What's new

Indonesia picks the F-15EX to push back on China

Status
Not open for further replies.
In July 2023, Asia Times reported that Indonesia is still committed to South Korea’s KF-21
However, the complexities of such an approach, such as interoperability concerns and financial difficulties, can raise questions about its sustainability.

Indonesia defense spending next year is at 8.8 billion USD or less than 0.6 % of its projected GDP in 2024 (1.5 Trillion USD), I dont think there will be problem in the financing as long as our economy can still grow at 5 % every year.

About interoperability concern, Indonesian Air Force I think will be able to manage it and starting in 2040 Indonesia Air Force fighter squadrons will likely be equipped with only three types of fighters which are Rafale (42), F15 EX (8 until 24) and KF21/ IFX (possibly at 100 planes in 2040- very possible number as we have the production line in the country and the design is fit with the future challenge).

Last edited:
That was because IK did not renew the agreement with the US. Now that agreement has been signed many defence deals will follow.
For example how many deals are final?? And you know all deal lol

And IK recent example we requesting V upgrades for year but USA was denied us since 2014-15

Don't live in your fantasy world and wishful thinking

F15EX are not coming to Pakistan in near or far future lol

Lol, to China haters, whenever every country in the region buys some weapons, they are used against the Chinese.
That is how you can sell your writing to the media.

Indonesia has its own defense acquisition program like MEF ( Minimum Essential Force) that hasnt been met and if MEF is finally met in around 2030's then we are likely to continue building the air force into Essential Force ( EF ) program if we still can continue growing at 5 % every year.

Korean doesnt need to complaint as we get some technology restriction in KF21 program.

The Indonesian KFX/ IFX team that is assigned by government to deal with TOT for Rafale order and possibly F15 EX as well. For F15 EX ofset though is more to sweeten the process of making Indonesian Aerospace as one of Boeing design centers, they need to replace their Russia office as soon as possible.

That is how you can sell your writing to the media.

Indonesia has its own defense acquisition program like MEF ( Minimum Essential Force) that hasnt been met and if MEF is finally met in around 2030's then we are likely to continue building the air force into Essential Force ( EF ) program if we still can continue growing at 5 % every year.

Korean doesnt need to complaint as we get some technology restriction in KF21 program.

The Indonesian KFX/ IFX team that is assigned by government to deal with TOT for Rafale order and possibly F15 EX as well. For F15 EX ofset though is more to sweeten the process of making Indonesian Aerospace as one of Boeing design centers, they need to replace their Russia office as soon as possible.

Why does Indonesia need to order both the Rafale & the F-15EX? Isn’t it better to consolidate around a single 4.5+ generation fighter?

There's like literally no proof of J-16 having the same "capability" as the F-15EX.

If you looking for the closest comparison is with another 5th gen fighter.

If you want quality weapons but also "free of strings" look up the Turkish stealth fighter programme. Not to mention also cheap with the Lira being the way it is.
I doubt that

China is producing 5th generation fighters itself, what is it specifically that makes the F-15EX features out of reach for the Chinese?

Why does Indonesia need to order both the Rafale & the F-15EX? Isn’t it better to consolidate around a single 4.5+ generation fighter?

Well right, but politics I guess is playing as we still want to get the support from US and very possible ofset of making Indonesian Aerospace as one of Boeing Design Centers.

Boeing team has already asses Indonesian Aerospace design capability last year and the company pass the test. Boeing even has met with the President last year and talking about that design cooperation.

If the deal is made then Indonesian Aerospace can employ around 100 design engineers to work for Boeing projects.

I doubt that

China is producing 5th generation fighters itself, what is it specifically that makes the F-15EX features out of reach for the Chinese?
I am not an expert, but i have many friends and family in military circles. Their consensus opinion is that while American equipment is expensive and comes with strings, it is the most high quality and reliable. While many Indians would not admit it, until India got the Rafales, we did not have any plane that was definitively superior to the old Pakistani F16s. Those who fought against Pakistan in 1971 or 1965 will also admit that the latest American equipment Pakistan deployed at that time was superior to what india fielded.

I doubt that

As long as J35 is not yet ready to be put on their aircraft carrier, China will still rely on their 4 generation fighters ( Russian design plane ) in SCS. Unlike India with their land border with China, Indonesia is quite far from China.

F15 EX and Rafale have long range capability, this is fit with our country geography.

I am not an expert, but i have many friends and family in military circles. Their consensus opinion is that while American equipment is expensive and comes with strings, it is the most high quality and reliable. While many Indians would not admit it, until India got the Rafales, we did not have any plane that was definitively superior to the old Pakistani F16s. Those who fought against Pakistan in 1971 or 1965 will also admit that the latest American equipment Pakistan deployed at that time was superior to what india fielded.
I agree with this, but I think that Chinese are making enormous progress and their systems won't turn out to be as much of a disappointment as Soviet/Russian systems have

This is why I don't completely buy the F-15EX hype over completely dominating the J-16 at a significant level

As long as J35 is not yet ready to be put on their aircraft carrier, China will still rely on their 4 generation fighters ( Russian design plane ) in SCS. Unlike India with their land border with China, Indonesia is quite far from China.

F15 EX and Rafale have long range capability, this is fit with our country geography.
They may be Russian airframes but they are completely retrofitted with improved Chinese subsystems, even the very engines are of Chinese-origin

I agree with this, but I think that Chinese are making enormous progress and their systems won't turn out to be as much of a disappointment as Soviet/Russian systems have
That remains to be seen. The Americans don't just have superior tech, they also have a robust process, developed over decades, to vet any equipment they deploy. I am not sure that process can be replicated under an authoratarian regime like China.

I doubt that

Jammer Pod and EW Suite

EW is notoriously hard to perform ON your own stealth platform, because it's self-interference your own system. I had wrote an article jointly with my brother (Who was a Marine pilot who are qualified for EA-18G Growler) on here, so I am not going to explain again

But the tradition EW capability for China is unknown, while you can guage it with whatever lens you want, but the fact that there were no EW suite in Chinese stealth aircraft would means they are probably 2 or maybe 3 generation behind the American. Which is more or less Desert Storm level EW capability.

Last edited:
That remains to be seen. The Americans don't just have superior tech, they also have a robust process, developed over decades, to vet any equipment they deploy. I am not sure that process can be replicated under an authoratarian regime like China.
Why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom