What's new

INS Vikrant, India's First Indigenous Aircraft Carrier, To Be Handed Over To Indian Navy In May

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
The INS Vikrant, India's first indigenous aircraft carrier (IAC), will be handed over to the Indian Navy in May, reports The New Indian Express.

The aircraft carrier, which has been constructed by Cochin Shipyard Limited (CSL), will be named "INS Vikrant" after it is handed over to the Indian Navy.

Bejoy Bhasker, director (technical), CSL, during a press conference held on Thursday (28 April) in Kerala's Kochi, announced that the final sea trial of the aircraft carrier would be conducted in the next few weeks.

He added that the Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC) will be commissioned on Independence Day on 15 August this year.

"The final sea trial was scheduled for this month but faced a slight delay. We will hand over the IAC to Indian Navy next month after which the ship will take the name of INS Vikrant. India's first aircraft carrier will be commissioned on Independence Day in August this year," Bhasker was quoted in the TNIE report as saying.

Around 60 per cent of the components of the aircraft carrier are indigenous while remaining 40 per cent have been imported.

The official further said that a new aircraft carrier of IAC specifications can by built by the shipyard in just five years.

"We have gained experience in the IAC project. If the Indian Navy asks us to bring out another aircraft carrier of 45,000-ton category like INS Vikrant, we can do it in five years," Bejoy was quoted in the report as saying.

The IAC uses ski-jump technology for launching the aircraft from the carrier.

He asserted that the shipyard can also make aircraft carriers that use the Electromagnetic Aircraft Launch System (EMALS) deployed in the US Navy's aircraft carriers.

"Similarly, we are expanding the capacity of our dry dock here and we can make an aircraft carrier of up to 70,000 tonnes now. We can also manufacture Jack-up rigs and LNG vessels here," he added.

FReeKH_XEAIg0rB
FRCWwJkakAESJOh

It will be harbour queen 2. Mark my words.

I think it will do better than Harbor Queen 1, the Vikramaditya, by going to sea three weeks every four years instead of just two weeks every four years like India's current and only "operational" carrier. lol

How much experience can you possibly get by sailing that little? The Liaoning or Shandong launch and recover more aircraft in one deployment than the Indians in all 8 years of the Vikramaditya career. The thing's continuously harbored.

Has a jet fighter actually landed or taken off from this ship yet? I would think that criteria would be pretty important before handing it over no?

Does anyone know why the deck coating is so shinny, slippery and wet?

Has a jet fighter actually landed or taken off from this ship yet? I would think that criteria would be pretty important before handing it over no?
The aircraft component includes the MiG-29K fighters, Kamov-31 Air Early Warning Helicopters, the soon-to-be-inducted MH-60R multi-role helicopter and the indigenous advanced light helicopters (MK III)

I think it will do better than Harbor Queen 1, the Vikramaditya, by going to sea three weeks every four years instead of just two weeks every four years like India's current and only "operational" carrier. lol

How much experience can you possibly get by sailing that little? The Liaoning or Shandong launch and recover more aircraft in one deployment than the Indians in all 8 years of the Vikramaditya career. The thing's continuously harbored.
It also has two 32 cell VLS (Vertical Launch System), capable of firing 64 missiles in total.
It is equipped with the Indo-Israeli Barak 8 surface to air missile for long range defence against aerial targets

Barak-8 has shown outstanding success when it reportedly shot down a Russian made Iskander short-range ballistic missile during the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict in 2020.

It still has to get it's MF-STAR, which also means no B8 fitted in it till now. Also F18SH trials still pending, meaning it's a long way before it get it's dedicated air arm.

Pretty much just to garner news on Independence day. Nothing concrete.

It still has to get it's MF-STAR, which also means no B8 fitted in it till now. Also F18SH trials still pending, meaning it's a long way before it get it's dedicated air arm.

Pretty much just to garner news on Independence day. Nothing concrete.
All they had to do was get a bigger lift.. and the Rafale M would have easily come in, combined training, reducing costs and improving commonality

All they had to do was get a bigger lift.. and the Rafale M would have easily come in, combined training, reducing costs and improving commonality
Was meant for Mig29 and Su30, when being designed no one thought there would be a time when we would purchase fighters from West again.

Rafale M still fits, problem will be in Vicky. Problem with Rafale M is absence of 2 seater version capable to operate from aircraft carrier. That's why I think Super Hornet has better chances, plus it can fit on Vicky too.

INS Vikrant does not even have a bulbous bow. Indian pilots are gonna be happy. Great Indian
technology.

Lol. Yup, the bulbous is too hard for this Indian shipyard to make!

Does anyone know why the deck coating is so shinny, slippery and wet?

PDF is blessed to have so many carrier aviation experts gracing the forum.

That the lifts are too small was a rumor dispelled by the MoD:

https://theprint.in/defence/eye-on-...ne-to-india-in-2022-for-showcase-trip/751244/

Sources in the defence establishment sought to allay fears expressed in some quarters that the lift of the indigenous aircraft carrier was small and would not be able to accommodate either the Rafale M or the F/A-18. While the Boeing fighter comes with foldable wings, Rafale does not.

“The mere fact that both companies are eager to offer their aircraft means that they have taken into account various measurements,” a source said, refusing to get into the specifics.

By the way, do you really want to retain all the high quality posts I quoted above, from stalwarts of carrier aviation?

PDF is blessed to have so many carrier aviation experts gracing the forum.

That the lifts are too small was a rumor dispelled by the MoD:

https://theprint.in/defence/eye-on-...ne-to-india-in-2022-for-showcase-trip/751244/

By the way, do you really want to retain all the high quality posts I quoted above, from stalwarts of carrier aviation?

In three calendar years 2019-2021, 34 months, the Vikramaditya went to sea just twice and both times it was just off the coast of India.

Has it left port yet in 2022? ;)

Follow this thread about India's sole "operational" carrier Vikramaditya! lol

Unlikely the Vikrant will be much better.

Back
Top Bottom