What's new

‘Iran next to join emerging power SCO’

Blackmoon

Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
55487cd0-9b3c-4fb2-99cc-d7f2f8bfd651.jpg

Iran is next to join the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) which will officially have India and Pakistan on its roster next week, Kazakh President Nursultan Nazarbayev has said.

Leaders of the regional security group, led by China and Russia, will meet for the summit of their leaders in Uzbekistan’s capital of Tashkent on June 23 and 24.

“We will meet up next time at the SCO forum at which we will include India and Pakistan into the organization,” Russia’s Interfax news agency on Saturday quoted Nazarbayev as saying.

“Iran is the next. So, this organization with three billion residents is becoming a huge power," he added.

Russian President Vladimir Putin and his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping will attend the summit as will Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

There is optimism that the entry of India and Pakistan into the grouping will have a sobering effect on the two nuclear arch-rivals’ ties.

“Besides adding 1.5 billion people under the SCO umbrella, the India-Pakistan admission may also help improve strained ties between India and Pakistan by opening another communication channel,” Xia Yishan, a research fellow of Central Asian studies at the China Institute of International Studies, said.

The SCO, founded in 2001, comprises of China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan as full members and covers political, economic and military cooperation. Afghanistan, Belarus, Iran and Mongolia have observer status.

India and Pakistan had their admission finalized at Ufa summit in Russia last year but the procedures including the adoption of all SCO documents by both countries are still under way and they may have to wait until the 2017 summit for a formal seat among its members.

Iran has long sought membership in the SCO but the group kept the country waiting until it reached an agreement with the US, Europe and other key international players on its nuclear program.

With the addition of Iran, the group would control around a fifth of the world's oil and represent nearly a half of the global population.
44e40fae-cac3-43b0-ac9d-48335f7ad4f6.jpg

The SCO has also sought unity with the BRICS group of world countries - Brazil, India, South Africa, China and Russia. The two bodies have agreed to coordinate efforts to keep their economies stable, launched a development bank and agreed on a currency pool.

Member countries are keen to offer an alternative to an outdated vision of a "uni-polar" world dominated by Washington.

For Russia, the SCO and its close cooperation with BRICS provides a timely counterbalance to Western sanctions over the Ukraine crisis and the West’s military expansion near Russian borders.

The SCO is also a boost to China’s plans to rebuild the Silk Road as its signature foreign policy initiative and reach markets in Europe and Africa.

Under the “One Belt, One Road” policy, unveiled by President Xi in 2013, Beijing seeks to build land, sea and air routes reaching across the Asian continent and beyond with the aim of boosting trade by $2.5 trillion in the next decade.

The West looks at the plan with suspicion, seeing it as part of a political gambit aimed at expanding China's economic presence.

Iran/U.S. relations getting worse day by day !

China won't let a trouble for U.S. interests in...

LOL America is currently threatening us over our island building in the South China Sea, warning us they will take "action" if we do not stop the island building (of course we will never stop).

In comparison, letting Iran join the SCO is nothing much.

LOL America is currently threatening us over our island building in the South China Sea, warning us they will take "action" if we do not stop the island building (of course we will never stop).

Ok ... Will see !

Admitting India and Pakistan into SCO is strategic blunder that SCO has done. Whatever SCO was before now it will become a joke.

The main reason way Iran didn't join in the recent summit was China ...

So why did China disagree with Iran joining the SCO in this round? I hear Russia was very persistent but China disagreed and said they wanted to focus on joining India and Pakistan first.

So why did China disagree with Iran joining the SCO in this round? I hear Russia was very persistent but China disagreed and said they wanted to focus on joining India and Pakistan first.

Well if we want Pakistan and India to join first, then why not? It's not an urgent matter.

Also, the SCO backroom discussions are confidential. So which source is saying that China wants this, did you see any official statement from China to that effect?

Well if we want Pakistan and India to join first, then why not? It's not an urgent matter.

Also, the SCO backroom discussions are confidential. So which source is saying that China wants this, did you see any official statement from China to that effect?
The joining is a time consuming process. They could approve Iran's admission and then the real thing could happen in a year or 2.

Well you can always read between the lines, right? Russia's position was very clear: They wanted to make it happen in the recent meeting:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-uzbekistan-sco-idUSKCN0Z9213

Before India and Pakistan join SCO, China and Russia are the sole influencers of the organization. I'm sure nobody would object to Iran's admission if both China and Russia were backing it. We know Russia was backing it however, they said they could not reach an agreement with their partners. Who is left that can block Russia's efforts? China.

The joining is a time consuming process. They could approve Iran's admission and then the real thing could happen in a year or 2.

Well you can always read between the lines, right? Russia's position was very clear: They wanted to make it happen in the recent meeting:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-uzbekistan-sco-idUSKCN0Z9213

Before India and Pakistan join SCO, China and Russia are the sole influencers of the organization. I'm sure nobody would object to Iran's admission if both China and Russia were backing it. We know Russia was backing it however, they said they could not reach an agreement with their partners. Who is left that can block Russia's efforts? China.

The only thing I got from the Chinese side is that we are focusing on the entry of Pakistan/India first.

It's a question of timing, I don't see why we would oppose Iran's entry if we are even letting India in.

In the end, the backroom discussions are confidential, and the Western media will always be trying to guess what actually happened.

The only thing I got from the Chinese side is that we are focusing on the entry of Pakistan/India first.

It's a question of timing, I don't see why we would oppose Iran's entry if we are even letting India in.

In the end, the backroom discussions are confidential, and the Western media will always be trying to guess what actually happened.
I think China has not still made up its mind about which side it want to back in Persian Gulf region. On one side we have KSA and its gang and on the other side we have Iran. Both Russia and China see SCO as a response to NATO expansion. So it is very credible that at some point, SCO would also involve some kind of mutual defense agreement between its members.

Admitting Iran to SCO, given all the bad blood between Iran and KSA, would put China at odds with KSA and its gangs. Russia doesn't have any issue with that and is already fighting their proxies in Syria. But I feel China just wants to keep both sides of the conflict at arms length. So I think China will continue blocking Iran's admission.

I think China has not still made up its mind about which side it want to back in Persian Gulf region. On one side we have KSA and its gang and on the other side we have Iran. Both Russia and China see SCO as a response to NATO expansion. So it is very credible that at some point, SCO would also involve some kind of mutual defense agreement between its members.

Admitting Iran to SCO, given all the bad blood between Iran and KSA, would put China at odds with KSA and its gangs. Russia doesn't have any issue with that and is already fighting their proxies in Syria. But I feel China just wants to keep both sides of the conflict at arms length. So I think China will continue blocking Iran's admission.

That's a fair point, we have no problem with either Iran or KSA, so it's hard to pick a side.

And we are currently the top trading partner for both these countries.

Personally, I don't think China should get involved in the sectarian divides of the Middle East. That seems like a very dangerous thing to do.

The entire world is fighting in the Middle East right now, except for China. Our only involvement is economic, and in terms of selling weapons like our armed drones to the Iraqi Government.

That said, I do think Iran should be allowed to join the SCO. You have seen we are even willing to let our rivals like India into it, so I don't see why Iran should not be.

Back
Top Bottom