What's new

INS Godavari (F20) to be decommissioned next month.

Gen Padmanabhan

Reaction score
Country
India
12310614_1043020439094739_793624280160893043_n.jpg

INS Godavari (F20) to be decommissioned next month.

After 32 years of service, INS Godavari (F20), the lead ship of Godavari class of frigates will be finally put to rest. She was involved in Op-Cactus back in 1988 when she successfully intercepted the Cargo ship hijacked by the mercenaries and rescued the hostages off the Sri Lankan coast.

She was one of the first vessels in Indian Navy to receive Barak-1 SAM System. Six months back, she donated her AD weapons (Barak-1 SAMs and AK-630 CIWS) to aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya.

32 Years is not very long. It still can serve as a patrol ship for at least till 2020 with another refit. Or may be as an training ship in either coast guard or navy. Please don't scrap it.

32 Years is not very long. It still can serve as a patrol ship for at least till 2020 with another refit. Or may be as an training ship in either coast guard or navy. Please don't scrap it.

Was discussing in another thread that maybe we can donate it to Vietnam or Philippines....and do a refurbishment/upgrade cost as appropriate/required (while giving hull for free). I was wondering if anyone knows the state of her steam turbines.

Was discussing in another thread that maybe we can donate it to Vietnam or Philippines....and do a refurbishment/upgrade cost as appropriate/required (while giving hull for free). I was wondering if anyone knows the state of her steam turbines.
Yes, maybe upgrade it with Klub, new CMS system and a diesel engine.

@Cossack25A1 Was it you that I brought this up with in that thread? I forgot already lol.

@Viet You think Vietnam might be interested?

Vietnam has better options.

The best thing we can do is, to use it ourselves.
As a patrol cum training ship either in navy or in coast guard.
No nation will buy a warship for 5-8 years.

It's not English or American. Even those ships won't be useful beyond 45 years.

They may use this ship as target for 'Brahmos' in future tests. Anyway She did her job well.

I agree, it should be sold to Coast Guard for a nominal mount and then used as a training ship.

That ship looks better than most first line vessels of our neighbours.

INDIA HAS rediculous NAVAL supremacy in this region

So sad, I remember touring this ship many many years ago as a child on one of it's goodwill visits. I even got a cap with the ships name and symbol emblazoned upon it, but my brother ruined it :cry:

Back
Top Bottom