What's new

Indonesia bets big on electric vehicles but has a long way to go

I am extremely happy for Indonesia, Insah'Allah Indonesia will almost become a $2 trillion economy in this decade. At the same, it hurts me that a developing country with a similar population to Pakistan is doing so incredibly well unlike Pakistan.

Thank You. Amin, IMF projected Indonesia to reach 1.9 trillion USD in 2027 and has put Indonesia GDP at 1.4 trillion USD for 2023 with conservative growth projection of 5 % (latest projection)

I think it should be a combination of our contribution and God helps. I believe with God helps. Pakistan inshaAllah will solve its economic problem if the country is more united, instability create nervousness within investors.

So? When is a nickel phosphate battery coming out? :enjoy:

Sodium ion battery will debut this year from CATL. It will revolutionize EV battery market and bring disaster to natural mining oriental industries like Indonesia.
Let see the future...that all technology applied in china. while other country is uncertain to use that technology. i think the common technology will be used worldwide

Let see the future...that all technology applied in china. while other country is uncertain to use that technology. i think the common technology will be used worldwide
China is the leader in EV technology. I dont know what world you are living in. Mercedes, Tesla and Toyota used BYD blade battery. I dont know where you get your info that other country is uncertain. CATL is the leader in EV battery and even your indonesia EV startup buys CATL battery.

Go read more and dont post things you are not sure.

China is the leader in EV technology. I dont know what world you are living in. Mercedes, Tesla and Toyota used BYD blade battery. I dont know where you get your info that other country is uncertain. CATL is the leader in EV battery and even your indonesia EV startup buys CATL battery.

Go read more and dont post things you are not sure.
Does that EV marketed outside china?

Why bateries manufacturer still looking for nickel or lithium that will be their battery material?

January 12, 2023
9:19 PM GMT+7
Last Updated 18 hours ago

Indonesia says investment talks with Tesla still ongoing​

By Bernadette Christina

3JAVLHNDPNLQDOZT4RKVLMPYMY.jpg

JAKARTA, Jan 12 (Reuters) - Negotiations between Indonesia and Tesla (TSLA.O) are still ongoing, a senior minister said on Thursday, following a report that the U.S. automaker is nearing a preliminary deal to build production facilities with a capacity of one million units.

Luhut Pandjaitan, who has been leading the talks with Tesla, declined to disclose further details, citing a non-disclosure agreement.

Bloomberg News also reported that the Indonesia talks include plans for production facilities and to facilitate the company's supply chain, citing people familiar with the matter.

"I can't comment, we're still talking," Luhut told Reuters, adding that he had just recently held another round of talks with Tesla.

Tesla did not respond to a request for comment.

Chief Executive Elon Musk tweeted on Wednesday, "Please be cautious about writing articles citing 'unnamed sources', as they are frequently false," in a comment on a tweet referencing the report.

Indonesia, the world's fourth most populous country, has long courted the U.S. company to build facilities to produce electric vehicle (EV) batteries and electric cars. President Joko Widodo met with Musk to discuss a potential deal last year.

Indonesia's nickel ore can be processed for use in EV batteries and the country is keen to develop a downstream industry at home leveraging its rich nickel reserves, after banning ore exports since 2020.

Musk last month said Tesla was close to picking the location of its new "Gigafactory" following media reports that it could announce a new factory in the northern Mexican state of Nuevo Leon as soon as December.

Tesla currently makes its electric cars in China's Shanghai, Germany's Berlin, and Austin and Fremont in the United States.

Meanwhile, Indonesia has managed to attract other automakers to invest in EV production.

Hyundai Motor Co (005380.KS) and SGMW Motor Indonesia, part of a joint venture of SAIC Motor Corp Ltd (600104.SS), General Motors Co (GM.N) and Wuling Motors Holdings (0305.HK) have built assembly facilities in the Southeast Asian country.

Indonesian authorities have said Japanese firms Toyota Motor Corp (7203.T) and Mitsubishi Motors Corp (7211.T) have pledged investments in EV production.

Companies that have invested or expressed interest in investing in EV battery making include South Korean's LG Energy Solution (373220.KS), China's Contemporary Amperex Technology (300750.SZ), Taiwan's Foxconn (2317.TW) and Germany's BASF, Indonesia's investment ministry said.

Jakarta plans to incentivise EV purchases to make them more affordable this year and encourage sales, government officials have said.

Last edited:
Does that EV marketed outside china?

Why bateries manufacturer still looking for nickel or lithium that will be their battery material?
I don't what nonsense you are asking. I guess your knowledge is very shallow when comes to CATL and BYD blade battery. Please go google yourself and don't expect me to spoon-feed you. As I say even your indonesia EV start up used CATL battery. Maybe you think CATL is from USA. Your reply is only making a fool of yourself instead of me. Everybody know the world EV uses mostly CATL battery and I can bet u are the last to knows that. CATL supply to Mercedes ,BMW, Renault and VW. If you think that is not outside China, then maybe or belongs to Martian.

@Indos don't be a smart Alec and give his post with a like. It just make you as shallow as him.

I don't what nonsense you are asking. I guess your knowledge is very shallow when comes to CATL and BYD blade battery. Please go google yourself and don't expect me to spoon-feed you. As I say even your indonesia EV start up used CATL battery. Maybe you think CATL is from USA. Your reply is only making a fool of yourself instead of me. Everybody know the world EV uses mostly CATL battery and I can bet u are the last to knows that. CATL supply to Mercedes ,BMW, Renault and VW. If you think that is not outside China, then maybe or belongs to Martian.

@Indos don't be a smart Alec and give his post with a like. It just make you as shallow as him.
Battery technology still on progress brother...let see the future...
The manufacturer use CATL batteries for product that mostly marketed inside china.
A little marketed outside china because the country need fast to build EV ecosystem.
In indonesia the nickel base battery sure will replace other battery technology.
Nickel battery have best performance.

Battery technology still on progress brother...let see the future...
The manufacturer use CATL batteries for product that mostly marketed inside china.
A little marketed outside china because the country need fast to build EV ecosystem.
In indonesia the nickel base battery sure will replace other battery technology.
Nickel battery have best performance.
I dont know where you get the BS that CATL battery are market mostly inside China. It is widely export to EU and US customers. For your shallow knowledge, let me spoon feed u once.

I dont know where you get the BS that CATL battery are market mostly inside China. It is widely export to EU and US customers. For your shallow knowledge, let me spoon feed u once.

good news! but how many percent CATL EV battery for export? is it bigger than local market?

i'm sure in the near future LG chem and Panasonic will leading in battery for long range EV car.

good news! but how many percent CATL EV battery for export? is it bigger than local market?

i'm sure in the near future LG chem and Panasonic will leading in battery for long range EV car.
China being the biggest market for EV and has a high number of EV running on the street more than any other countries and you expect export more than local usage?

Does it will affect your perception Chinese EV tech is still not acceptable when VW, Mercedes, BMW, Renault, Toyota, Honda, Tesla exporting their EV worldwide using Chinese battery? If you think Chinese tech is not acceptable and made in Indonesia EV can forget about fighting a place in export. Dont try tell me Made in China is some low tech when your country depends on China HSR to complete your 2023 vision.

Made in Indonesia car export 2022

1. Daihatsu 160.254 unit

2. Toyota 134.954 unit

3. Mitsubishi 65.743 unit

4. Suzuki 50.958 unit

5. Hyundai HMMI 42.444 unit

6. Honda 9.030 unit

7. Isuzu 8.254 unit

8. Hino 939

9. Hyundai HIM 664

10. DFSK 344

11. DFSK 18

Source

Freeport Smelter Project Reaches 51%, Will Enter the Electric Car Ecosystem​

Story from Tia Dwitiani Komalasari • Yesterday 9.14pm

AA16ludZ.img

The construction of the smelter project carried out by PT Freeport Indonesia (PT FI) in the Java Integrated and Industrial Port Estate (JIIPE) area, Manyar, Gresik, East Java has reached 51.7 percent. The project is targeted to be completed by the end of 2023 and operate in May 2024.

"Until the end of December 2022, the construction of the project has reached 51.7 percent and swallowed an investment of around 1.63 billion US dollars or equivalent to IDR 25 trillion," said President Director of PT Freeport Indonesia, Toni Wenas quoted from Antara, Saturday (14/1).

Toni said that this development is a form of PT Freeport Indonesia in supporting the government's downstream policy and is making a large investment in the construction of a new smelter as mandated in the Special Mining Business Permit (IUPK). "The total area of the Manyar smelter is around 100 hectares," he said.

He said the Manyar smelter is designed to have a copper concentrate processing capacity of 2 million tonnes per annum which makes it the largest copper processing site in the world.

The processing results of the Manyar smelter will be added to the processing capacity of the smelter that has been operating, PT Smelting, with a processing capacity of 1 million tons of copper concentrate every year.

"Thus, after the Manyar smelter operates, Freeport is able to process 3 million tons of copper concentrate per year," he said.

The Manyar smelter will produce 550,000 tons of copper cathodes per year. The smelter is also equipped with gold and silver refining.

Also Read​

Become an Electric Vehicle Ecosystem​

Toni said that this smelter will be an important part of the electric vehicle (EV) battery ecosystem that is being launched by the government. The electric vehicle ecosystem consists of nickel, cobalt, aluminum, copper, graphite and iron.

"Of course, it is an important part of Indonesia's electric vehicles and will be an important part of renewable energy that is widely built in a number of countries, because 65 percent of the world's copper is used to conduct electricity," he said.

In terms of human resources, Freeport has started recruitment and coaching, so the Freeport smelter will be operated by itself. This development has absorbed a cost of 1.63 billion US dollars or around Rp25 trillion.

Tony made sure this smelter was built with a single line or single-line design and became the largest in the world. He hopes that a total of 600,000 tons of copper metal can be consumed by domestic downstream industries.

"More downstream industries are growing better to support the EV ecosystem and other domestic needs. This provokes the downstream industry to grow if it is accompanied by the right policies and promotions," he said.

Also Read​

The government targets the construction of smelters in the mineral and coal subsector to reach 53 units by 2024. The investment value for the construction of the smelter is estimated to reach US$ 21.60 billion or equivalent to Rp 308.7 trillion (exchange rate of Rp 14,295/US$).

The construction of the smelter will be carried out in stages. In 2020, the number of smelters that have been built reached 19 units. This number consists of 13 nickel smelters, 2 copper smelters, 2 bauxite smelters, 1 iron smelter, and 1 manganese smelter.

The government projects an additional four new smelters to operate this year, bringing the total to 23 units. A year later, the targeted smelter operates as many as 28 units. The number of smelters is also targeted to be 53 units in 2023 and 2024.

JAKARTA, Jan 15 (Vietnam News/ANN): The Association of Indonesian Automotive Industry (Gaikindo) has announced that total car shipments from factories to dealers (wholesales) last year in the country reached 1,048,040 units, marking a year-on-year increase of 18.1%.

Meanwhile, car production in Indonesia in 2022 reached 1,470,146 units. The number grew significantly by 31% from 2021 with only 1,121,967 units.

Indonesia’s car exports also experienced growth in the form of Completely Built Up (CBU) and Completely Knocked Down (CKD) units.

For CBU, total exports reached 473,602 units, 60.7% higher compared to 2021.

CKD exports recorded 596,541 units, growing 5% compared to 2021.

In 2022, the country saw an import of 83,298 units, 74.3% higher than that of 2021, with just 47,779 units. - Vietnam News/ANN

Last edited:
Lithium is more scarcity than nickel

China’s BYD confirmed that it is going all-in on LFP (lithium-iron-phosphate) batteries, scrapping NCM (nickel, cobalt, manganese) technology from its model line-up entirely.

Who says NCM battery does not contain lithium ? The full name of it is “Lithium Nickel Manganese Cobalt Oxide”, it belongs to lithium battery family

Who says NCM battery does not contain lithium ? The full name of it is “Lithium Nickel Manganese Cobalt Oxide”, it belongs to lithium battery family

I know NCM uses Lithium, but the Nickel material dominate. That is just the name of the battery. It is not me who said it as NCM. Indonesia has strategic partnership with largest Lithium producer, Australia, which is also our neighbor

Go read again the context and what I mean as respond to your PDF comrade.

Back
Top Bottom