What's new

India's Cold Start

India plans to strengthen warfare machinery

India plans to strengthen mountain warfare machinery
N C Bipindra in New Delhi
June 13, 2008 13:52 IST
In a move that could raise the hackles of neighbouring Pakistan and China, India will soon raise two new division-sized army formations to give more teeth to its mountain warfare machinery.

The Defence Ministry's proposal for raising of the two mountain divisions was approved recently by the Cabinet Committee on Security, ministry sources said.

The proposed mountain divisions will further enhance the tactical strength of the Indian army in its strategically important areas along the borders facing its traditional rivals -- Pakistan and China.

Each division - with a personnel strength of 10,000 to 13,000 troops - has a minimum of three brigades with a personnel strength of about 3,000 to 4,500 men each.

With options open to deploy on the mountainous terrains anywhere along the borders with the two neighbouring countries, the two new divisions could be raised in states from Jammu and Kashmir [Images] to Arunachal Pradesh, including Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, and Sikkim.

The Army already has 10 Divisions dedicated to mountain warfare and another infantry division earmarked for high altitude operations.

"The two new formations will be raised in a two-phased plan in about five years," the sources said.

Under the first phase, which will be implemented in two years, the two new divisions headquarters along with a brigade each, would come up, including the headquarters' support elements such as signals, provost, and intelligence units.

Implementation of the second phase would take another two to three years and during that period the complete division would be ready for operation.

At the end of the five years for raising the new formations, the two divisions would also have its air elements functional.

The air assets would include helicopter gunships and attack helicopters to provide the two divisions capabilities to carry out manoeuvres for countering the terrain impediments.

"The gunships and attack choppers will be necessary for providing the two formations fire power in a mountain terrain, as the army will not be in a position to deploy tanks and armoured vehicles," sources said.

The fire power in the third dimension (air) was required due to difficulties the army would face in using artillery guns also in an operation on a mountainous terrain.

"The air assets are an integral part of any mountain division to provide the fighting ground troops logistics and fire support," the sources said.

What is IAF's role in supporting the IBG's.

The IBG's cannot destroy pakistans war waging capability, without the support of IAF.

Yes, if the military aim is just getting 5-10 kilometers inside, its possible. But even if Pakistan does not escalate, there will be international pressure on India to withdraw. How are we going to handle this ?

What is IAF's role in supporting the IBG's.

The IBG's cannot destroy pakistans war waging capability, without the support of IAF.

Yes, if the military aim is just getting 5-10 kilometers inside, its possible. But even if Pakistan does not escalate, there will be international pressure on India to withdraw. How are we going to handle this ?

The IAF will be tasked with close air support and ensuring tactical air superiority in the IBGs' area of operations.

Shallow penetraton could imply anything (25-100 kms); I believe this "penetration" is more psychological than actual. For example if one or two IBGs begin knocking on Lahore, Pakistan won't see this as shallow.

Cold Start is evisioned to be "mid-way" before the international community has a chance to react.

India intends to withdraw but with a higher hand on the bargaining table.

The IAF will be tasked with close air support and ensuring tactical air superiority in the IBGs' area of operations.

Shallow penetraton could imply anything (25-100 kms); I believe this "penetration" is more psychological than actual. For example if one or two IBGs begin knocking on Lahore, Pakistan won't see this as shallow.

Cold Start is evisioned to be "mid-way" before the international community has a chance to react.

India intends to withdraw but with a higher hand on the bargaining table.

1. It is very unlikely that Pakistan will not escalate if we reach 25 km inside pakistan.
2. If pakistan does not escalate due to international pressure, what can we bargain in exchange for the held ground ? P-o-K ?
3. If you take kargil, there was pressure on Pakistan to withdraw. So definetly, there will be pressure on us to withdraw. And till we withdraw, atleast limited scale war will continue.
4. It relatively feasible in mountain regions of P-o-K, where air PAF cannot provide the required support to the PAK military.

My 2 cents.

1. It is very unlikely that Pakistan will not escalate if we reach 25 km inside pakistan.
2. If pakistan does not escalate due to international pressure, what can we bargain in exchange for the held ground ? P-o-K ?
3. If you take kargil, there was pressure on Pakistan to withdraw. So definetly, there will be pressure on us to withdraw. And till we withdraw, atleast limited scale war will continue.
4. It relatively feasible in mountain regions of P-o-K, where air PAF cannot provide the required support to the PAK military.

My 2 cents.

1. Yup, that is true. The major risk with Cold Start is how will Pakistan react. Note my above post with regard to "psychological penetration."
2. We will bargain for an end to the insurgency and recognition of the status quo. A peace treaty will be on the cards.
3. Limited scale war will continue till both parties sit face to face on a negotiating table.
4. In Pakistani side of Jammu & Kashmir, the terrain is almost very very difficult to capture. Airsupport is no substitute for boots on the ground, and this is all the more true for such a terrain. Plus, I doubt we would want the Pakistani side of Jammu & Kashmir.

2. We will bargain for an end to the insurgency and recognition of the status quo. A peace treaty will be on the cards.

any truce or peace deal signed under pressure will not last. for peace to be prevalant, both sides will have to come to a deal that is satisfactory for both parties. if one party feels they got the raw end of the deal, then hostilities will continue.

any truce or peace deal signed under pressure will not last. for peace to be prevalant, both sides will have to come to a deal that is satisfactory for both parties. if one party feels they got the raw end of the deal, then hostilities will continue.

I must say I see more logic in your viewpoint.

But I'll still maintain the party that is at a higher ground will seek more concessions on the negotiating table.

I must say I see more logic in your viewpoint.

But I'll still maintain the party that is at a higher ground will seek more concessions on the negotiating table.
Vish, I think what SU 47 is saying is correct. See what happened to unfavorable treaties signed after First world war. We have seen 2nd world war. I am just using this as an example. yes the party winning should take some high ground, but it will not solve the matters for eternity.

Thanks, very good article.

Cold start is a good idea, but it may be so tempting that policy makers may actually lower the threshhold of hot war between the two country. Moreover, a 'cold start' may not ended with a sharp cool down, the two country might just exchange indecisive blow after indecisive blow, lengthening the crisis to a muddy fight .

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom