What's new

Iran Woman Soldier 1979 and Today

Saw someone commenting on old Iranian female troops looked more "happy", so I thought I chip in to that discussion.

During the Pahlavi Dynasty before the Islamic Revolution, the Shah wanted to demonstrate that Iran was becoming a modern nation, equal among Western nations. For that he recruited hundreds of women into the military as a show of equal gender rights. The thing is it is really just a show and not anything substantial. The women selected were all members of wealthy or upper-middle class families that supported the Shah. They are not representative of the actual female population, which many lived impovished lives at the time.

So next time if you're wondering why they look happier, I'd be happier too if I was top 20% wealthiest of the population and living a cushioned life provided my socio-economic status.

Saw someone commenting on old Iranian female troops looked more "happy", so I thought I chip in to that discussion.

During the Pahlavi Dynasty before the Islamic Revolution, the Shah wanted to demonstrate that Iran was becoming a modern nation, equal among Western nations. For that he recruited hundreds of women into the military as a show of equal gender rights. The thing is it is really just a show and not anything substantial. The women selected were all members of wealthy or upper-middle class families that supported the Shah. They are not representative of the actual female population, which many lived impovished lives at the time.

So next time if you're wondering why they look happier, I'd be happier too if I was top 20% wealthiest of the population and living a cushioned life provided my socio-economic status.

Are you sure mate. Take a look at the pics again. They looked NCOs to me and if you belong to a rich family, you don't enlist yourself into the Army as a NCO. You may go to some Western country for a fancy degree and flash it or you just find yourself a rich guy to marry. And even if you do wish join, you might join as a medical officer or something, not a bolt action rifle carrying foot soldier.

Are you sure mate. Take a look at the pics again. They looked NCOs to me and if you belong to a rich family, you don't enlist yourself into the Army as a NCO. You may go to some Western country for a fancy degree and flash it or you just find yourself a rich guy to marry. And even if you do wish join, you might join as a medical officer or something, not a bolt action rifle carrying foot soldier.
Yes, I am quite sure. I had a class studying Iranian history pre-1979 Revolution during my 2nd year in university. Nurses, communication operators and some support jobs are filled by NCOs, so it's not surprising to find women in these roles during Shah days. In fact, few of the women were actually officers. To make it short, women in the old Iranian military were well connected to the former regime, and not your ordinary folks. They would be the equivalence of children of wealthy Indian political families, businessmen and government officials.

Yes, I am quite sure. I had a class studying Iranian history pre-1979 Revolution during my 2nd year in university. Nurses, communication operators and some support jobs are filled by NCOs, so it's not surprising to find women in these roles during Shah days. In fact, few of the women were actually officers. To make it short, women in the old Iranian military were well connected to the former regime, and not your ordinary folks. They would be the equivalence of children of wealthy Indian political families, businessmen and government officials.

Whatever it may be Shah was a supporter for Women Rights as seen in the situation of women pre and post 1979

Last edited by a moderator:

Well since you studied it formally so you have a better chance to get it right but then my doubts were based on the reasoning I gave. Secondly, I don't think that women were allowed to be officers back then in most armies including many western armies ( I could be wrong ). Thirdly, women have a very rare chance to be an officer in any conscript army bar communist armies.

I'll be happy to accept your part of the story if you provide me some better reasoning. As for the India related part, I never found any member of a rich and powerful family joining armed forces. Royal families a different thing though.

Is not same logic apply to many clothes including Indian sari ?

saree3.jpg

but dude women who wear burqa ,sari daily are trained to manage it..Its not rocket science to understand this
women in indian army do not wear saris!
sikh-women.jpg

Me%20Shakti%20hu%20WOMEN_4035f.jpg

pic_6.jpg

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 PM ----------

Wow they are better equipped then Pakistani and Indian police.

of course they are better than the indian police.
but certailnly not indian army.police in india do not use much weapons

in the same wau ummul momineen hazrat ayesha ra fought war. ( i dont remeber the name of war). in the same wau ummul momineen hazrat ayesha ra fought war. ( i dont remeber the name of war).

you mean Battle of Jamal (Bassoorah/ Camel)?-

Well since you studied it formally so you have a better chance to get it right but then my doubts were based on the reasoning I gave. Secondly, I don't think that women were allowed to be officers back then in most armies including many western armies ( I could be wrong ). Thirdly, women have a very rare chance to be an officer in any conscript army bar communist armies.

I'll be happy to accept your part of the story if you provide me some better reasoning. As for the India related part, I never found any member of a rich and powerful family joining armed forces. Royal families a different thing though.
It's not a story. It's a well accepted fact in university courses about Iranian history. It is the way it was. Your reasoning that rich woman would want to marry instead of enlisting is not based on factual grounds. You need to understand the context of Iranian society at the time to understand it. I also urge you to find books on the subject, as numerous former members had written about their experiences pre-1979, very interesting stuff.

Shah placed a large number of his close associates inside the military, and as part of his modernization projects, included friends and family members of those associates. Connection to the regime was vital for a woman at the time to join the Iranian military. It was a privilege at the time, and very few were able to do so. In another words, it's a show piece for the regime. However, they are still military personal, thus basic weapons training was mandatory, eventhough they were never meant to enter combat.

Whatever it may be Shah was a supporter for Women Rights as seen in the situation of women pre and post 1979

While women in general did enjoy greater freedom during the Shah era, ou need to understand that photography published during were often of well off middle to wealthy classes. Biggest problem with Shah was that he had little touch with the common people. In addition, many of these comparison videos and photos are published by opposition groups to the current regime, so use your judgement when you see them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anybody tell me if China too is occuping a part of Kashmir after they fought the 1962 indo china war???... what about our muslim brothers there...shall we get back that Kashmir too?

Back
Top Bottom