What's new

India's UCAV To Fly In 2015, Says DRDO. High Hopes?

angeldemon_007

Reaction score
India's concept AURA stealth UCAV could complete prototyping by end 2013, make its first flight in 2015 and enter service in 2017, a senior DRDO scientist has told The Indian Express. Now, either that's a pang of breathtaking optimism, or the DRDO is actually working it. To put it gently, timelines have never been the DRDO's strongest suit, and the target indicated suggests that the AURA (officially only called Unmanned Strike Air Vehicle - USAV, and first revealed here on Livefist) will fly well before India's Tejas Mk.2 and AMCA manned fighter jets. To be sure, very little is actually known about the AURA/USAV apart from the fact that it is being developed as a flying-wing stealth design, and is expected to be powered by a modified version of the Snecma/Kaveri turbofan engine. Most current circumstances indicate that it is highly unlikely that a 2015 first flight is possible, though the secret nature of the programme may just suggest things we don't know yet. I'll say this: I'd be the happiest person on earth if I get to eat my words, but I won't be holding my breath just yet.

LF_AURA_2.jpg

Livefist: India's UCAV To Fly In 2015, Says DRDO. High Hopes?

first flight in 2015? that's fuc-ing ambitious. :blink:

2020 would be more realistic. Let's get on it. :tup:

DRDO is never good with dead lines. But the secrecy of this project may show some magic as we didn't know what's the status right now. Still I would have been more happy person if I would have come to know this news after the test flight in 2015.
We don't need a big mouth for DRDO

DRDO is never good with dead lines. But the secrecy of this project may show some magic as we didn't know what's the status right now. Still I would have been more happy person if I would have come to know this news after the test flight in 2015.
We don't need a big mouth for DRDO

Which country is good with dead lines? Huge successes and high tech innovations with smallest investment, but still some guys are not happy? They want everything on time, though no one ever done anything on time.

I think DRDO will do it earlier than mentioned above. They took less than four years to develop an ICBM, they are working on AURA for quite some times, so it is achievable.

As the complexity arise, there are chances of more failures. We blame drdo for lca but Rafael also took alot of time so did EF. The work on F35 began in early 80s.

I have seen one thing....the first generation of any equipment in drdo takes time but then everything picks up. Look at the missile program. Remember how much time Prithvi, Agni 1 and Agni 2 took ?? Agni 2 still sometimes fails although there's no problem in the system. But the thing to note in missile program is that the latter missiles have shown tremendous success rates, even better than Russians or US. I mean missile test fails all the time but in the last 3-4 years drdo's success rate is off the chart. They learnt from the first set of missiles and then oohlala...

Same goes with UCAV. India has developed a few UAVs by now. They are testing most of the technology on Rustam-1. Look at the various publication in DRDO, you will find some stuff that will end up in AURA project. Alot has been developed and a few technoloy we are getting from Europe.

In short DRDO might end up surprising us.

flying this pv1 in 2015 is not a big deal guys. its not at all ambitious. its just the base model.

but yes making it stealthy, with advanced electronics and weaponising it will take atleast 5-6 more yrs. over all this project wil go upto 2025.

Which country is good with dead lines? Huge successes and high tech innovations with smallest investment, but still some guys are not happy? They want everything on time, though no one ever done anything on time.

I think DRDO will do it earlier than mentioned above. They took less than four years to develop an ICBM, they are working on AURA for quite some times, so it is achievable.
Did you even read what I post bro ??? And where the hell I said I am not happy ???
ICBM didn't come in 4 years. It is result of all past success.
Only thing I am not happy is DRDO being Big Mouthed.
Kindly read before quote :)

I have a free advice for drdo. Complete the tejas mk1 first. Which is still dont have foc

thanks but according to our scientific doctorine prepared by smart planners, india has to leapfrog in science. it has to develop the basic infrastructure and immediately move over to the next step to match the big powers in near future. we want to be ahead of everyone no matter how long it takes.

that is why we have successfull scramjet project which only 2 countries currently have, future transportation will be on scramjet engines and india has successfully tested a scramjet rocket.

that is why we built a hypersonic missiles and building powerfull lasers.

the same reason is why we have this project and amca and tejas all running simultaneously.

whatever time it may takes...but one thing is sure we are on right track of self-reliant...slowly but steadily...

and imo after independence, when they started defence project in 60's...having so much of hurdles like finance, basic technology & infrastructure, isolation from west...WE DID TREMENDOUS JOB...and salute to those great people who believes in self-innovating and research rather than copy-paste-paint.

thats why we are here...now the overall forecast of this trend is strongly saying that out achivements will gonna be double fold compare to what we achieve in last 4 decades in all aspects of science & technology..leading by ISRO , DRDO, HAL , BEML..etc:thank_you2:.

One imp things that makes us diffrent from others is that: when we see UAE, TAIWAN, CANADA is all focusing on buying bunch of few high-tech war machinery...we r more focused towards buying technology..intially costs more but huge boost for our domestic set up in long-runs...salute to our bania visionary and entrepreneurship..:tup:

good going DRDO & ISRO ...wish u all the best for ur future projects:cheers:

As the complexity arise, there are chances of more failures. We blame drdo for lca but Rafael also took alot of time so did EF. The work on F35 began in early 80s.

I have seen one thing....the first generation of any equipment in drdo takes time but then everything picks up. Look at the missile program. Remember how much time Prithvi, Agni 1 and Agni 2 took ?? Agni 2 still sometimes fails although there's no problem in the system. But the thing to note in missile program is that the latter missiles have shown tremendous success rates, even better than Russians or US. I mean missile test fails all the time but in the last 3-4 years drdo's success rate is off the chart. They learnt from the first set of missiles and then oohlala...

Same goes with UCAV. India has developed a few UAVs by now. They are testing most of the technology on Rustam-1. Look at the various publication in DRDO, you will find some stuff that will end up in AURA project. Alot has been developed and a few technoloy we are getting from Europe.

In short DRDO might end up surprising us.

nice analysis dude..thanks for sharing:tup:

I have a free advice for drdo. Complete the tejas mk1 first. Which is still dont have foc

i would suggest you read my above post...and one more thing if you really like to see our work then see as a neutral person without having hate for india as pakistani..then you can see our work and achievements despite of so many problems and sanctions..

and we aprreciate ur criticsm which inspire us to make things better and better..
Kabir Das said:
Nindak niyare rakhiye, Angan kuti chawai,
bin pani sabun bina, nirmal kare subhaiy

Keep your critiques close to you, let their hut be in your courtyard,
That way you don’t need soap n water to cleanse your nature.

flying this pv1 in 2015 is not a big deal guys. its not at all ambitious. its just the base model.

but yes making it stealthy, with advanced electronics and weaponising it will take atleast 5-6 more yrs. over all this project wil go upto 2025.
UCAV according to sources will be powered by powerful turbofan atleast 40 KN of power and will be alot heavier than our normal MALE UAVs. Take off and landing for the UAV of this size and which has such a powerful engine will be a big problem.

Weapon testing can even be started this year on Rustam-1 (If drdo wants).

As far as stealth goes, the design itself is stealthy and in addition to this tejas has helped us learn alot about composites and coatings....add to this the serpentine air intake and internal weapon bay...you can get a pretty good stealth aircraft (manned or unmanned).

Here the biggest problem is the software and various algorithms. I hope HAL and IAI is working hard on Unmanned chetak or dhruv whatever they are making as it would help us alot in this project.

Engine and radar will again be a big problem unless as per the report it will be coming from DRDO-Snecma JV (but that will take time). Kaveri in its present form is too heavy. There are reports of another lighter version of engine being developed for UCAV, i hope it doesn't face much problem like K-9. And work on radars will also start soon. We need an aesa for it to survive as it won't be able to do as much maneuvers as manned aircrafts and will also have lesser speed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In short engine and radars are still the problems and in addition to this we need alot more sensors on a UCAV. There will be alot of programming and i think DRDO should join hands with some IT companies for this project.

UCAV according to sources will be powered by powerful turbofan atleast 40 KN of power and will be alot heavier than our normal MALE UAVs. Take off and landing for the UAV of this size and which has such a powerful engine will be a big problem.

Weapon testing can even be started this year on Rustam-1 (If drdo wants).

As far as stealth goes, the design itself is stealthy and in addition to this tejas has helped us learn alot about composites and coatings....add to this the serpentine air intake and internal weapon bay...you can get a pretty good stealth aircraft (manned or unmanned).

Here the biggest problem is the software and various algorithms. I hope HAL and IAI is working hard on Unmanned chetak or dhruv whatever they are making as it would help us alot in this project.

Engine and radar will again be a big problem unless as per the report it will be coming from DRDO-Snecma JV (but that will take time). Kaveri in its present form is too heavy. There are reports of another lighter version of engine being developed for UCAV, i hope it doesn't face much problem like K-9. And work on radars will also start soon. We need an aesa for it to survive as it won't be able to do as much maneuvers as manned aircrafts and will also have lesser speed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In short engine and radars are still the problems and in addition to this we need alot more sensors on a UCAV. There will be alot of programming and i think DRDO should join hands with some IT companies for this project.

engine is an off the shelf product. i am sure soon drdo will decide to go for foreign engine even for this plane. there is simply not enough time to build a plane as well as an engine.
about the design then i am sure it is almost done and testing for certification going on.

after seeing that saras took flight in 20 months and lch in 24 months, it is clear that india is extremely quick in building prototypes, but they remain prototypes for forever after. i hope this one sees the day of light soon.

Back
Top Bottom