What's new

Indian Space Capabilities

Dr. V Adimurthy, Associate Director of Vikram Sarabhai Space Center gave a presentation on India’s future Human Space Flight Programs at the International Astronautical Congress in Daejeon, Korea on 15 October this year.

Here are a few of his presentation slides and a complete video of all the presentations. Notice that apart from the publicly announced missions like manned space mission, mars mission and lunar mission, ISRO is also considering missions to Venus and some asteroids like Toutatis, Apollo, Eros, Itokawa and Vesta!

Enjoy!
2377c1c93266427552d6e25122353700.gif

b918fc60893f6870f1ab616403d5e996.jpg

f71e3e920d6d21bbac157002269e9106.jpg

26f63aa04ae0ec8c69a14c065d6decdb.jpg

b3a6f866bd3fd6b5c5a9b6a3b579adcf.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
India to test world's third largest solid rocket booster :cheers:

The Indian space agency is expected to take a major step in January towards realising its next generation rocket by ground-firing the world's third largest - in terms of fuel mass and length - solid rocket booster developed in-house.

An Indian Space Reasearch Organisation (ISRO) official said: "The large solid propellant booster project was taken up nearly a decade ago and will achieve its first milestone next month." :yahoo:

Recently, ISRO Chairman K. Radhakrishnan said the static testing of the booster will happen soon.

The 200-tonne solid propellant rocket booster - designed to power ISRO's next generation (geosynchronous launch vehicle) GSLV Mark III - will be ground tested at India's space port Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikota, 80 km from here.

The stage is expected to burn for 103 seconds. :cheers:

In terms of fuel mass and length GSLV Mark III's 200 tonne, 25 metre long solid boosters will rank after US Space Shuttle's booster (fuel mass of 440 tonne, 37.8 metre) and Europe's Ariane (fuel mass 240 tonne, length 31.6 metre).:victory:

Measured in terms of diametre ISRO's new solid booster will rank second in the world with 3.2 metre while that of Space Shuttle and Ariane measure were 3.6 metre and 3.05 metre respectively. :partay:

As to fuel burn time the ranking will be in the order of Ariane (130 seconds), Space Shuttle (123 seconds) and GSLV Mark III (103 seconds). :victory:

However, the US is developing much larger first stage solid rocket motor for its new rocket Ares1. The diametre is 3.77 metre, length 52 metre with a propellant capacity of 625 tonne with a burn time of 123 seconds.

While the US recovers Space Shuttle booster steel casings for re-use, ISRO has no such plans as it requires parachutes for soft landing on the Indian seas and the issues relating to reuse.

"The steel casing has to be cleaned of salt deposits and refurbished for re-0use," the ISRO official told IANS on condition of anonymity as he is not authorised to speak to the media.

The 42.4-metre-tall GSLV Mark III rocket with a lift off weight of 630 tonne is being designed to reach towards the heavens sometime in 2011 carrying communication satellites weighing upto five tonne thereby making India self sufficient in respect of launch vehicles.

The first stage of the three fuel stage rocket will be two identical solid boosters strapped onto the second stage, the L110 re-startable liquid stage.

The third stage is the cryogenic stage powered by liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen.

The large payload fairing measures 5 metre in diameter and can accommodate a payload volume of 100 cubic metre.

ISRO's existing rockets - the three stage GSLV and four stage Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV)- has a lower carrying capacity.

The present GSLV can carry a luggage of 2.5 tonne to be ejected in geo-transfer orbit (GTO) while PSLV can sling 1.6 tonne and 1.1 tonne satellites into polar orbit and GTO respectively.

Interestingly, January 2010 will be a landmark month in ISRO's calendar for one more reason.

The space agency will be flying its GSLV powered by its own cryogenic engine.

Solid propellant boosters of different rockets

Parameter Space Shuttle Ariane 5 GSLV MK III

USA Europe India

1. Diameter (metre) 3.6 3.05 3.2

2. Length (metre) 37.8 31.6 25

3. Number of Segments 4 3 3

4. Propellant Type Ap+Al+ HTPB Ap+Al+ HTPB Ap+Al+HTPB

5. Total Mass (tonne) 500 276 220

6. Propellant Mass (tonne) 440 240 200

7. Average Thrust(tons) 1,040 500 400

8. Nozzzle gimballing 8 degree 6 degree 8 degree

9. Firing duration (seconds) 123 130 103

10. Motor case Material Steel Steel Steel

The Hindu : Sci-Tech : India to test world's third largest solid rocket booster

:smitten:

Launching soon: A film on Chandrayaan, starring APJ Kalam

Mumbai: Former president APJ Adbul Kalam is debuting as an actor, though he will play himself in a half-hour documentary on India's successful Chandrayaan-1 launch on October 22 last year. UTV is making the documentary for the ministry of external affairs.

The movie showcases how the mission made the country a coveted member of the international space club. "It was a first in many ways, when an indigenous spacecraft was launched beyond the earth's orbit. The Chandrayaan documentary by UTV celebrates this successful venture," a statement from the film-makers read.

Rahul Bhatia of UTV Television, said, "It is an honour to be associated with this mission the world is proud of." The film will also show the downside, when India had to abort the mission in August 2009 and the success story -- indicating presence of water on the moon. The film was shot extensively at Isro establishments. Kalam apart, it also features G Madhvan Nair and G Kasturirangan, former ISRO chairmen. Italso talks of Chandrayaan's next phase.

Launching soon: A film on Chandrayaan, starring APJ Kalam - dnaindia.com

dude photoshop

seriously.

I know we had humble beginnings but wtf

Thats just taking it a bit to far.

Yes that must be a fake one. More over APPLE was launched from Kourou.

That image is genuine guys! In fact it is posted on ISRO's official website. Take a look-

Welcome To Indian Space Research Organisation - Other Images - Image Gallery -

ISRO had very very humble beginnings. Bullock carts and horse carts were used not only to transport equipment but also to perform vibration analysis on them.

There is nothing shameful about it. In fact it makes me really proud as an Indian to see how far ISRO has come since then.

That image is genuine guys! In fact it is posted on ISRO's official website. Take a look-

ISRO had very very humble beginnings. Bullock carts and horse carts were used not only to transport equipment but also to perform vibration analysis on them.

There is nothing shameful about it. In fact it makes me really proud as an Indian to see how far ISRO has come since then.

The best photo was the rocket being carried in the cycle..looking at that I feel so proud that from a humble beginning we reached to the moon now :)

But why skull.

How can they make a satellite, and then decide not to use a Motorized vehicle.

Only in India it was that a A bull lugged a satellite to a rocket.

But honestly, How the hell did they Make the Rocket and then forget the truck.

But i must say symbolically, its a Perfect metaphor for India.

We can make the rocket.
We can make the Satellite

But we are the only ones to use a Bullock cart for the In between.

But why skull.

How can they make a satellite, and then decide not to use a Motorized vehicle.

Only in India it was that a A bull lugged a satellite to a rocket.

But honestly, How the hell did they Make the Rocket and then forget the truck.

But i must say symbolically, its a Perfect metaphor for India.

We can make the rocket.
We can make the Satellite

But we are the only ones to use a Bullock cart for the In between.

:lol:

Yes that s a good question to ask and I was wondering why no one asked me that yet!

They definitely had other means of transportation and didn’t have to use bullock carts. In fact ISRO had padded up an air-conditioned transport truck for the purpose of transportation of the APPLE. But, soon they realized that the metal in the truck was throwing off reflections which were affecting the satellite's antenna. Also, the static charges within the truck too were a problem. Then somebody in the group hit on the idea of a bullock cart, which is made of wood and they say it worked perfectly. Also, notice that they modified the cart and attached rubber wheels to suppress vibrations – generally a bullock cart has wooden wheels.

Truly ingenious! Isn’t it? That s what we call the great Indian ‘Jugaad’!

ps: I hear that Indian profs are teaching concepts of 'Jugaad' to B-School students in the US :lol:

India's Next Global Export: Jugaad

:lol:

Yes that s a good question to ask and I was wondering why no one asked me that yet!

They definitely had other means of transportation and didn’t have to use bullock carts. In fact ISRO had padded up an air-conditioned transport truck for the purpose of transportation of the APPLE. But, soon they realized that the metal in the truck was throwing off reflections which were affecting the satellite's antenna. Also, the static charges within the truck too were a problem. Then somebody in the group hit on the idea of a bullock cart, which is made of wood and they say it worked perfectly. Also, notice that they modified the cart and attached rubber wheels to suppress vibrations – generally a bullock cart has wooden wheels.

Truly ingenious! Isn’t it? That s what we call the great Indian ‘Jugaad’!

ps: I hear that Indian profs are teaching concepts of 'Jugaad' to B-School students in the US :lol:

India's Next Global Export: Jugaad

Its a pity, we didn't have a Film or document these launches.

Because i would really like to know how that Conversation went down.

I mean how does Some one even get the Idea of Putting a Multi Million dollar piece of equipment(fragile) on the back of cart pulled by an Animal. and then suggest that to his colleagues, who have slaved away for months to build the machine, With out having them think your completely insane.

You see many things that make you go wtf. But knowing the fact that A bull, played a crucial Mission critical role in the deployment of a communication satellite. Is pretty high up on the list of things that make you go wtf.

We are laughing about this now.

But just imagine what was going through the Mind's of everyone at ISRO when it was decided to do this.

They probably thought, It was all going to go horribly wrong. at some point.

A plenty of things will get a wtf by people( foreigners and indians ) specially working abroad and see indians work their way. Most of which are countries where people are born with a silver spoon in their mouth. But things are not same back home.

But it hardly maters why should we give a damn about what westerners or NRIs (no less than foreigners when abroad) think of how things go in india. Hardly maters how hard they laugh.

Indian way of doing things comes from traditional way of observing things, extensive use nature and its products in the form of simple machines which suites the indian environment.

Other way of seeing what went in their minds would be as confidence on things which actualy work since centuries i.e bullock cart.

Last edited:
A plenty of things will get a wtf by people( foreigners and indians ) specially working abroad and see indians work their way. Most of which are countries where people are born with a silver spoon in their mouth. But things are not same back home.

But it hardly maters why should we give a damn about what westerners or NRIs (no less than foreigners when abroad) think of how things go in india. Hardly maters how hard they laugh.

Indian way of doing things comes from traditional way of observing things, extensive use nature and its products in the form of simple machines which suites the indian environment.

Other way of seeing what went in their minds would be as confidence on things which actualy work since centuries i.e bullock cart.

Dude regardless of where your from. and what you may think about me.

Do you not see the symbolic humor of using a A bullock cart to transport a multi-Million dollar satellite. To a Multi-million dollar rocket.

I mean sure you are right, they got it to work.
But i just wanted to see, a documentary on this specific launch so i can see how they even got such a orthodox idea.

You really didnt need to give me
"India we have our way speech"
and then brand me an NRI. :lol:

You and seem to have a different understanding of wtf moments.
to me it's something that make you go "eh, what now ?"

You seem to see it as something negative.

GEEZ DUDE SERIOUSLY chill out, i was just commenting on what is probably one of the most humerus foot notes in ISRO's history.

Back
Top Bottom