What's new

Indian Submarine Acquisitions (Conventional)

The Kilo's wont be on their last legs of life. They are having an MLU of sorts, and it is progressing well. The capability enhancement of the Kilo's in the MLU is absolutely amazing. The foxtrots will be retired as soon as the Scorpene's start entering service.

India bolsters submarine fleet

Issues tender for six diesel vessels

By Peter Larsen @ Monday, September 29, 2008 5:54 AM

The Indian Ministry of Defence (MoD) has announced plans to acquire 6 Scorpène diesel submarines.

A top defence source told reporters that the Navy "issued a Request for Information (RFI) to major manufacturers across the globe and will follow [up the request] with global tenders" in 2009.

The Indian military currently maintains an underwater fleet composed of 16 Russian Kilo and German Shishumar vessels. However, New Delhi has expressed interest in purchasing a total of 30 submarines over the next few years. The latest procurement will follow a previous order of six Scorpène subs currently under construction by the French DCNS at the Mazagon Dockyards Limited (MDL) in Mumbai.

It should be noted that France has asked India to consider a joint venture for the international export of advanced subs. DCNS CEO Jean-Marie Poimbeuf told the Hindu that a number of countries pereceived submarines to be "strategic defence systems".

Indeed, China is expected to have six Jin-class submarines capable of firing JL2 ballistic nuclear missiles by 2015. In addition, Beijing's nuclear attack submarine force has expanded rapidly and now boasts six T93 hunters and more than a dozen Kilo class boats. According to Jane's, the fast attack craft are capable of carrying eight anti-ship missiles -- granting the Sino navy a "considerable capability".

India has also taken several signifcant steps to bolster its naval capabilites, including the acquistion of a Russian aicraft carrier and a 16,900-tonne Jalashwa transport ship. The 173-metre-long Landing Pontoon Dock (LPD), currrently the second largest Indian warship in service, is capable of transporting four landing craft, six helicopters and a battalion of 900 soldiers.

In addition, the Indian MoD has issued a tender for at least 16 advanced naval helicopters. Defence Ministry sources note the multi-role helicopters will be equipped with anti-ship and anti-submarine armaments, including cruise missiles and torpedoes.

India bolsters submarine fleet

Issues tender for six diesel vessels

By Peter Larsen @ Monday, September 29, 2008 5:54 AM

The Indian Ministry of Defence (MoD) has announced plans to acquire 6 Scorpène diesel submarines.

A top defence source told reporters that the Navy "issued a Request for Information (RFI) to major manufacturers across the globe and will follow [up the request] with global tenders" in 2009.

The Indian military currently maintains an underwater fleet composed of 16 Russian Kilo and German Shishumar vessels. However, New Delhi has expressed interest in purchasing a total of 30 submarines over the next few years. The latest procurement will follow a previous order of six Scorpène subs currently under construction by the French DCNS at the Mazagon Dockyards Limited (MDL) in Mumbai.

It should be noted that France has asked India to consider a joint venture for the international export of advanced subs. DCNS CEO Jean-Marie Poimbeuf told the Hindu that a number of countries pereceived submarines to be "strategic defence systems".

Indeed, China is expected to have six Jin-class submarines capable of firing JL2 ballistic nuclear missiles by 2015. In addition, Beijing's nuclear attack submarine force has expanded rapidly and now boasts six T93 hunters and more than a dozen Kilo class boats. According to Jane's, the fast attack craft are capable of carrying eight anti-ship missiles -- granting the Sino navy a "considerable capability".

India has also taken several signifcant steps to bolster its naval capabilites, including the acquistion of a Russian aicraft carrier and a 16,900-tonne Jalashwa transport ship. The 173-metre-long Landing Pontoon Dock (LPD), currrently the second largest Indian warship in service, is capable of transporting four landing craft, six helicopters and a battalion of 900 soldiers.

In addition, the Indian MoD has issued a tender for at least 16 advanced naval helicopters. Defence Ministry sources note the multi-role helicopters will be equipped with anti-ship and anti-submarine armaments, including cruise missiles and torpedoes.

Nitesh, you've been on long enough to know that the stuff in bold is pure garbage. The only thing this author gets right is the submarine being a strategic weapon.

Nitesh, you've been on long enough to know that the stuff in bold is pure garbage. The only thing this author gets right is the submarine being a strategic weapon.

Jliu, may be wrong cos it can not be verified by other sources. But you are aware that Navy wants to have 30 submarines, then how exactly that can be done. Some details are

16 existing with 4 are almost on last leg of there life (U 209's)

scorpenes (6 in nos) in process of induction. I am assuming that this will finish by 2013-2019.

Six more supposed to be ordered. Let's say the process for ordering gets completed by 2011-2012 and if everything goes correctly may be these get inducted by 2020-2022.

Apart from this may be 3-4 ATV.

So then the navy will have
12 kilos, 6 scorpenes, 6 second line of submarines. 3-4 ATV.
This makes around 20-22 submarines. then how they are going to have 8-10 more. There must be some plans as kilos will start retiring then. Plus need to add more.

So what do you think IN strategy should be.

Jliu, may be wrong cos it can not be verified by other sources. But you are aware that Navy wants to have 30 submarines, then how exactly that can be done.

I'm not the IN CNO Nitesh, I'm an RAN flag officer.

Honestly while having vast experience with subcontinental navies and being somewhat in the know about naval operations there I have no idea how the IN is going to arrive at the 30 figure. If I were the CNO then I would have domestic construction in addition to giving a vendor a contract for 6 SSK-to hell with indigenous license build but when you have a large and vocal defence industry then tradeoffs must be made and deliveries pushed back to give the buggers time. Unfortunately only the warfighter suffers but that's life.

Some details are

16 existing with 4 are almost on last leg of there life (U 209's)

The (10) 636+ will soldier on until an unspecified date as the IN brass believe they are sufficient v PN A90 boats. I personally don't think so-having been so close as to have generated a terminal firing solution on a 636 makes me question the validity of such a move as PN submariners are no pushovers-having been recipients of French TRADOC for decades.

scorpenes (6 in nos) in process of induction. I am assuming that this will finish by 2013-2019.

Six more supposed to be ordered. Let's say the process for ordering gets completed by 2011-2012 and if everything goes correctly may be these get inducted by 2020-2022.

Very optimistic-add four more years to the figure unless those subcontractors get their act together in the next fiscal year 08-09.

Apart from this may be 3-4 ATV.

A lot of talk-not much being seen or even what the ATV is using as a design baseline. Whether intentional or not its a worry. Let's hope its the former.

So then the navy will have
10 kilos, 6 scorpenes, 6 second line of submarines. 3-4 ATV.
This makes around 20-22 submarines. then how they are going to have 8-10 more. There must be some plans as kilos will start retiring then. Plus need to add more.

So what do you think IN strategy should be.

For starters we don't know whether the requirement for 30 SSK/SSN is indeed for that or SSK only. I am assuming the FFS is for a SSK/SSN mix so we can expect 22 SSK in that mix. 10+6+6 should make a lot of sense but to achieve that goal by 2012-2016 half to two-thirds of the boats built should be constructed in the vendor's yards. In my opinion the FFS mix should comprise 636, P75 and the U214 for a "lo-med-high" balance.

I'm not the IN CNO Nitesh, I'm an RAN flag officer.
oops sorry, I just meant to have your views nothing else

Very optimistic-add four more years to the figure unless those subcontractors get their act together in the next fiscal year 08-09.
yes I am being too optimistic here. Point taken yes add more delays

A lot of talk-not much being seen or even what the ATV is using as a design baseline. Whether intentional or not its a worry. Let's hope its the former.
hope this comes correct or everything will go for a tizzy.

For starters we don't know whether the requirement for 30 SSK/SSN is indeed for that or SSK only. I am assuming the FFS is for a SSK/SSN mix so we can expect 22 SSK in that mix. 10+6+6 should make a lot of sense but to achieve that goal by 2012-2016 half to two-thirds of the boats built should be constructed in the vendor's yards. In my opinion the FFS mix should comprise 636, P75 and the U214 for a "lo-med-high" balance.

As per my reading goes it is for SSK/SSN/SSBN mix how many numbers of which type don't know but according to sources the second line of subs need to have VLS tubes to provide firing solution for BrahMos. So these seems to be more ocean going subs. Seems like private shipyards can be oped in for the second line of subs but as you have mentioned that can open a can of worms regarding the IPR and lot of things. But let's see.

oops sorry, I just meant to have your views nothing else

Now you do;)

hope this comes correct or everything will go for a tizzy.

What goes on the surface is nothing like what is 'underneath'. You can bet the boys from JIB (ISI) and every other PACRIM nation with an interest are doing their utmost to scry the specs of the project and the signals I'm getting is that "not much" is concrete. Whether intentional or not it is mysterious.

As per my reading goes it is for SSK/SSN/SSBN mix how many numbers of which type don't know but according to sources the second line of subs need to have VLS tubes to provide firing solution for BrahMos. So these seems to be more ocean going subs. Seems like private shipyards can be oped in for the second line of subs but as you have mentioned that can open a can of worms regarding the IPR and lot of things. But let's see.

VLS for Brahmos? I wrote something a while ago on that. A submarine in addition to being a strategic asset is as much a psychological weapon as anything else. A VLS system on an SSK is useful but tactically it reduces the ordnance that can be carried, reduces survivibility and also reduces what I call the "terror profile". Humans generally fear what they cannot see and a torpedo fits the above most. I would choose a torpedo over an AShM if I ever had to decide between one and the other on a "hunt" for the very reason a torp can be steered and makes a bigger "bang" esp as the Euro designs out there are on par with our Mk48s.

Well if the VLS tubes are confirmed (a rarity these days) then my money would be on the Amur/Lada/Kilo+. However if not, then all of it is for the U214 which in my view is an "overmatch" option as the 212 is unavailable.

Prasun K Sengupta: Indian Navy hunts for next line of diesel-electric submarines

To arrest the growing obsolescence of its undersea warfare capabilities, the Indian Navy (IN) recently issued Requests for Proposals (RFP) for six newgeneration ocean-going diesel-electric submarines (SSK) to add to the six Scorpene SSKs being built at state-owned Mazagon Docks Ltd (MDL) under a mammoth Rs 187.98 billion project. Global tenders for the six new SSKs will be floated by early next year, with the principal bidders expected to be Armaris of France, and Fincantieri of Italy teamed up with Russia’s Rubin Central Design Bureau for Marine Engineering. The German Submarine Consortium is not expected to take part in the bidding process as its Class 214 SSK was selected late last year for replacing the Pakistan Navy’s existing Agosta 70B SSKs. It is almost a foregone conclusion that Armaris’ SMX-21 SSK, incorporating the MESMA AIP module, will be offered, while Fincantieri will offer the S-800 (see photo), a stretched variant of its S-1000 SSK.

The SMX-21 (see photo) is designed for a wide range of missions, including deep-strike operations, attacks on naval forces and special operations. The combination can carry a range of modular mission packs, each comprising various weapons, sensors, special operations devices, mines, unmanned underwater vehicles (UUV), etc for a variety of missions. The SMX-21’s ‘three-in-one’ operational combination comprises a command submarine, which also provides at-sea support for three smaller submarines, and two smaller UUVs. The command and smaller submarines and UUVs can be docked to form a combination submarine operating as a single vessel. Alternatively, all three can be operated independently. A DCN/THALES-designed Migal Aliran Informasi Pertahanan interface module will expand the SMX-21’s combat capabilities by expediting the readying, target sequencing, launching and control of up to four wire-guided torpedoes at a time. Migal modules can also simulate up to four wireguided torpedoes at a time for training exercises. They can also be used to monitor in-tube torpedoes and manage self-testing and maintenance. The Malaysian and Indian navies have already selected the Migal module for theirrespective Scorpene SSKs.

The Royal Thai Navy, on the other hand, is seriously looking at Russia’s Amur 950 and Armaris’ SMX-23 Andrasta dieselelectric submarines, both of which displace less than 1,000 tonnes while submerged. As regards the S-800, one may recall that Russia and Italy had jointly presented on October 25, 2006 a mock-up model of a new-generation SSK at the Euronaval international exhibition in France. The S-1000, a 1,000-tonne SSK, which is derived from the Amur 950 SSK’s design, and is designed for anti-submarine and anti-ship warfare, reconnaissance missions, and transportation of up to 12 troops. It is 56.2 metres long, has a top speed while submerged of 14 knots and is equipped with a new fuel cellpowered Air Independent Propulsion (AIP) system developed by Fincantieri.

The S-1000’s principal competitor in the global export market is the SMX-23 Andrasta from France’s ARMARIS. It is 49 metres long, displaces 860 tonnes, has a maximum submerged speed of 15 Knots, can dive to depths of 200 metres, has a range 1,850 miles while cruising at 8 Knots, has an at-sea endurance of 15 days, can remain underwater for 60 hours maximum by using its batteries, and has a crew complement of 19 sailors and officers. Designed primarily for export, the S- 1000 and its larger S-800 dervative will both feature an impressive array of weaponry, including Whitehead Alenia Sistemi Subaqueibuilt wire-guided Black Shark torpedoes, 220-km range 3M54E1 Club-S supersonic anti-ship cruise missiles and the 290km-range 3M14E subsonic land-attack cruise missile, and the BrahMos vertically launched multi-role supersonic cruise missile (eight of which will be on board each S-800, contained inside an eight cell universal vertical launcher for missiles, or UVLM, fabricated by Larsen & Toubro Ltd).

Both SSKs, when equipped with AIP-based propulsion systems, will be capable of staying underwater for 10 days. The project to jointly develop these two SSKs was launched in April 2004. Due to the combined Italian-Russian offer of the S-800, Rosoboronexport State Corp will henceforth withdraw its earlier offer to the IN for its 1,600-tonne Amur 1650 SSK, which also recently lost out to the Class 209/Type 1200 SSK in a competition involving the supply of six newbuild SSKs by South Korea to the Indonesian Amur 1650.

If the S-800 is selected for procurement, then it will most likely be licence-built by Larsen & Toubro (L & T). It may be recalled that since the 1990s, L & T has forged risk-sharing industrial partnerships with several Italian shipbuilders and naval sub-systems suppliers, such as Riva Calzoni. The bulk of such industrial tie-ups pertained to the company’s involvement in the construction of the nuclear-powered Advanced Technology Vehicle (ATV) for India’s defence R & D Organisation (DRDO). L & T has also, along with Italy’s Cosmos (based in Livorno), fabricated for the DRDO a 200-tonne mini-submarine that will be used as a technology demonstrator in lieu of procuring six such SSKs for conducting covert special operations.

Meanwhile, several new design/performance data pertaining to the IN’s six Scorpenes have now emerged. Each Scorpene SSK displace 1,570 tonnes surfaced and 1,960 dived, and features a circular outer hull built of HLES-90 highstrength steel, with this outer hull also being the pressure hull. At the bow the cross-section of the hull will narrow to an oval shape, ensuring the minimum underwater hydrodynamic resistance. A lot of effort is being made to reduce self-generated noise, resulting in a clean, streamlined casing and noise damping of all equipment. An array of hydrophones will be fitted all round the hull to measure the radiated noise level and provide immediate identification of areas of self-generated noise. The Scorpene SSK will be armed with four bow torpedo tubes fitted with a pneumatic ram discharge system. The bow tubes allow weapon discharge, irrespective of the speed of the SSK, down to its maximum diving depth. The SSK will also incorporate a rapid reload system. Fire-control will be exercised through a single, centralised computer using the DLA-2A system, which will also feature an automatic navigational plotting system. The Scorpene SSK’s sensors include an 8kHz active search/attack sonar, passive ranging and passive towed-array sonars. Intercept sonars and a torpedo-attack warning systems will also be fitted. The Scorpene SSK’s primary propulsion system will comprise two SEMT-Pielstick 16 PA4 V 185 VG diesels developing 2.65mW driving two Jeumont Schneider 1.7mW alternators. A single watercooled 3.4mW electric motor with double armature will directly drive the propellers. There will be an intermediate clutch in order to reduce noise level to a minimum. In addition, there will be a 23kW electric motor provided for cruise speeds. The SSK’s two independent banks of batteries use an electrolyte agitation system with water circuit cooling to extend service life and improve efficiency. Crew accommodation-related power services will be provided by two generators, with the alternating current being provided by means of five converter sets with two solid-state inverters. There will also be oxygen generating units and independent CO2 absorption units. The core of the SUBTICS combat management system (CMS) will be an open and modular architecture based on standard data processors (TMS 320 C30 processors on a speed ring network), redundant databus and six multi-function common consoles equipped with two highdefinition 19-inch colour AMLCD monitors.The dual redundant Ethernet databus will offer reliable and continuous communications in the event of damage, the multi-function common consoles and allow manning and configuration flexibility, and together provide function and data operational availability. The sonar sub-system will include a set of acoustic arrays and appropriate detection (or transmission), tracking, and analysis and localisation processing modules, together with a set of common processing modules for contact motion analysis, classification, identification and track management using broadband, narrowband, demon and pulse (passive interception and ranging) processing channels. The basic set of acoustic arrays will include a cylindrical or conformal bow array, an active array, a distributed array, an intercept array, a thin-line towed-array, a flank array, and optionally an obstacle avoidance array. The contact motion analysis module will include automatic and interactive processing functions. The classification and identification module will include audio and spectrum analysis processing functions, plus interactive hypothesis generation and verification functions. The track management module include interactive association and fusion processing functions, plus sorting of best representative acoustic track function. The basic components of the command and weapon control sub-system will include a set of situation elaboration modules, a set of command and decision modules, and a set of engagement and launching modules. The set of situation elaboration modules will include acoustic and non-acoustic sensors track association and fusion functions, interactive target motion analysis functions, and track management functions able to sort out tracks of particular tactical interest among a set of 100 recorded tracks. The set of command and decision modules will include threat evaluation of localised and classified tracks, plus attack and escape manoeuvre planning tools. The SSK will be fitted with Thales’ TIT tactical information processor, DSM submarine detection system, LAS air-surface warfare and navigation system using the SAGEM Défense Sécurité of France’s SIGMA-40XP strapdown ring laser gyro inertial navigation system, DLA launch control system, TSM-22/23 forward panoramic sonar, DR-3000 ESM system, SAGEM’s MICIN Mod 3 inertial navigation control unit and SS Mk1 steering control station, Safare-Crouzet’s Velox DUUG-7A/Velox-M7 sonar interceptor, Sopelem-Sofretec’s Type J and ST-5 periscopes, Kelvin-Hughes navigation radar, and CEAC’s electrical energy storage batteries. The principal WAAS’s C-303 expendable torpedo decoys L & T’s submarine masts SMX-21 SSK 88 armament suite will comprise the MBDA-built Exocet SM-40 Block 3 submarine-launched anti-ship missile, and up to 16 Whitehead 533mm torpedoes.

Meanwhile, as part of the second mid-life refit of its existing four Class 209/Type 1500 SSKs, the IN has installed on the first two vessels ATLAS Elektronik’s ISUS-90 combat management system, CSU-90 cylindrical active/passive bow-mounted sonar, passive planar flank arrays and intercept arrays (for providing warning against approaching torpedoes), passive ranging array, a three-dimensional mine and obstacle avoidance sonar, and a thin-line towed-array winch system; along with Alenia Sistemi Subacquei’s C-303 submarine-fired torpedo decoy dispensers and a self-noise monitoring system. A similar refit on the remaining two Class 209/Type 1500 boats is now underway.

The IN’s six Scorpenes too will have on board the C-303 decoy systems. The hunt is now on for reelable thin-line towed-array sonars to be installed on board the six Scorpene SSKs (thus optimising them for littoral warfare in shallow waters) for which systems from THALES Underwater Systems, ATLAS Elektronik and L-3 Communications/Ocean Systems are being looked at.

LiveFist: Prasun K Sengupta: Indian Navy hunts for next line of diesel-electric submarines
Hey.....Nitesh
check this out: Prasoon K sengupta blogTRISHUL: Enter The SMX-22 SSK
It says SMX 22 is now being offered to India.........

India hunting for 6 next-gen submarines- Indicators-Economy-News-The Economic Times

India hunting for 6 next-gen submarines
15 Oct, 2008, 1122 hrs IST,Rajat Pandit, TNN

NEW DELHI: With the gigantic Rs 18,798-crore project to construct six French Scorpene killer submarines at Mazagon Docks in Mumbai finally gaining momentum, India’s hunt for six new-generation submarines in a mammoth project worth well over Rs 30,000 crore is now well underway.

Interestingly, the Navy has clearly specified that under this second line of diesel-electric submarines, called Project-75 A, all the six vessels will be equipped with air-independent propulsion (AIP) systems to significantly boost their operational capabilities.

“They will also have high degree of stealth, land-attack capability and ability to incorporate futuristic technologies. Like the Scorpenes, they will be built in an Indian shipyard, public or private, with special emphasis on full transfer of technology,’’ said a source in the defence ministry.

“After we issued RFIs (request for information) to Russian (Rosoboronexport), French (Armaris) and German (HDW) firms, among others, two rounds of discussions have already taken place. Another round will be held this month before we issue the RFP (request for proposal) or global tender in late-2008 or early-2009,’’ he added.

Conventional diesel-electric submarines have to surface or snorkel every few days to get oxygen to recharge their batteries. If equipped with AIP systems, they can stay submerged for much longer periods, narrowing the gap with nuclear-powered submarines which can operate silently underwater for virtually unlimited periods.

Pakistan, incidentally, commissioned its first Mesma AIP-equipped submarine PNS Hamza last month, the third of the French Agosta-90 B submarines it has inducted since 1999.

Navy hunts for hi-tech submarines-India-The Times of India

Navy hunts for hi-tech submarines
20 Oct 2008, 0110 hrs IST, Rajat Pandit, TNN

NEW DELHI: With the gigantic Rs 18,798-crore project to construct six French Scorpene killer submarines at Mazagon Docks in Mumbai finally gaining momentum, India's hunt for six new-generation submarines in a mammoth project worth well over Rs 30,000 crore is now well under way.

Interestingly, the Navy has clearly specified that under this second line of diesel-electric submarines, called Project-75A, all the six vessels will be equipped with air-independent propulsion (AIP) systems to significantly boost their operational capabilities.

"They will also have high degree of stealth, land-attack capability and ability to incoporate futuristic technologies. Like the Scorpenes, they will be built in an Indian shipyard, public or private, with special emphasis on full transfer of technology," said a source.

"After we issued RFIs (request for information) to Russian (Rosoboronexport), French (Armaris) and German (HDW) firms, among others, two rounds of discussions have already taken place. Another round will be held soon before we issue the RFP (request for proposal) or global tender in late-2008 or early-2009," he added.

Conventional diesel-electric submarines have to surface or snorkel every few days to get oxygen to recharge their batteries. If equipped with AIP systems, they can stay submerged for much longer periods, narrowing the gap with nuclear-powered submarines which can operate silently underwater for virtually unlimited periods.

Pakistan, incidentally, commissioned its first Mesma AIP-equipped submarine PNS Hamza last month, the third of the French Agosta-90B submarines it has inducted since 1999. China, of course, is leagues ahead. To China's 57 attack submarines, a dozen of them nuclear ones, India has only 16 diesel-electric submarines — 10 Russian Kilo-class, four German HDW and two virtually-obsolete Foxtrot submarines.

Unlike China, which is now also getting ready to induct the new Shang-class (Type-093) nuclear-powered attack submarines, the Indian Navy neither has nuclear submarines, nor SLBM (submarine-launched ballistic missile) capabilities at present, leaving a big hole in India's quest for "a nuclear weapon triad".

Indian Navy Project-75A: RFIs Issued for Six Advanced Submarines; Rosoboronexport, Armaris, HDW in the Fray
Dated 19/10/2008

With the Rs 18,798-crore project to construct six French Scorpene killer submarines at Mazagon Docks in Mumbai finally gaining momentum, Indian Navy is now on the look out for six next-generation submarines in a project worth over Rs 30,000 crore.

The Navy has clearly specified that under this second line of diesel-electric submarines, called Project-75A, all the six vessels will be equipped with air-independent propulsion (AIP) systems to significantly boost their operational capabilities.

"They will also have high degree of stealth, land-attack capability and ability to incoporate futuristic technologies. Like the Scorpenes, they will be built in an Indian shipyard, public or private, with special emphasis on full transfer of technology," said a source.

"After we issued RFIs (request for information) to Russian (Rosoboronexport), French (Armaris) and German (HDW) firms, among others, two rounds of discussions have already taken place. Another round will be held soon before we issue the RFP (request for proposal) or global tender in late-2008 or early-2009," he added.

Pakistan, incidentally, commissioned its first Mesma AIP-equipped submarine PNS Hamza last month, the third of the French Agosta-90B submarines it has inducted since 1999. China, of course, is leagues ahead. To China's 57 attack submarines, a dozen of them nuclear ones, India has only 16 diesel-electric submarines — 10 Russian Kilo-class, four German HDW and two virtually-obsolete Foxtrot submarines.

Unlike China, which is now also getting ready to induct the new Shang-class (Type-093) nuclear-powered attack submarines, the Indian Navy neither has nuclear submarines, nor SLBM (submarine-launched ballistic missile) capabilities at present, leaving a big hole in India's quest for "a nuclear weapon triad".

Indian Navy Project-75A: RFIs Issued for Six Advanced Submarines; Rosoboronexport, Armaris, HDW in the Fray | India Defence

India`s under-water fighting capabilities hit: CAG
New Delhi, Oct 24: As India plans to strengthen its submarine fleet by inducting six more diesel-powered vessels, a Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) report has come down heavily on the government for its failure to keep up with warship construction and induction plans to augment under-water fighting capabilities.

In its report tabled in Lok Sabha today, the CAG said submarines were a crucial element for the Indian Navy, which aspires to have 'blue water' capabilities.

Incidentally, 'blue water' is described as a maritime force capable of operating across the deep waters of open oceans, which the Indian Navy desperately wants to be, with India's economic and national interest expanding globally since the economy was opened up in early 1990s.

"The Defence Ministry could not adhere to its submarine construction and induction plan, which may impact operational preparedness of Indian Navy," the CAG said in its performance audit report for 2008.

"The Indian Navy currently hold just 67 per cent of the force level envisaged in its 1985 plan," it noted.

At present, the submarine fleet strength of the Navy includes 12 Kilo-class and four HDW. Currently, six Scorpene submarines are under construction at the Mazgaon Docks in Mumbai and the Navy has floated fresh Request for Information to acquire six more diesel-powered submarines.

The report said with serious slippages in the induction plan, the Navy was left with an aging fleet with more than 50 per cent of submarines having completed 75 per cent of their operational life.

"Some of the submarines have already outlived their maximum service life," it added.

I always thought this was the case - only now has it come to light.

For IN 2012 cannot come soon enough as Viraat is ageing well beyond it's scrapping date . I hope , HOPE that by 2012 we can have 2 very capable aircraft carriers and the 6 subs we sent out RFI's for recently , until then..
God bless us

It has not came out now, it is a problem from the time when HDW got blacklisted because of accusations of kickbacks. Already scorpenes are under construction. They will start joining from 2012. ATV is set to roll out on 26th january. After successful trials more will be inducted. Nerpa (INS chakra) about to get inducted on 15th august. Viraat is under repairs to get a life extension for 5 years. Vikramaditya well seems it will join on timeline 2012-2013. IAC I don't think it will join before 2014.

I always thought this was the case - only now has it come to light.

For IN 2012 cannot come soon enough as Viraat is ageing well beyond it's scrapping date . I hope , HOPE that by 2012 we can have 2 very capable aircraft carriers and the 6 subs we sent out RFI's for recently , until then..
God bless us

By 2012, IN will have only 1 Carrier-Vikramaditya. By 2020, IN will have 2 capable Carriers and the supply side problem would be fixed. Massive Shipyards are being constructed in India by the private players, the govt ones are undergoing massive expansion and modernization.

Back
Top Bottom