What's new

Intensive Farming in Desert

These fake propagandaism teaches us to never take some1- whose country is exporting her womenfolk, seriously.

He probably saw the thread about china building a road through the desert n thought emulating that

Don't want to be a party pooper but this is regular farming not exactly desert farming. Rainfall in Bình Thuận province is about 1000mm annually compared to <100mm for Kashgar and <50mm for Hami which is famous for its hami melons.

To be considered a desert, annual rainfall needs to be below 250mm or 10 inches and Vietnam isn't in a dry region. With abundance of water, it is easy to grow crop. Water management is the difficult part, thus the title being "Intensive Farming in Desert" is misleading.
5712.jpg

Last edited:
Don't want to be a party pooper but this is regular farming not exactly desert farming. Rainfall in Bình Thuận province is about 1000mm annually compared to <100mm for Kashgar and <50mm for Hami which is famous for its hami melons.

To be considered a desert, annual rainfall needs to be below 250mm or 10 inches and Vietnam isn't in a dry region. With abundance of water, it is easy to grow crop. Water management is the difficult part.
View attachment 489800

I think the farmers are growing crops on sand dunes. Dunes are perfect natural filters to filter brackish water, and they furthermore can hold a considerable amount of fresh water. In the Netherlands, these dunes are a major source for drinking water for coastal cities like The Hague. But yeah, this nothing like the actual desert farming that is done in Xinjiang.

China can turn these dunes to dessert quite easily by blocking water flow from Hong river
:lol:

Mui Ne is a tropical resort, isn't it? Just did a google map search of Mui Ne and Phan Thiết, and the place is basically tropical rainforest as you would expect from a area close to the Mekong Delta. If sand dunes are deserts now, then we have plenty of desert too at Scheveningen and the Wadden here in the Netherlands lol

Also, this now makes much more sense why the Vietnamese farmers choose to grow crops there; sand dunes are a known natural source for ground water, because of their 'fresh water bubble'. So despite the lack of nutrients in the soil, the crops can still get their nutrients from the fresh ground water underneath.
Nonsense. Vietnam has a tropical climate, basically tropical resorts can be established everywhere. Nha Trang is a famous resort. Most of Chinese tourists go there. rare rainfall, lack of ground water, combined with the heat make those counties to “desert”. Rain forests and jungle lie inland, not at the coast. Mui Ne lies at the coast. the distance to Mekong Delta is about 400km. I think You have never see the jungle in VN.

E7993CFC-890B-4F7E-A398-E0E94D2F8688.png

Yes such intensive farming in glas house can be found in many places in the Netherlands. One can assume VN copies the technique. Nutrients and soils can be added, water be delivered by automatical sprinkler system.

Rain forests and jungle lie inland, not at the coast. Mui Ne lies at the coast. the distance to Mekong Delta is about 400km. I think You have never see the jungle in VN.

The distance to the closest delta mouth is probably more about 100-200 KM, albeit not exactly close, but you know what I am trying to get at. Also, wasn't the annual rainfall in that area well over a 1000mm? Those aren't exactly conditions for desertification. I think dunes are a more appropiate term.

Last edited:
Beautiful :smitten:. 哈密瓜 looks tasty. Here it is expensive. In the Mainland,much cheaper. How is the price in Vietnam? @Viet
Super cheap for high income people as Chinese. From what I read: Dragon fruit depending on quality between $1.5 and $3 per Kilo.

Honeydew melon about $1.3 per kilo.

Back
Top Bottom