What's new

Indonesia executes drug convicts, sparks anger from Australia, Brazil

thesolar65

Reaction score
Country
India
CILACAP, Indonesia (Reuters) - An Indonesian firing squad executed eight convicted drug-traffickers from several countries on Wednesday, prompting Australia to recall its envoy to Jakarta and bringing an angry reaction from Brazil.

The leaders of Australia and Brazil had made personal appeals for clemency for their citizens among the group, raising the stakes for Indonesia's new president, Joko Widodo.

Australia has deep commercial and political ties with its big neighbour, while Brazil has a $5 billion trade surplus with Southeast Asia's biggest economy. Brazil is also at risk of losing a major military export deal to Indonesia over the executions row.

Both countries oppose capital punishment and have railed against Widodo's move to step up the pace of executions, after a five-year moratorium, since coming to office last July.

"We respect Indonesia's sovereignty but we do deplore what's been done and this cannot be simply business as usual," Prime Minister Tony Abbott told reporters in Canberra.

He said ambassador Paul Gibson would return to Australia by the end of the week.

"I want to stress that this is a very important relationship between Australia and Indonesia but it has suffered as a result of what's been done over the last few hours."

Australians Myuran Sukumaran and Andrew Chan were executed by firing squad along with four Nigerians, a Brazilian and an Indonesian shortly after midnight on Wednesday.

Charlie Burrows, religious counsellor to the Brazilian convict who was with the prisoners before the execution said all eight had refused blindfolds before they were shot.

Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop said Australia had yet to receive confirmation of the executions from Indonesia. Despite the lack of formal notification, media showed pictures of ambulances carrying the wooden coffins of the dead for the journey back to the Javanese port of Cilacap.

Recalling an ambassador is a step rarely taken by Australia, and never previously taken over a prisoner execution. Still, Abbott cautioned against a trade or tourism boycott, as the hashtag #boycottIndonesia trended on twitter.

MILITARY DEAL AT RISK

The Brazilian government said in a statement it was shocked by the news, which marked the second execution of a Brazilian in Indonesia in three months despite President Dilma Rousseff’s personal humanitarian appeals.

Brazil’s foreign ministry said it was evaluating ties with Indonesia before deciding what action to take. It recalled its former ambassador in Jakarata after the first execution and said Wednesday it had no plans to replace him.

“Given the lack of a satisfactory reply to our appeals, this has to be evaluated to decide what attitude we will adopt towards Indonesia from now on,” Brazil's Deputy Foreign Minister Sergio Franca Danese told reporters.

Indonesia said earlier it was reviewing its procurement of a squadron of 16 Brazil-made Embraer EMB-314 Super Tucano aircraft and an order for multiple rocket launch systems after Brazil refused to allow Indonesia's new ambassador to take part in a credentials ceremony.

The United Nations described the executions as "extremely regrettable, extremely sad" and reiterated its appeal for Indonesia to reinstate its moratorium on the death penalty.

"Indonesia appeals for clemency when its own nationals face execution in other countries, so it is incomprehensible why it absolutely refuses to grant clemency for lesser crimes on its own territory," said Rupert Colville, U.N. human rights spokesman in Geneva.

The families of Australians Chan and Sukumaran released a statement early on Wednesday that said they were grateful for the support they had received.

"Today we lost Myuran and Andrew," the statement said.

"In the ten years since they were arrested, they did all they could to make amends, helping many others."

Jakarta rejected last-ditch pleas from around the world for clemency to be granted to the eight drug traffickers, although a Filipina on death row with them was unexpectedly spared.

A spokesman for the Attorney General's Office said it had delayed the execution of Mary Jane Veloso, a housemaid and mother of two who was arrested in 2010 after she arrived in Indonesia with 2.6 kg of heroin hidden in her suitcase.

He said the delay was in response to a request from Manila after an employment recruiter, whom Veloso had accused of planting the drugs in her luggage, gave herself up to police in the Philippines on Tuesday.

Supporters holding a vigil for Veloso outside the Indonesian embassy in Manila cheered and clapped on hearing the news.

Rights group Amnesty International said the executions were "utterly reprehensible" and showed disregard for due process.

In Australia and around the world, supporters of those executed expressed sadness, shock and anger on social media.

"Ham-fisted policy from a medieval regime," Twitter user Darren Reid said. "You will never get a travel cent from me."
Indonesia executes drug convicts, sparks anger from Australia, Brazil - Yahoo News India

We have around 64 foreign prisoner on death row today mostly on drug traffic related crime. 14 alredy executed this year, Including citizen from Brazil, Netherland, Australia, Vietnam, and Nigeria. Will be a tough year with all the international publication and outcry, since we will clear the backlog this year.

Last edited:
Only 4 comments in almost 2 hours?

Just change Indonesia to KSA and then see how many members come and comment.

We can see social media outcry on Australian media (Guardian), Daily mail, Yahoo news or Jakarta Post.

death.jpg

Last edited:
lol, you lot don't really know what's going on.

The Australia are NOT DISPLEASED to see Indonesian Government execute their Citizens. A Sky news Program aired this morning around the same time of execution have cover issue.

The Australian is crying foul on the information exchange leads to the execution.

People need to know, the arrest of Bali Nine by the Indonesian Police were instructed by the AFP (Australian Federal police) after the Australian pass out information about the Bali Activities, where the AFP could have wait until the Bali 9 to board the plane and fly to Australia and net them there, Indonesia do not know nor understand the operational detail of Bali 9 before the arrest and the information sharing.

Now, what pissing Australian off is that the way AFP handle this incident, why they have to notify the Indonesian Authority and arrest the 9 and risk them facing death penalty but not wait until they came back to Australia?? While this is an EXPORT operation by the bali 9, it have miminal interest to Indonesian Government

One possible scenario (As no one actually knows) is that Indonesian Authority promise not to pursued Death Sentence to the arrestee and the Ringleader (Chan and Sukumaran) would be indicted back to Australia so they can go after the head of the organisation, this is not to be and by executing the ring leader, our FM think the Indonesian back track their promise and this is not how diplomacy is played.

Do notice that we have Australian on death row in China, Singapore, Malaysia and in South America, we are not protesting those??

anyone knows how many indonesians are on death row in overseas?

One possible scenario (As no one actually knows) is that Indonesian Authority promise not to pursued Death Sentence to the arrestee and the Ringleader (Chan and Sukumaran) would be indicted back to Australia so they can go after the head of the organisation, this is not to be and by executing the ring leader, our FM think the Indonesian back track their promise and this is not how diplomacy is played.

This is most likely the case. It's a common police tactic.

Andrew Chan is just a small fry drug mule. Real ring leaders never board planes and smuggle drug themselves, they stay home calling the shot.

Philippine woman drug convict's execution delayed

CILACAP, Indonesia (AP) — A Philippine woman convicted of drug smuggling — one of nine people due to face a firing squad — has been granted a stay of execution, Indonesia's attorney general said Wednesday.

Related Stories
  1. Indonesia executes drug convicts, sparks anger from Australia, Brazil Reuters
  2. Indonesia executes foreign drug convicts, defying global anger AFP
  3. Profiles of 8 drug traffickers executed in Indonesia Associated Press
  4. Families of death row inmates head to Indonesia AFP
  5. Indonesia defiant as UN leads condemnation of looming executions AFP
Attorney General Muhammad Prasetyo did not comment on whether the executions of two Australians, four Nigerians, a Brazilian and an Indonesian man had been carried out as scheduled shortly after midnight.

Indonesia media reported that the eight had been executed, citing official though unidentified sources.

Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott announced that Australia will withdraw its ambassador from Jakarta in response to the still unconfirmed executions of two Australians, Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31.

"These executions are both cruel and unnecessary," Abbott told reporters.

"Cruel because both Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran spent some decade in jail before being executed and unnecessary because both of these young Australians were fully rehabilitated while in prison," he added.

View gallery

Indonesian activists hold portraits of inmates, all convicted on drug charges, during a demonstratio …
Brazil's President Dilma Rousseff said in a statement the execution of a second Brazilian citizen in Indonesia this year "marks a serious event in the relations between the two countries."

Brazil had asked for a stay of execution for Rodrigo Gularte, 42, on humanitarian grounds because he was schizophrenic.

Brazilian Marco Archer Cardoso Moreira was one of six drug convicts including foreigners that Jakarta executed in January, brushing aside last-minute appeals from Brazil and the Netherlands. Indonesia has 125 people are on death row, including 49 drug convicts.

Indonesian President Joko Widodo has vowed to show no mercy to drug criminals.

Gunshots were heard around 12:30 a.m. local time (17:30 GMT) from Nusakambangan island where executions take place.

View gallery

In this photo taken Sunday, April 26, 2015, workers load coffins that will be delivered to the priso …
Mary Jane Fiesta Veloso, 30, had been arrested in 2010 at the airport in the central Indonesian city of Yogyakarta, where officials discovered about 2.5 kilograms (5.5 pounds) of heroin hidden in her luggage.

Prasetyo said Veloso was granted a stay of execution because her alleged boss has been arrested in the Philippines, and the authorities there requested Indonesian assistance in pursuing the case.

"This delay did not cancel the execution. We just want to give chance in relation with the legal process in the Philippines," Prasetyo said.

Mary Jane Veloso's mother, Celia, told Manila radio station DZBB from Indonesia that what happened was "a miracle."

"We thought we've lost my daughter. I really thank God. What my daughter Mary Jane said earlier was true, 'If God wants me to live, even if just by a thread or just in the final minute, I will live," Celia Veloso said.

View gallery

Chintu Sukumaran, left, brother of Myuran Sukumaran, an Australian on death row, arrives at Wijayapu …
"That's what she said and it became true. So I really thank God for this miracle that happened to my child," she said.

Michael Chan, brother of Andrew Chan, who became a Christian pastor during his decade in prison, reacted with anger.

"I have just lost a courageous brother to a flawed Indonesian legal system. I miss you already RIP my Little Brother," Michael Chan tweeted.

The executions were widely condemned.

"The execution of these eight people for non-violent drug offenses will do nothing to reduce the availability of drugs in Indonesia or other countries, or protect people from drug abuse." Ethan Nadelmann, executive director of the New York-based Drug Policy Alliance said in a statement.

View gallery

A paper printed with the name of Filipino woman on death row for drug offenses Mary Jane Veloso is p …
"All it demonstrates is the savagery of which governments are capable," he added.

London-based Amnesty International called on Indonesia to abandon plans for further executions.

"These executions are utterly reprehensible," Rupert Abbott, Amnesty International's Research Director for Southeast Asia and the Pacific, said in a statement.

"They were carried out with complete disregard for internationally recognized safeguards on the use of the death penalty," he added.

He said the prisoners were killed despite having at least two ongoing legal appeals. Some were reportedly not provided access to competent lawyers or interpreters during their arrest and initial trial, in violation of their right to a fair trial, he said

View gallery

Brintha Sukumaran, center, sisters of Myuran Sukumaran, an Australian on death row, cries upon arriv …
Ambulances carrying coffins arrived Tuesday at a prison island and relatives paid final visits to their condemned loved ones as Indonesia announced it would execute the eight foreigners and one Indonesian man on drug charges, despite an international outcry and pleas for mercy.

At least five ambulances carrying coffins were seen driving through the port city of Cilicap, where the prison island ferry lands, more than four hours after the reported executions. They are thought to be carrying executed prisoners' bodies.

The nine inmates were given 72-hour notices over the weekend that they would be executed by a firing squad, prompting a flurry of last-minute lobbying by foreign leaders. The United Nations has argued that their crimes — possession of heroin, marijuana or cocaine — were not egregious enough to warrant the ultimate punishment.

___

Associated Press writers Rod McGuirk in Canberra, Australia, Kristen Gelineau in Sydney, Niniek Karmini and Ali Kotarumalos in Jakarta, Indonesia, Jim Gomez, Teresa Cerojano, APTV video journalist Joeal Calupitan and photographer Alberto Marquez n Manila, Philippines, Angela Charlton in Paris and Adriana Gomez-Licon in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, contributed to this report.

Philippine woman drug convict's execution delayed - Yahoo News

The Australia are NOT DISPLEASED to see Indonesian Government execute their Citizens. A Sky news Program aired this morning around the same time of execution have cover issue.

The Australian is crying foul on the information exchange leads to the execution.

People need to know, the arrest of Bali Nine by the Indonesian Police were instructed by the AFP (Australian Federal police) after the Australian pass out information about the Bali Activities, where the AFP could have wait until the Bali 9 to board the plane and fly to Australia and net them there, Indonesia do not know nor understand the operational detail of Bali 9 before the arrest and the information sharing.

Now, what pissing Australian off is that the way AFP handle this incident, why they have to notify the Indonesian Authority and arrest the 9 and risk them facing death penalty but not wait until they came back to Australia?? While this is an EXPORT operation by the bali 9, it have miminal interest to Indonesian Government

Do notice that we have Australian on death row in China, Singapore, Malaysia and in South America, we are not protesting those??

yes you had protest and diplomatic spat happened during the execution of Australian in Malaysia back in 89, i recall

A lot of australian are displeased that Indonesian Government execute their "lovely" citizens. They sure love their drug lord. They worship them, hail them as Heroes and crying out loud over this issue. Haha.. we just shrug em off.

yes you had protest and diplomatic spat happened during the execution of Australian in Malaysia back in 89, i recall

lol, I meant now...I don't know about the protest in 89', it maybe under the same circumstance... I don't know, or maybe Aussie are more arrogant back then... hehe

A lot of australian are displeased that Indonesian Government execute their "lovely" citizens. They sure love their drug lord. They worship them, hail them as Heroes and crying out loud over this issue. Haha.. we just shrug em off.

You may think so, but you would be wrong.

The news in this hours are

AFP broke silence and answer the senate committee about the case
The History of Bali 9
The Person.

Not really that much about the execution beside touching the issue while going after the back stories.

I don't know where you heard that a lot of Australia are displeased that Indonesian government, but a lot of Australian are displeased by Indonesian Handling the case (The scenario I mention on my previous post) and the AFP conduct. If I have to say, AFP copped more in this than your government in our media, and I am watching the News in Australia right now, so, well, I don't know if you know anymore than me about how Australian reacted

I do remember coming across a comment calling Australian government to execute all Indonesia prisoner in Australia for serious crime to replicate what your government done to ours, but I just pull a chuckle and click the cross on the screen immediately

Back
Top Bottom