What's new

India's Greatest Ally: Pakistan

Neo

RETIRED

New Recruit

Reaction score

By Vivian Salama

Several weeks ago, I made the acquaintance of a high-ranking Indian military official who was passing through Abu Dhabi. Our meeting coincided with reports of U.S. air strikes on targets in Pakistan near to the Afghan border. During our candid discussion, the attaché pounded his fist over the desk, insisting that any attack on Pakistan inevitably hurts India. "Target Pakistan and you send shockwaves into India," he said.

India has, for years, found itself in a predicament with regard to its relationship with Pakistan. While it may be in the country's interest to take firmer action against Pakistan whenever it receives credible evidence of a plot, the two countries will accomplish far more in deterring security threats if they work together. While relations have been hot and cold between the two countries over the years, they are ultimately an extension of one another and therefore must recognize that attacks and counterattacks will reverberate across their borders.

India must also realize that Pakistani citizens are just as victimized by the threat of terror as they are. This year alone, some 600 terror-related incidents have been carried out on Pakistani soil, killing nearly 2,000 people - mostly civilians. While these attacks in Pakistan can be viewed as a domestic - and not transnational - problem, it is fair to expect some level of cooperation from the victimized portion of Pakistan's population. India should capitalize on this by positioning itself as a partner for peace. To do so credibly, however, it must demonstrate that it is cracking down on the domestic fundamentalism that has emerged within its borders, leaving many of its own citizens - Muslims especially - feeling vulnerable and victimized.

The deterioration of law and order in some of Pakistan's Northwestern regions has created a near-impossible security situation for Pakistan's intelligence and military but it also puts India between a rock and a hard spot. It is in neither country's best interest to engage in a military confrontation. For India, this is a waste of important resources. For Pakistan, it is a no-win situation as the country has no match for India's mighty military.

Given the tumultuous relationship between the two countries, it is important that they work together to ensure that intelligence is shared on such security matters and that Pakistan in particular is doing what it can to deter radicalism from spilling over its borders. India is a large country with more than a billion residents presenting an utterly impossible security challenge. It cannot expect to ensure its security and protect its borders without the help of its neighbors. In the fight against terrorism, Pakistan is, perhaps ironically, India's greatest ally.

Excellent read, I couldn't agree more! Just checked out the profile of the author:

Vivian Salama

USA/Middle East

Vivian Salama is an award winning reporter, producer and blogger. She has reported for various publications from across the Middle East, Sub-Saharan Africa, the Balkans, the United States and North and South Korea. She has also appeared as a commentator on the BBC, South African Broadcasting Corp., Iran's Press TV, NPR and as a reporter for Voice of America radio. A native of New York, Salama is currently based in Dubai where she reports for The National. Salama has an MA in Islamic Politics from Columbia University and she previously worked as a lecturer of international journalism at Rutgers University.

Hope there are more people like him to understand the whole story but hence i dont understand India's double play as i was watching just now Indian channel HT which had a almost a hour show about Pak Army and blaming it a 100% behind all terror attacks on Mumbai and saying Pak Army is behind all terror attacks else where stating that a Army is within a Army and that Pak Army trains & eqp's these terrorist's against attacks i dont understand how peace will happen friendship with these typs of words and news on national indian channels that are aired world wide as i saw !!

In spite of allegations and counter allegations, both government has handled situation arising after mumbai attack decently. Many people in Pakistan does not like the way President Zardari handled the situation, but given the situation of Pakistan (both economically and strategically ), he has done a fair job. In India also, there were section of people who were hoping to see some action across the border were disappointed by maturity shown, by government. Indian government talked tough on terror, at the same time did not accuse GOP or ISI directly or issued statement detrimental to future relation.

Last edited:
Yes, but I am shocked to know that there are people in Pakistan(especially in view of Zaid Hamid's video Omg! do most Pakistanis believe that? ) who believe that 9/11 and mumbai attacks were staged?

PLease reply with what you believe about the two attacks...

Back
Top Bottom