What's new

Iran’s Sunnis, Saudi’s Shias; a Fair Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Salmon I have a lot of time for you but you are making light of my comments. I stated relatively small. Perhaps you should check out other religions like Christianity and the differences in their sects but they manage to be non partisan. Compared to their differences ours could be construed as small.

In any event this thread was started by an Indian and some of you are itching to have your say so have it.

You can choose to highlight the differences and or concentrate on the alleged atrocities of either sects

LOL, christians don't even agree on the date of Christmas... In Russia and slavic countries we celebrate it in January 7... Now I bet many here didn't know that. :toast_sign:

Salmon I have a lot of time for you but you are making light of my comments. I stated relatively small. Perhaps you should check out other religions like Christianity and the differences in their sects but they manage to be non partisan. Compared to their differences ours could be construed as small.

In any event this thread was started by an Indian and some of you are itching to have your say so have it.

You can choose to highlight the differences and or concentrate on the alleged atrocities of either sects

No !
I have no interest in causing a squash here ...
I am explicitly asking you to study the differences independently without prejudice.
Then, try to think why these differences appear.
When you find that formula, apply that formula to Jewism, Christianity etc etc, any other religion.
You will be very very surprised with results.

Trust me on this one, there is actually historical and scientific lesson in this.

LOL, christians don't even agree on the date of Christmas... In Russia and slavic countries we celebrate it in January 7... Now I bet many here didn't know that. :toast_sign:

That russian flag in your profile .....
I learned long ago, never to contest in mathematics of logic when I see that flag.
can't win !

That russian flag in your profile .....
I learned long ago, never to contest in mathematics of logic when I see that flag.
can't win !

We are not here to strife up sectarian debate but bridge tensions by contesting opposing viewpoints regarding perceived discriminatory treatment. If that was a sarcastic comment, then I think you are not in the right place and you are nobody to judge anyway.

We are not here to strife up sectarian debate but bridge tensions by contesting opposing viewpoints regarding perceived discriminatory treatment. If that was a sarcastic comment, then I think you are not in the right place and you are nobody to judge anyway.

I was trying to give a compliment !

I was trying to give a compliment !

I see, apologies for the reaction. The point i was trying to make is: Other comparable Abrahamic religions such as christianity is far more divided than any sects of Islam, yet they have never gone to wars based on their sectarian differences. This applies to both sunni and shias. There may be differences - even big differences - but no need for any physical confrontation/proxy war for that. Solve differences on the table. If not on the table, then just live and let live but never by sword.

Yep this is pretty much the truth. At anytime I could have brought the issue of oppressed Sunnis in Iran but I never did that. This isn't the same for Iranians.

In my college one of my friends is Shia but don't give it much thought mostly just tease him about it every once and a while jokingly but that's it. In Iran they are not even allowed to have Sunni mosques. In Saudi Arabia Shia mosques are built with government money even.

But here people tend to look with Iranian glasses and idealize Iran as their lord and saviour.

would you agree that the policy of disallowing Shiias (in both Saudi and Bahrain militaries, national guards) is a foolish policy?

the oppression of Sunnis in Iran is very similar to oppression of Shiias in these 2 countries.....at the same rate, some Shiia groups in Bahrain and Saudi may be involved in anti-state activity the same way some Sunnis in Iran are involved in anti-state activity against Iran....

the situation on "both sides" is the mirror exact....

why not unite yourselves instead of allowing the west to divide you? Shame on both sides, in my opinion.

Exactly bro, I suggest to people here to think on this verse:
'Say, "O People of the Scripture, come to a word that is equitable between us and you - that we will not worship except Allah and not associate anything with Him and not take one another as lords instead of Allah. ..."' --Quran 3:64 (This was address to Christans and Jews!)
Just dont highlight the differences (even between Muslims and Christans/Jews)

would you agree that the policy of disallowing Shiias (in both Saudi and Bahrain militaries, national guards) is a foolish policy?

Can't say about Saudi but for Bahrain,policy of disallowing Shia's cannot be called a foolish policy.Bahrain is one of the few countries which allows citizenship for immigrants and they are importing Sunnis (including Pakistani ones) on large scale to change demographic profile.If the hold out for couple of decades,Bahrain would become Sunni majority country.

I find this ignorant bastard deserves no compassion.
طحت من عيني و أنا أخوك ..
ignorant bastard مرة وحدة ؟
أستغفر الله بس . this not a helpful language .
----
as for the subject, if you go to KSU (King Saud univ) you'll find loads of Shia students studying there on the government's expense with no discrimination in this regard .. the same applies to ARAMCO, where many important posts in this national oil company are held by Shias. And I would second IbnAlwaled, Shias are allowed to protest in the streets demanding civil rights and what not while sunnis are imprisoned for less than that (like talking about government corruption) .

the oppression of Sunnis in Iran is very similar to oppression of Shiias in these 2 countries.....at the same rate, some Shiia groups in Bahrain and Saudi may be involved in anti-state activity the same way some Sunnis in Iran are involved in anti-state activity against Iran....

the situation on "both sides" is the mirror exact....

why not unite yourselves instead of allowing the west to divide you? Shame on both sides, in my opinion.

Ummm no not exactly. We have very high ranking Shia officers there was a picture of a colonel in the air force but I can't find it I will post it when I find it.

I see, apologies for the reaction. The point i was trying to make is: Other comparable Abrahamic religions such as christianity is far more divided than any sects of Islam, yet they have never gone to wars based on their sectarian differences. This applies to both sunni and shias. There may be differences - even big differences - but no need for any physical confrontation/proxy war for that. Solve differences on the table. If not on the table, then just live and let live but never by sword.

You are wrong on this count S-19

1.Battle of Ice between Russia and Teutonic Knight.

The 6 Most Insane Underdog Stories in the History of Battle | Cracked.com

32502.jpg

The early 13th century was a rough time to be Russian, because for some reason, every other nation on Earth decided to take turns picking on them. They were attacked first by the Mongols and then by the Swedes, so their forces were already desperately depleted by 1242, when they answered a knock at the door and found the goddamn Crusades waiting for them on the other side. Apparently, the West had decided that the Russians' Eastern Orthodox Christianity was the wrong kind of Christianity.
Going into this battle were some of the most heavily armored knights of the Middle Ages, among them the prominent Livonian branch of the Teutonic Order. As demonstrated by the harsh hit-points they dished out in Age of Empires II, Teutonic Knights were among the most elite, best-financed and overburdened assholes on the planet, wearing head-to-toe armor that made them the closest thing to Iron Man without being Iron Man.

32683.jpg

Opposing them was the rabble of the Novgorod Republic, one of the few Russian principalities still breathing in the aftermath of the Mongols. All they could face the Crusader army with were some poorly armed local militia, two princes, and some of their royal bodyguards.

The Battle of the Ice took place on April 5, 1242, on the frozen straits between the northern and southern parts of Lake Peipus. This ice did not lie flat in the winter, but jagged, like the Fortress of Solitude. Nevertheless, the Crusader army charged across the lake like a bunch of football players, apparently not realizing that doing any kind of fighting on a slippery surface is a bad idea, never mind when you're an army decked out in the heaviest armor in the world.

32685.jpg

The Crusaders ended up fighting hand-to-hand combat for hours on the ice's slippery surface against Novgorodian militiamen standing safely on a beachhead, until someone finally said, "Hey, how about **** this."
When they tried to retreat, though, the ice supposedly broke from underneath them. Though it should be noted that this tidbit comes from the Novgorod chronicles of the life of Alexander Nevsky, aka the single most badass Russian in history. As such, there's a chance that the part about the ice breaking under the Crusaders may have been added just to make for some cooler pictures.

32686.jpg

2.Britain encouraged Piracy against Spain in caribbean in the name of Protestant Vs Catholic Holy War.

The Dutch United Provinces of the Netherlands and England, both defenders of Protestantism, were defiantly opposed to Catholic Spain (the greatest power of Christendom in the 16th century) by the 1560s, while the French government was seeking to expand its colonial holdings in the New World now that Spain had proven they could be extremely profitable.[citation needed] It was the French who had established the first non-Spanish settlement in the Caribbean when they had founded Fort Caroline near what is now Jacksonville, Florida in 1564, although the settlement was soon wiped out by a Spanish attack from the larger colony of Saint Augustine. Aided by their governments, English, French and Dutch traders and colonists utterly ignored the unenforceable line drawn by the Treaty of Tordesillas to invade Spanish colonial territory even in times of peace between their nations in Europe, which gave rise to the famed 16th century phrase: "No peace beyond the line."

Piracy in the Caribbean - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom