What's new

India’s defence imports 40 times its export basket

It doesn't make much difference whether it was indigenous or made in India weapons.

On the contrary, it makes a huge difference!

An aircraft designed and developed abroad, for operational requirements different to them we have in India, just manufactured in India means => no benefits for increased development know how of our aero industry, just better production standards of basic parts and no focus on specific requirements of the Indian forces for the Indian environment (focus on hot and high capabilities, focus on materials and EW...).
That's why it's important to not just make India to a cheap production hub of basic parts, but to get the industry in JV or even better in joint developments that includes the development of critical techs and systems, as well as includes requirements of our forces.
Brahmos joint development includes the basic licence production of Russian parts in India, but more importantly the development and implementation of own systems, the modifications to any application our forces require, the upgrade development according to the needs of the Indian environment or needs. Compare that to a basic licence production of a western cruise missile in India, without credible ToT, no customization, no modifications developed and implemented by our industry...

Yes to counter India because This Junk chinese Subs are not good enough. I do not say that. It is said by China Times.

China considers buying four Russian Amur-Class AIP submarines|Politics|News|WantChinaTimes.com

China needs submarines to counter threats from India's fleet and build a fleet to resist America's influence, said the Voice of Russia,

It is natural for India and China to show interest in Russia's Amur-Class submarines, said a retired Russian Navy general named Sivkov. The submarine is superior to the export version of China's 877 submarine and China would want the Amur-Class vessel since India has them.

It prove that that huge inventory of Junk is not woth countering Indian Subs or American Subs.
wow, you cite a taiwan-based , anti-China bullshit as truth to support your argument? which further prove india will never be a qualified opponent for China. by the way, there are tons of west reports about China collasp on the web in the past 20 years, you can go to celebrate everyone of them.

Ask your countryman who stayed in China, india's story only serves as a laugh stock for entertainment in our domestic forum, nothing more. you are not worth for us to take you seriously.

Or other wise 'I dont have anything in our nation to counter your argument'
Good :tup:
Yes man thats what i was talking about... you are everything while Pakistan is nothing... Carry on (y)
Here is just the glimpse for you...may be you can see world is not circling around India and India is not everything... For your info recent azmat class Fast attck craft boats were made in Karachi Shipayard and this is for you ‘Made in Pakistan’ weapons being sold to 40 countries and Here is the Pakistan's own Battlefield Integrated Management System :: GIDS - LAND :: and the list goes on but as i said you know what India media shows you "Pakistan is nothing but India is everything ;) "

Last edited:
We all know that imported items are costlier than the domestic ones.
India manufactures 60% of its defence equipments in house.So we are in the right direction.
And its funny to see the ever jealous cheerleaders,dancing in every indian defence related threads.Please go and celebrate on getting the much needed LOAN from other countries :D :D

Few years back, China had this this honor being No 1 importer of Arms. After talking so much about indigenous engine and AESA, now you guys have gone back to basic. China has decided to use Russian engine and AESA for J 20 and other plane. After hyping the copy pest planes like J 1 to 100, Now china has decided to buy Su 35 as well as Russian subs to counter India. Good luck for that.

Russian AESA for J-20?

Don't tell me you are reading junks like Kanwa?:rofl:

China's AESA technologies are light years ahead of Russia。

Yes,China is still using Russian engines for J-20‘s test flights,that's because Chinese engines need time to mature。

Yes,China is still using Russian engines on some other types of fight jets,that's because China needs to run down its stock of Russian engines that were ordered and purchased years ago but phase-delivered in the last few years。

Chinese electronics and avionics are way way ahead of Russian ones。You will know if you read Russian publications which openly admit so these days。:D

The ratio of weapon imports to exports will only increase for India over the next decade。

That's the way it should be for a country that doesn't seem to be able to make its own rifles。

Well, your diagram, proved my point even more.
Developed/weathier countries seems to be the ones spending less on their military GDP % wise. How come developed countries like Italy, Germany, Japan, Australia etc spend just 1% or so of their GDP on defence than poorer developing countries like India who need this cash even more to improve their living standards than rich countries, and to make things worse a major proportion of this amount is spent on importing weapons from us in the west/U S and Russia, making our companies even more wealthier than they are already.:disagree: Same poor countries like Pakistan spending a huge proportion of their GDP on defence with a considerable amount in imports. Meanwhile thus money would gave better spent in the country itself/economy. Developing countries need to take their acts together, and know where their priorities should lie. At least even though Russia still overspends on its military(over 4%:o:, more than way more than china, india and even U.S)o_O ), still most/almost all of their military spending is spent locally/internally and they also exports tons of them abroad earning them valuable cash. so I will still give them that, they gave an excuse at least :cheesy:, even though that is unsustainable in the long run as well.
Saudi Arabia and UAE get almost all their major weapon systems from abroad, but I can still give them this, since they have the cash/money to burn and a relatively decent living standards. Though they sure could do far better.:D
Anyway hope these poorer countries will get their acts together as their living standards improve , spend wisely, as this billions are needed more internally than onbuying fancy tots from our defence companies/lobbies. After all, nobody is ever going to attack/invade a nuclear power like north Korea, much less bigger ones like Pakistan or India. :pop:

We have to keep the threat in the neighborhood check ie Pakistan & we spend only 2.5% of our GDP neither to much & not to low so we are doing fine

The ratio of weapon imports to exports will only increase for India over the next decade。

That's the way it should be for a country that doesn't seem to be able to make its own rifles。

Are you trolling or playing dumb
we already made a rifle in the 90s for situation in the 90s & are now making one for 21st century

For your info recent azmat class Fast attck craft boats were made in Karachi Shipayard and this is for you

Exactly what I meant-You guys are boasting about license producing this Chinese designed Fast attck craft .Meanwhile we are building aircraft carriers,destroyers,frigates & corvettes of indigenous design,and exporting OPVs & Corvettes

Yes man thats what i was talking about... you are everything while Pakistan is nothing... Carry on (y)
Here is just the glimpse for you...may be you can see world is not circling around India and India is not everything... For your info recent azmat class Fast attck craft boats were made in Karachi Shipayard and this is for you ‘Made in Pakistan’ weapons being sold to 40 countries and Here is the Pakistan's own Battlefield Integrated Management System :: GIDS - LAND :: and the list goes on but as i said you know what India media shows you "Pakistan is nothing but India is everything ;) "
LOL,are we supposed to get impressed with this??
If you want to get out of your delusions then check our SIPRI's website and who imports more on per capita basis.

Well, the military spending diagram is what interests/intrigues me. His come Saudi Arabia outspends us, Japan, France, Brazil, India, Germany etc, even though all these countries have a far far far bigger economy than Saudi? Wow.
Also surprised to see India spends more than Brazil, even though the later has a bigger economy. Same with Russia outspending the U.K, France, Japan Germany, Brazil, even though the later countries have a bigger economy than Russia.

Taking all these into consideration, seems India, Russia, Saudi wahabi Arabia still overspends on their military. Especially Russia(which I kind if understand, since its one if the few/only thing left that makes it relevant/world power today). I will say Japan is one of the few countries in this group, who despite having a very very high standard of living, still spends quite small amount/wisely on its military........interesting news, Thanks for the post.

Well Saudi Arabia is one the biggest importer of Arms, thanks to the deep pockets and availability of cutting edge technology. It has at its disposal anything and everything that US, British and other European, even China has on offer. Right from English Electric Lightning II, Tornados, F 15, Eurofighter... it has everything at its disposal. Spoilt for choices.
Till the oil wells of Arabian Peninsula keep gushing black gold, SA will keep splurging money and tensions in the region perhaps justifies the spendings.

Exactly what I meant-You guys are boasting about license producing this Chinese designed Fast attck craft .Meanwhile we are building aircraft carriers,destroyers,frigates & corvettes of indigenous design,and exporting OPVs & Corvettes

Don't burst his bubble man :mad::mad:

so the Viets must be in deep shock if they still have 2 brain cells left :woot:, since what they will import from India will be nothing more than the re-painted imports of this middle-man with elevated prices. "Brahmos", "Brahrome", "Brahisrael"...come to mind :rofl:

If we haven't had imported this much and waited for our PSUs to deliver we would have been a dead nation by now.

But we are fast reaching a saturation point where we are in a position to reverse this trend with the exception of few bare necessity military equipment s.

Back
Top Bottom