What's new

Indonesia explores possibility of obtaining US aid to finance base in South China Sea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reashot Xigwin

Reaction score
Ridzwan Rahmat, Singapore - IHS Jane's Navy International
21 September 2016
Key Points
  • Indonesia is seeking financial support from Washington to upgrade its naval bases
  • Upgrades will strengthen the Indonesian navy's presence in the South China Sea and Sunda Strait
A delegation of five senior Indonesian Navy (Tentara Nasional Indonesia-Angkatan Laut, or TNI-AL) officers are currently in the United States to explore the possibility of tapping into Washington's foreign military financing (FMF) programme to fund upgrades of a naval base in the South China Sea, sources within the service told IHS Jane's on 20 September.

The delegation of flag officers has been invited under Washington's Distinguished Visitor Orientation Tour (DVOT) and will also make visits in several cities to study the US Navy's installations and training facilities including Quantico in Virginia, and San Diego in California. The visits are taking place over two weeks till end-September 2016.

Jakarta is currently in the process of upgrading the TNI-AL's facilities at Ranai on Pulau Natuna Besar to support a larger deployment of ships in the South China Sea region.

A transcript of a meeting between Indonesian National Armed Forces commander, General Gatot Nurmantyo, and the Indonesian House of Representatives commission on defence, intelligence, and foreign affairs (Komisi I) in February 2016 also revealed that the country is planning to locate its third submarine base on the same island.

Besides upgrading its base in the South China Sea, proceeds from the FMF is also being planned for the upgrade of another naval base at Piabung in Lampung, which lies close to the Sunda Strait - a major sea line of communication through the archipelago.

Depending on the outcome of this exploratory visit, IHS Jane's understands that a formal request for the FMF will be made by the Indonesian Ministry of Defence to the US' Department of Defence at a later time.

http://www.janes.com/article/63976/...ing-us-aid-to-finance-base-in-south-china-sea

US troops have already operate on Philippines and have access to PH's largest naval base as a move to counter China. So Indonesia don't have to do that. What we need is a lot of fund to upgrade our outer islands military facilities to shield our territories from any unwanted intrusion.

US troops have already operate on Philippines and have access to PH's largest naval base as a move to counter China. So Indonesia don't have to do that. What we need is a lot of fund to upgrade our outer islands military facilities to shield our territories from any unwanted intrusion.
How do you expect to get good US weapons if you don't allow them to station in your soil? First I thought vietnamese and indians are naive and have wet dreams every night., don't tell me you guys also ?

How do you expect to get good US weapons if you don't allow them to station in your soil? First I thought vietnamese and indians are naive and have wet dreams every night., don't tell me you guys also ?
do the philipine get good USA weaponry for harboring US millitary all this long??
the answer is NO,
obtaining it you need to purchase it your selfself.
US millitary already have presence in singapore and phillipine and soon in vietnam, let them deal with the chinese

We are talking about defence cooperation with US to fund part of our military base upgrade on Natuna. We don't expect any weapons from this deal. Indonesia can procure it's weapons from Europe, Russia, US, or even China... There's no need to push the relation beyond existing boundaries.

Last edited:
We are talking about defence cooperation with US to fund part of our military base upgrade on Natuna. We don't expect any weapons from this deal. Indonesia can procure it's weapons from Europe, Russia, US, or even China... There's no need to push the relation beyond existing boundaries.

Do not fall into unnece
better idea is to allow US troops to operate in indonesia to pivot and counter china. more effective than upgrading bases.

Is Indonesia is an ally from US? Rather, i would say, as our world population is increasing, find out the technology and logitics of how China built the island in the sea and with China help, you can build many island for your country...

We need more space to accommodate our population mate...

@Jlaw don't worry, it's a win-win solution. the money from the aid will be used to buy weapons from China, while the US will get more support from the govt for the aid. we are not a claimant for the SCS so you have nothing to worry about. we're just being pragmatical.

@Jlaw don't worry, it's a win-win solution. the money from the aid will be used to buy weapons from China, while the US will get more support from the govt for the aid. we are not a claimant for the SCS so you have nothing to worry about. we're just being pragmatical.
Indonesia's military is only good for taking on Vietnam and PH at best. China is not worry. They are probably worry that you won't be able to pay off your loans to them for infrastructure if you start spending so much in military.
like i said, the best way is to ally with US. As long as you allow them to station troops in your land, you can get access to some of their better weapons.

Indonesia's military is good enough to ward-off any intrusion from external nuisance. And US as our strategic partner could lend some help to strengthen our outer-islands infrastructure, so those islands could work as Indonesia's maritime stronghold.

US don't need to station their troops on our soil, since they can move freely between Japan, South Korea, Philippines, Taiwan, and Singapore.

Last edited:
Indonesia's military is only good for taking on Vietnam and PH at best. China is not worry. They are probably worry that you won't be able to pay off your loans to them for infrastructure if you start spending so much in military.
like i said, the best way is to ally with US. As long as you allow them to station troops in your land, you can get access to some of their better weapons.

Hahahaha ... It is interesting to hear from you that the most concern for China is the incapability of Indonesia to repay their "huge loans" to you .... not its military ..:-)

In the worst scenario .. what will China do if Indonesia fail to repay their loans when due? Do you have any guarantee or arrangement from their gov't to secure your position ?

Hahahaha ... It is interesting to hear from you that the most concern for China is the incapability of Indonesia to repay their "huge loans" to you .... not its military ..:-)

In the worst scenario .. what will China do if Indonesia fail to repay their loans when due? Do you have any guarantee or arrangement from their gov't to secure your position ?

Indo military is best at going against PH and Vietnam capturing their fishing boats and blowing them up.

You can take a try doing not repay the loans, I am also interested in what China will do for this, maybe in your opinion, you needn't pay for credit defaults, hehe.

On topic
In the world, no free lunch, especially comes to US aid, while you appeal for it, prepare accepting its additional politial conditions, I think if it is in line with Indonesia's interest, of course, you can, that's your country, you decide. Correspondingly, we also will make response to it.

For the US, this move is part of its agenda to strengthen the cooperation between the two countries. They could help us to fund the upgrade of Natuna military facilities, and Indonesia will help them by conducting the Joint Patrol initiative, together with US on Natuna Sea to secure this important shipping lanes, south of the SCS. Win win for both.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom