What's new

India's AESA radar development

Thanks, is it a variant of the PAKFA or FGFA?

No. It's not derived from PAK-FA. It will be our F-35 equivalent(role) aircraft.

300px-MediumCombatAircraft1.JPG

Isn't 300 KM a little too less? I mean fighters like Su-35BM can themselves look for 400 KM. This should at least be 500-600KM to make it a decent AWACS system.

I think this will be used for AMCA since we are going at it completely indigenous as compared to Tejas and other programmes that we've got so far. That's why AESA radars took so much time to mature and is being done patiently so that it arrives in time for the AMCA when its for due release.

But this is of course my analysis.

Su-35 can look at 400 km. for something like a ship...for an object of size of aircraft it should be ~200 km...
Even the best AWAC available PHALCON has a detection range of ~370km...

Ohh, my mistake... so are there any AWACS radome that rotates?

E3- Sentry and E-2 Hawkeye antenna is mechanically steered or rotated. It doesn't make much sense to rotate a AESA. With the exception of the E-2D Hawkeye, E-2D is the only hybrid mechanically and electronically steered array in existence.

Su-35 can look at 400 km. for something like a ship...for an object of size of aircraft it should be ~200 km...
Even the best AWAC available PHALCON has a detection range of ~370km...

Irbis-E is a very powerful RADAR...
NIIP claim a detection range for a closing 3 square metre coaltitude target of 190 - 215 NMI (350-400 km), and the ability to detect a closing 0.01 square metre target at ~50 NMI (90 km). In Track While Scan (TWS) mode the radar can handle 30 targets simultaneously, and provide guidance for two simultaneous shots using a semi-active missile like the R-27 series, or eight simultaneous shots using an active missile like the RVV-AE/R-77 or ramjet RVV-AE-PD/R-77M.

Irbis-BARS.png

Flanker Radars in Beyond Visual Range Air Combat

Last edited:
E3- Sentry and E-2 Hawkeye antenna is mechanically steered or rotated. It doesn't make much sense to rotate a AESA. With the exception of the E-2D Hawkeye, E-2D is the only hybrid mechanically and electronically steered array in existence.

Thanks DBC.. Actually I meant to ask rotating AESA radar...

You're welcome, the Phalcon and KJ2000 radome contains three arrays that form a triangle this arrangement makes mechanical rotation of the radome redundant or unnecessary. There are still some benefits of mechanically rotating an AESA but it does increase cost and for many the cost outweighs the benefits.

You're welcome, the Phalcon and KJ2000 radome contains three arrays that form a triangle this arrangement makes mechanical rotation of the radome redundant or unnecessary. There are still some benefits of mechanically rotating an AESA but it does increase cost and for many the cost outweighs the benefits.

What if the arrangement is like this ?

a50eaewcpresentation3.jpg

What if the arrangement is like this ?

a50eaewcpresentation3.jpg

This is similar to the E-3 design, the radar antenna on one side and the IFF antenna on the other. This will require rotation for 360 deg detection.

The swedes and maybe EADS are banking on a mechanical device known as "swashplate" ( which can be very crudely described as a plate moving in all three planes ) on which to put their TR ( transmitter reciever ) modules ( the heart of aesa )

This rotating aesa radar can scan a total angle of 200 degrees out of 360 while normal aesa ( fighter version) can only scan upto 120. I guess this is what dbc meant by advantage of rotating aesa. As to whether it will work as promised, that remains to be seen!

check following links if you want to know more.

swashplate

swedish aesa

Last edited:

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom