly some sources report that the HQ-9 also incorporates some electronic technologies of the US Patriot air defense system.
The second Chines system is the HQ-22 which has a range of up to 170 kilometres (110 mi) and can strike targets at altitudes from 50 metres (160 ft) to 27 kilometres (17 mi). The system's missiles are guided by semi-active radar guidance and can engage ballistic and cruise missiles.

Therefore, any claim that Chinese technologies were incorporated into BAVAR 375 is false and baseless. As to Russia's involvement, well, Russia refused to sell S-300 PMU1 when President Dmitry Medvedev canceled the supply agreement in 2010. Nonetheless, Iran sued Russia for $4 billion and won the lawsuit. Then Russia had to supply a much more advanced S-300 PMU2 with elements of S-400 technologies in on April 13th, 2015.

Did Iran benefit from Russian technologies during the R&D phase? Of course otherwise they would be foolish not to do so. Russia is the top producer of SAM systems in the world. But, Iran did not get any Russian/Chinese input nor any assistance in designing the BAVAR-373, it's 100% indigenous Iranian system from concept to production.

Did Iran benefit from Russian technologies during the R&D phase? Of course otherwise they would be foolish not to do so. Russia is the top producer of SAM systems in the world. But, Iran did not get any Russian/Chinese input nor any assistance in designing the BAVAR-373, it's 100% indigenous Iranian system from concept to production.
the problem is that the only similarity between Bavar-373 and S-300 is that both use separate radar of detection and engagement , that's it , are you aware of any other similarity between them ?

the problem is that the only similarity between Bavar-373 and S-300 is that both use separate radar of detection and engagement , that's it , are you aware of any other similarity between them ?
In a nutshell, the only similarities are their intended functions as robust SAM systems. Bavar 375 is an Iranian concept derived from 30 years of observations, testing, and decades of research work incorporating both Russian and some Western technologies to make a uniquely indigenous system unlike any other in the world.

For example;
Both Search and Engagement Radars are AESA type capable to Track 300 Targets and Engage 6–60 Targets of them.

Designs of the the Iranian AESA Radars are similar "actually more advanced" to AN/TPY-2 used in THAAD more than 92H6E OF s-300/400 Family. Thus, for people to claim Russian or Chinese input is ludicrous, because it's false since neither China nor Russia ever transferred any worthwhile military tech to Iran.

The only exception would be anti-ship missiles purchased by Iran from China. The most important would be C-802 anti-ship cruise missile sold to Iran in 1990s. However, Iran re-designed this system completely as they increased its range many folds, changed it's engine, installed new radars, and upgraded its electronics and its ECM/ECCM, and made it a multi-platform system. It could be launched by Jet fighters, Helicopters, land based platforms or onboard surface ships or submarines.

Frankly, Iranian engineers portray incredible knowledge and technical talent than most western or Russian engineers. Iranian scientists & engineers have something to prove. They are hungry, driven, and determined to show that Iran takes no back seat to any nation on earth. That's why they achieved such brilliant results within a decade that would have taken any other nation many decades to accomplish.

That principle applies to every sector in Iran's ongoing industrial drive in both civil and military sectors.

Lastly, many members of this forum might think I am too impressed by Iran, or Iran's military tech, hence I must be exaggerating Iran's capabilities and trying to evoke emotional response from readers.

I am not an
Iranian national. I am also not a bot for the Iranian government or any other, thank God as I couldn't be that shallow nor that low. I am not impressed either by any human accomplishment since humans were created to do wonders if they stay the course through knowledge and strive to be noble and industrious. For Iranians to accomplish wondrous feats is very natural, and it fits their genetic makeup throughout history as pioneers in human knowledge and creative undertakings.

I am simply stating what I know to be true & factual through my decades of reading and research, as well as my practical involvement in many aspects of design engineering and manufacturing since mid 1990s.

However, I would be dishonest if I deny my love for Iran and Iranian as a civilized nation with brilliant history, and a bright future by grace of God.

Last edited:
why you always ask such sensitive strategic questions consistently? it was what is Iran getting for giving Russia drones, but what is Iran getting back, now its this. hmm.
bro I'm just curious, i'm not working for the IDF to get coordinates to strike bavar sites and know exactly how it works by coming here :no:

Images of the radar screen of the upgraded Bavar 373 system during the system test at a range of more than 300 km. The approaching target, which was locked on at a distance of 318 km and an altitude of 4,703 meters (15,430 feet), is finally shot down at a distance of 306 km.
media%2FFg4SMcnXgAc7hFc.jpg

media%2FFg4SPDZWYAcF0lZ.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom