What's new

IPL vs PSL vs BBL – Which is better T20 Cricket League?

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
The world’s most popular T20 cricket league, IPL introduced in 2008 by the BCCI which became instant success and fans help this cash-rich league to become most watched cricket event. Indian Premier League has all elements that require for entertainment like big cricketers, glamour and millions of dollars. After the success of IPL, few other cricket boards also started their own version of T20 franchise leagues like Big Bash League (BBL) and Pakistan Super League (PSL). Today we will compare, IPL vs PSL vs BBL to find which is better T20 cricket league.

As you know IPL is run by BCCI like that, BBL and PSL is run by Cricket Australia and Pakistan cricket board respectively. All these three leagues are common in terms of format but still have some differences. IPL has entered in its tenth edition while BBL is just six seasons old and PSL is started last year, still, these two leagues are giving tough competition to IPL.

Indian Premier League has set the standards for the leagues including lucrative tv rights deal, most popular T20 league, most watched league and also one of the highest attended league in the world. While Big Bash League (BBL) is the second after IPL but it has changed the cricket viewing experience of fans. So, we decided to compare the IPL, PSL and BBL to see which league is the best cricket league in the world.

Popularity: (IPL)
Indian premier League is a clear winner here because it is the most watched T20 cricket league. World’s richest cricket board knows how to market compared to other boards. IPL has better structured, highest average attended and huge media coverage. IPL is broadcasted by around 25+ sports network in most of the countries around the world while PSL is broadcast in 8 cricket countries.

BBL is the 2nd most popular tournament and hence, it is broadcast in 10 countries. The popularity of Big Bash is increasing every season while there was fall in tv ratings of IPL last season.

Average Attendance (IPL)

The IPL is the most-attended cricket league and ranks sixth among all sports leagues in the world. The Melbourne derby between the Stars and Renegades in the BBL 2015 witness 80,883 fans in the stadium. Big Bash now becomes the 9 most attended sports league in the world while PSL average attendance per match is low as it is held in the UAE.

Money: (IPL)

PSL first season total prize money was 1 Million USD which is too low compared to what IPL offers a total prize money of US$5.9 million. 5.9 Million USD. BBL offer a total of $890,000 as prize money. Comparing all 3 leagues total prize money, Indian premier League is way ahead of other leagues.

Commentators: (BBL)

IPL features a long list of commentators from serious to funny like Manjrekar, Shastri, Siddhu and Danny Morrison but BBL commentators are way more entertaining. BBL features Ricky Ponting, Mark Waugh, Adam Gilchrist, Damien Fleming along with guest commentators like legendary West Indian Sir Vivian Richards, Mr.CricketHussey, Kevin Pietersen, Brandon McCalam and more.

Quality Players: (IPL)

When quality players are concerned Indian Premier League wins this round as almost all big and legendary players have played in the IPL including Sachin Tendulkar, Pointing, Adam Gilchrist, Muttiah Muralitharan, Shane Warne, Anil Kumble, Graeme Smith, Glenn McGrath and more.

Quality of Cricket: (BBL)

All other factors become secondary when it comes to quality of cricket. Definitely, IPL features more runs, wickets, boundaries and sixes per match which enjoyed more by the crowds but most of the big sixes and huge totals are due to flat Indian pitches and smaller grounds compared to those in Australia.

The IPL bowlers give extras at an average of 10 runs /match while Big Bash bowlers give extras at an average of 5.28 runs/match. PSL has completed its first season but they provide extras at an average of 15 runs /match. From this figure, it is clear that Big Bash bowlers are much more disciplined as compared to IPL & PSL which means BBL show higher standards of bowling. Overall, BBL provides good quality cricket and lesser entertainment.

http://www.sportsind.com/cricket/ipl-vs-psl-vs-bbl/

India's 1.3 billion cricket crazy people means IPL will top the list in revenues, player salaries, audience attendance, board casting money etc etc.... by huge margins.

The biggest disadvantages of BBL and PSL is that they don't feature Indian players who are the main draw in India. So there is no question that BBL and PSL will ever topple IPL.

16508760_1719721574984791_1968235988707361187_n.png

All these Leagues are GOOD for the Players and Spectators

The more the merrier

India's 1.3 billion cricket crazy people means IPL will top the list in revenues, player salaries, audience attendance, board casting money etc etc.... by huge margins.

The biggest disadvantages of BBL and PSL is that they don't feature Indian players who are the main draw in India. So there is no question that BBL and PSL will ever topple IPL.

Well, I highly apologize.I am not denying your kind intenstions but as long as politics will influence Indian sports and multimedia industry, things won't flourish b/w Indians and Pakistanis nor they will be ever able to work with synergy.
Here is an old article written in 2012 by Raja Yousuf, where he summed up history of IPL with Pakistan.Except Azhar Mehmood in 5th IPL event, none was selected but humiliated due to influence of Indian politicians, hence making bad impact.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First IPL:

Pakistani players knocked the tournament and Sohail Tanvir was the leading wicket taker. But when Shoaib Akhtar complained fabout not receiving the contracted amount, he became the bad boy.

Second IPL:

India accused Pakistan of involvement in the Mumbai attacks, and the Pakistani cricket players paid the price when they were banned from the league. When Shahrukh Khan opposed the ban, he was threatened by Shiv Sena during the screening of his film “My name Is Khan”.

Third IPL:

The Pakistani players were invited to take part in the bidding process where they were badly snubbed. Out of the 11 Pakistani players, which included Shahid Afridi, Sohail Tanvir and Umar Gul, none were selected.What can be more insulting than inviting these players and then refusing all of them, even when they were badly needed?

Fourth IPL:

Nothing changed for Pakistan, and no Pakistani cricketers were included in the IPL. What amazes me is that despite this development, Wasim Akram agreed to coach the Kolkata Night Riders. Doesn’t representing Pakistan mean that if one unit is rejected, the others should boycott the league as well? It is a pity that Akram did not decline the offer.

Fifth IPL:

The ban continued this time as well. But when I heard that Azhar Mahmood was bought for $200,000 I was more shocked than humiliated. How could he play for a country that is actively rejecting his teammates? What inspired Mahmood to present his British passport to the league and beg to be included? Was it in the spirit of diplomacy, or for monetary gain?

Lalit Modi recently admitted that the BCCI exerted undue pressure on the franchise for not selecting Pakistani players. He said in an interview to CNN-IBN that “arm-twisting happened by senior BCCI officials that nobody should pick them”. This shows that our players were not shunned based on merit, but due to an internal plot to keep them out.

Avijit Ghosh, senior editor at The Times of India said:

Undeniably this is a shameful episode in Indian cricket history. And if it is a question of politics, then Indian authorities should have been upfront and open about it. Lalit Modi should at least say sorry to the Pakistani players.

If the Indian government can take their dignity so seriously then why can’t we? This is the fourth time we have been affronted, but it seems that we are planning to do nothing about it. We vigorously give lectures about self-respect and dignity, but when it comes to Pakistan’s esteem, we do nothing.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blog: IPL: A story of continuing insults for Pakistan
Reference: The Express Tribune
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regards

Last edited:

Nahh you are over estimating your value now.. The biggest disadvantage for PSL is not being at HOME..

Nahh you are over estimating your value now.. The biggest disadvantage for PSL is not being at HOME..

Yes, it is a disadvantage. But the OP is about comparing IPL, PSL and BBL. Even if PSL is played in Pakistan, there is noway PSL can match IPL in revenues, player salaries, audience attendance, board casting money etc

Well, I highly apologize.I am not denying your kind intenstions but as long as politics will influence Indian sports and multimedia industry, things won't flourish b/w Indians and Pakistanis nor they will be ever able to work with synergy.
Here is an old article written in 2012 by Raja Yousuf, where he summed up history of IPL with Pakistan.Except Azhar Mehmood in 5th IPL event, none was selected but humiliated due to influence of Indian politicians, hence making bad impact.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First IPL:

Pakistani players knocked the tournament and Sohail Tanvir was the leading wicket taker. But when Shoaib Akhtar complained fabout not receiving the contracted amount, he became the bad boy.

Second IPL:

India accused Pakistan of involvement in the Mumbai attacks, and the Pakistani cricket players paid the price when they were banned from the league. When Shahrukh Khan opposed the ban, he was threatened by Shiv Sena during the screening of his film “My name Is Khan”.

Third IPL:

The Pakistani players were invited to take part in the bidding process where they were badly snubbed. Out of the 11 Pakistani players, which included Shahid Afridi, Sohail Tanvir and Umar Gul, none were selected.What can be more insulting than inviting these players and then refusing all of them, even when they were badly needed?

Fourth IPL:

Nothing changed for Pakistan, and no Pakistani cricketers were included in the IPL. What amazes me is that despite this development, Wasim Akram agreed to coach the Kolkata Night Riders. Doesn’t representing Pakistan mean that if one unit is rejected, the others should boycott the league as well? It is a pity that Akram did not decline the offer.

Fifth IPL:

The ban continued this time as well. But when I heard that Azhar Mahmood was bought for $200,000 I was more shocked than humiliated. How could he play for a country that is actively rejecting his teammates? What inspired Mahmood to present his British passport to the league and beg to be included? Was it in the spirit of diplomacy, or for monetary gain?

Lalit Modi recently admitted that the BCCI exerted undue pressure on the franchise for not selecting Pakistani players. He said in an interview to CNN-IBN that “arm-twisting happened by senior BCCI officials that nobody should pick them”. This shows that our players were not shunned based on merit, but due to an internal plot to keep them out.

Avijit Ghosh, senior editor at The Times of India said:

Undeniably this is a shameful episode in Indian cricket history. And if it is a question of politics, then Indian authorities should have been upfront and open about it. Lalit Modi should at least say sorry to the Pakistani players.

If the Indian government can take their dignity so seriously then why can’t we? This is the fourth time we have been affronted, but it seems that we are planning to do nothing about it. We vigorously give lectures about self-respect and dignity, but when it comes to Pakistan’s esteem, we do nothing.
Blog: IPL: A story of continuing insults for Pakistan
Reference: The Express Tribune
Regards

Well I would personally like Pakistan players in IPL, and I don't understand the logic behind keeping Pakistan player out of IPL, but politics between India and Pakistan has its own logic.

PSL 2017 'The Spirit Trophy' unveiled in Dubai

373920_38835646.jpg

The trophy is encrusted with 50,000 crystals

DUBAI (Web Desk) – ‘The Spirit Trophy’ for the winner-to-be of Pakistan Super League’s second installment this year in Dubai has been unveiled for the media on Monday.

Chairman of the league, Najam Sethi and captains of all five participating teams were present for the ceremony among others.

The trophy is encrusted with 50,000 crystals, a message posted on social media website by the franchise administration revealed.

bowler(1).jpg

Fazal Mehmood Award for the best bowler unveiled

wicketkeeper.JPG

Imtiaz Ahmed Award for the best wicketkeeper unveiled

batsman.JPG

Shoaib Malik unveils Man of the Tournament Award

IPL despite long history of controversies will remain the most popular premier league simply because the Indian population outnumbers rest of the cricket loving nations in the world. I don't watch IPL for the same reason many Indian people may not be watching PSL as it doesn't have Pakistani players and vise versa

I like BBL as its probably the most excitement format out of the 3 but due to my work commitments I hardly get time to watch cricket anymore

the only cricket tournament that i have waited for and watched with enthusiasm was/is PSL ( not even world cup )
yup its foolish to compare PSL with other leagues plus i dont think any league no matter how old can compete with IPL interms of revenue and attendance as they have the most cricket hungry nation ( IMO) . Quality cricket is another debate & i wont indulge in it as dont watch any other league

Back
Top Bottom