What's new

Indian Space Capabilities

Bengaluru, September 18, 2018 22:03 IST
Updated: September 18, 2018 22:03 IST
https://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/s...innovations/article24979734.ece?homepage=true
The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) launched a space technology incubation centre in capital on Tuesday. It is the first of six such centres planned nationally to build capacity in new locations.

More such space research activities will be splashed in a big way across small cities to tap their talent and include them in the space footprint, ISRO Chairman K. Sivan, said.

The incubation centre will be located in the National Institute of Technology. Inaugurating it from Bengaluru, Chief Minister Deb said it was time high technology programmes reached the remote northeast India.

The space agency’s new Capacity Building Programme directorate will invest ₹2 crore in incubation facilities in Jalandhar, Bhubaneswar, Tiruchi, Nagpur and Indore.

“We want to go to locations that have a good presence of academia and industry but do not have activities related to space. The centres will bring out prototypes and innovations for ISRO in electronics, propulsion and others. We will buy the innovations back if we can use them in our programmes,” Dr. Sivan said.

He was speaking at the annual event of the India Electronics and Semiconductor Association (IESA), which has enlarged its ambit to space electronics this year.

Domestic industry should increase the production of critical electronics items needed in space and other programmes, as 75% of it is now imported, Dr. Sivan said.

IESA Chairman Anil Kumar Muniswamy said the Indian space market offers big opportunity to industry as it is estimated to grow to $1.6 billion by 2023.

The Indian space programme has been orchestrated well and had three distinct elements such as, satellites for communication and remote sensing, the space transportation system and application programmes. The INCOSPAR (Indian National Committee for Space Research) was initiated under the leadership of Dr. Sarabhai and Dr. Ramanathan. In 1967, the first ‘Experimental Satellite Communication Earth Station (ESCES)’ located in Ahmedabad was operationalized, which also doubled as a training centre for the Indian as well as International scientists and engineers.
14frPVK2jpg

P.V. Krishnamurthy (PVK) with his keyboard

Satellite Instructional Television Experiment (SITE), hailed as ‘the largest sociological experiment in the world, This experiment benefited around 200,000 people, covering 2400 villages of six states and transmitted development oriented programmes using the ATS-6.

Satellite launch

In May 1974, PVK was appointed Deputy Director General of Doordarshan. Prime Minister Indira Gandhi told him that he would have to leave to witness the launch of Applications Technology Satellites (ATS) , ATS 6 satellite, which was to be used by India for its Satellite Instructional Television Experiment (SITE). PVK was to produce 1,320 hours of software for SITE, in three languages, to be viewed in six States.

ATS-6 has been the first geostationary satellite with three-axis stabilization and pointing.,

Many important campaigns have been taken up using RH-200 rockets. The most important programme was MONEX (Monsoon Experiment) under which over thousand rockets were launched. Equatorial Wave Studies (EWS) by Space Physics Laboratory had 51 launches of RH-200 rockets from SDSC SHAR. Another major programme was MIDAS (Dynamics Middle Atmosphere) by SPL, which had 180 launches of this rocket from TERLS Range.

pibimage.jpg

Department of Space
20-September, 2018 18:49 IST

ISRO to set up an Integrated Control Room for Emergency Response

Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO), Department of Space signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) here today for setting up of an state-of-the-art Integrated Control Room for Emergency Response (ICR-ER) in Ministry of Home Affairs. The MoU was signed by Joint Secretary (Disaster Management) Shri Sanjeev Kumar Jindal on behalf of MHA and Dr P.V.N Rao, Deputy Director, NRSC, ISRO.

ISRO will render its technical expertise for setting up of proposed ICR-ER whereas the project will be executed under overall supervision of MHA. The proposed Control Room is expected to be established in next one-and-a-half year.

The ICR-ER will cater to the requirement of Disaster Management as well as Internal Security. ICR-ER will address the requirement of receipt of information on near real-time basis, strategic level monitoring, situation awareness, command and control, preparedness and response in the diverse internal security situation and disaster related emergencies. Resultantly, it will increase the operational effectiveness and will be helpful in rendering timely response / assistance during various emergency situations.

T2018092054266.JPG

The Joint Secretary (Disaster Management), MHA, Shri Sanjeev Kumar Jindal and the Deputy Director, NRSC, ISRO, Dr. P.V.N. Rao at the signing of an MoU between MHA and ISRO for setting up an Integrated Control Room for Emergency Response, in New Delhi on September 20, 2018.

Last edited:
https://www.thehindu.com/news/natio...aan-mission/article25010147.ece?homepage=true
NEW DELHI, September 21, 2018 22:43 IST
Updated: September 21, 2018 22:43 IST

Satish%20Dhawan%20Space%20Centre

Google Maps image locates the Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota.

In addition to the third launch pad at Sriharikota, the space agency is also scouting for a new location near Gujarat for the Small Satellite Launch Vehicles.

The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is setting up a third launch pad at Sriharikota to undertake the Gaganyaan manned space flight programme, an ISRO official said on Friday. In addition, ISRO is scouting for a location on the western sea coast near Gujarat to set up another launch pad for Small Satellite Launch Vehicles (SSLV).

Third launch pad
“We have two launch pads currently, which are already full. A third launch pad is being set up for the human space flight. It will be ready in time for the mission,” a senior ISRO official said.

In the Independence Day address this year from the Red Fort, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had announced that an Indian will go to space by 2022.

Following this, ISRO has announced an ambitious roadmap to put a three-man Indian crew in a low earth orbit for 5-7 days by the 75th Independence Day.

ISRO Chairman Dr. Sivan had stated earlier that ISRO has begun work on the manned mission in 2004, and that many of the critical technologies required for human spaceflight have already been validated through various tests — Space Capsule Recovery Experiment, Crew Module Atmospheric Re-Entry Experiment and Pad Abort Test.

ISRO will use its GSLV Mk-III launch vehicle, which can carry the heavier payload of the Gaganyaan, and this will take off from the new launch pad.

In addition to the third launch pad at Sriharikota, ISRO is also scouting for a new location near Gujarat for the SSLV.

ISRO is developing the SSLV to offer affordable launch options for smaller satellites through Antrix, the space agency’s commercial arm. ISRO currently piggybacks smaller satellites on the PSLV and GSLV along with bigger satellites.

Moonstruckcol

The SSLV is expected to reduce the launch time as well as cost less to launch small satellites, which are much in demand.

“We have evaluated several locations. The first two SSLV launches will take place from Sriharikota. After that they will move to the new location,” the official said.

ISRO is ready to transfer the entire SSLV “as a whole” to the private industry while the agency would provide the initial hand-holding. The SSLV is expected to be cleared by next year.

pibimage.jpg

24-September, 2018 13:01 IST
ISRO should take up futuristic, innovative projects for societal benefits; NRSC should come up with innovative citizen-centric applications for national flagship programmes; Addresses Scientists and Researchers at NRSC

The Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu has said that Scientists play a key role in providing data and should focus on the requirements of the common man, more importantly of the farmer, and help in formulating strategies for better Governance. He was addressing the Scientists and Researchers at the National Remote Sensing Centre (NRSC), in Hyderabad today. The Chairman, ISRO, Dr. K. Shivan and other dignitaries were present on the occasion.

The Vice President said that ISRO with its state-of-the-art facilities has been harnessing space technology for rural and urban development. He further said that ISRO maintains one of the largest fleet of communication and remote sensing satellites with the versatile workhorse, Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) becoming a favoured carrier. After making every Indian proud with the success of Chandrayaan-1 and Mars Orbiter Spacecraft, now ISRO is gearing up for the launch of Chandrayaan-2 early next year, he added.

The Vice President said that rural development is vital for the country’s growth and several national flagship programmes are being implemented in the country for the same. For effective implementation of those schemes, there is a need for optimal utilisation of satellite data for mapping and monitoring the resources and also take up impact assessment studies, he added.

Saying that India is committed to accord high priority to water conservation and its management through Watershed Development Component of Kisan Sinchaayi Yojana, the Vice President said that satellite data is being used to verify the execution of works under watershed development programme and also to assess the impact in terms of additional crop area.

While lauding ISRO for its innumerable achievements, the Vice President asked the prestigious organisation to take up futuristic, innovative projects for societal benefits.

The Vice President said that in view of the increasing demand for citizen centric services NRSC has to play an important role in providing Satellite Data and expand its technical interactions with various states for capacity building. Based on its expertise and capability, he was confident that NRSC will intensify its efforts to come up with innovative citizen-centric applications for national flagship programmes, he added.

Following is the text of Vice President's address:

"I am happy to be here today amongst the ISRO scientific community and understand firsthand the excellent work being carried out in this important centre.

I am also glad to see lot of youngsters here and appreciate them for choosing to work at ISRO. I am sure that many of you will get opportunities to work on challenging scientific projects and prove your calibre.

Since the launch of the first satellite, Aryabhata in 1975, Indian space programme has made rapid strides with India becoming a hub for the launch of Indian and foreign satellites.

With the successful launch of two satellites earlier this month, ISRO has so far launched 239 foreign satellites of 28 countries and proved to be a reliable and affordable global space agency. I am sure that in the coming years, ISRO would be a leading player in the commercial satellite launch market in the world.

Let me first congratulate all scientists for the success of the missions such as the launching of 104 satellites at a time, development of testing Crew Escape System which is a critical technology for human spaceflight GAGANYAAN and the launch of GSLV Mk-III with fully indigenous cryogenic technology.

ISRO with its state-of-the-art facilities has been harnessing space technology for rural and urban development. I am aware that ISRO maintains one of the largest fleet of communication and remote sensing satellites with the versatile workhorse, Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) becoming a favoured carrier.

Remote sensing satellites have enabled India to map, monitor and manage its natural resources. Data generated from them is being used for a variety of applications covering agriculture, water resources, urban planning, environment, forestry, ocean resources, hydrology, disaster management, biodiversity, drought monitoring, flood risk zone mapping and mineral prospecting.

After making every Indian proud with the success of Chandrayaan-1 and Mars Orbiter Spacecraft, I am glad to know that ISRO is gearing up for the launch of Chandrayaan-2 early next year.

I had visited this Centre in 2002 when I was Union Minister for Rural Development. I am happy to be here again after 16 years and share my thoughts with all of you. There have been several satellite missions every year since then.

Scientists play a key role in providing data and should focus on the requirements of the common man, more importantly of the farmer, and help in formulating strategies for better Governance.

When you look at the flagship programmes which are being implemented by various ministries, it is clear the data acquired from Earth Observation Satellites play a major role in generation of information. Frequent observations recorded by satellites are useful to know the past and current status as also the future scenario.

Dear sisters and brothers,

Rural development is vital for the country’s growth. Hence, several national flagship programmes are being implemented in the country. For effective implementation of those schemes, there is a need for optimal utilisation of satellite data for mapping and monitoring the resources and also take up impact assessment studies. I am glad that ISRO has facilitated geo-tagging of nearly 3.68 Crores of assets created under MGNREGA and uploading the details on Bhuvan geo portal.

I am told that Cartosat satellite data was extensively utilised by NRSC for monitoring the progress of 100 irrigation projects. Satellite derived information on periodic rainfall and groundwater prospects has facilitated the water resource planners for prioritisation of works. Satellite-based information should be available for supporting the management plans for rural development, particularly at village / taluk level to enable decentralised planning.

India is committed to accord high priority to water conservation and its management through Watershed Development Component of Kisan Sinchaayi Yojana. Satellite data is being used to verify the execution of works under watershed development programme and also to assess the impact in terms of additional crop area.

I am aware that the major efforts of NRSC will help the planners in relation to mapping of various cropping systems, analysing drought scenarios, preparing plans for crop intensification and locating the available proximate water resources.

I am glad that high resolution satellite data is being utilised in AMRUT scheme, which seeks to provide basic amenities and improve urban transport in 500 cities, as part of enhancing the quality of life of the people, especially the poor.

Periodic mapping, monitoring of natural resources like landscape changes, land utilisation, land degradation, wasteland database would facilitate several projects of rural development. Potential estimate of power generation in waste lands or suitable land parcels through satellite derived solar parameters is a classic case of utilisation of satellite data to harness the renewable energy.

While lauding ISRO for its innumerable achievements, I would like the prestigious organisation to take up futuristic, innovative projects for societal benefits.

It should take up the challenge to provide web-based analytics from satellite images for various users.

Inter-linking of rivers is a major effort which is under discussion for a long time and requires huge information in spatial domain from satellites. Several plans have to be drawn with the help of aerial / satellite data and I assume that ISRO has the capability to support this planning activity with help of high resolution satellite data and terrain / elevation information retrieval methodologies. I am told that a few river link studies have already benefitted from your expertise.

It is very difficult to manage disasters like Kerala floods or other such events due to the devastation caused by them. While the Disaster Management Support Programme of ISRO at NRSC is providing flood-related information to the State and Central Relief departments, I would like ISRO to come up with early flood warning and Inundation Simulation of all vulnerable river reaches and reservoirs for preparation of evacuation plans.

This may require launching of all weather satellites, experiments with unmanned aerial flights with imaging sensors to provide information to the field teams at frequent intervals during the floods. I am sure ISRO would take up this challenge.

Landslides are one of the major concerns for the country in hilly regions in eastern part of India and also in other areas. Hence, NRSC should utilise satellites to monitor landslide susceptible areas and prepare hazard zonation maps. I am sure this noble task would save many lives. We need an efficient retrieval of sufficient information for disaster risk reduction.

Though NRSC data is extensively utilized in forest management, there is a need to provide location specific information in near real time with greater accuracy.

Institutions like NRSC should also focus on ocean atmosphere studies in view of global warming and climate change. There is a need to look into climate patterns and atmospheric interaction processes for more reliable prediction of cyclones, their genesis, prediction of track, land fall and genesis of Tsunami, among others. As these processes are global in nature, we need to think of global collaborations and the utilisation of Indian and global satellites

In view of the increasing demand for citizen centric services NRSC has to play an important role in providing Satellite Data and expand its technical interactions with various states for capacity building.

Based on its expertise and capability, I am confident that NRSC will intensify its efforts to come up with innovative citizen-centric applications for national flagship programmes.

I am told that ISRO’s future plans include development of heavy lift launchers, human spaceflight projects, reusable launch vehicles, semi-cryogenic engines, development and use of composite materials for space applications. It is also aiming to conduct 12 launches per year.

My best wishes to ISRO Chairman and his team for their future endeavours.

I wish you all a grand success for your targeted 12 launches per year.

Thank you all."

T2018092454417.JPG

The Vice President, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu at an event to address the Scientists and Researchers at the National Remote Sensing Centre, in Hyderabad on September 24, 2018. The Chairman, ISRO, Dr. K. Shivan is also seen.
T2018092454418.JPG

The Vice President, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu addressing the Scientists and Researchers at the National Remote Sensing Centre, in Hyderabad on September 24, 2018. The Chairman, ISRO, Dr. K. Shivan is also seen.
T2018092454419.JPG

The Vice President, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu addressing the Scientists and Researchers at the National Remote Sensing Centre, in Hyderabad on September 24, 2018.
T2018092454420.JPG

The Vice President, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu addressing the Scientists and Researchers at the National Remote Sensing Centre, in Hyderabad on September 24, 2018.
T2018092454421.JPG

The Vice President, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu interacting with the Scientists at the Antarctica Ground Station for Earth Observation Satellites, at Bharati Station, Larsemann Hills, Antarctica, for receiving Indian Remote sensing Satellite data from the National Remote Sensing Centre, in Hyderabad on September 24, 2018.

T2018092454422.JPG

The Vice President, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu with the Scientists and Researchers at the National Remote Sensing Centre, in Hyderabad on September 24, 2018. The Chairman, ISRO, Dr. K. Shivan is also seen.

Last edited:
https://www.hindustantimes.com/indi...md-madhavan/story-nVgj3VlO7ggjVVvSso5SPI.html

HAL produced 40 aircraft and helicopters covering Su-30 MKI, LCA Tejas & Dornier Do-228 in fixed wing and ALH Dhruv and Cheetal Helicopters in rotary wing, Madhavan noted.

In addition, HAL produced 105 new engines, overhauled 220 aircraft, helicopters and 550 engines, he said.

Also, as many as 146 new aero-structures for space programs were produced during the period, he added.

First Published: Sep 29, 2018 13:59 IST

_799f5092-c88d-11e8-bbf7-ccd0803112e5.jpg

A two-seater Indian Air Force (IAF) plane crashed in a sugarcane field in Uttar Pradesh’s Bagpat district on Friday, police said. “The crash occurred at Ranchad village at around 9 am. Both pilots are safe. A team of IAF has arrived at the spot to investigate the crash and both pilots are being questioned about the incident,” said police public relations officer Anurag Sharma. (ANI)

T2018101155942.JPG

The Minister of State for Development of North Eastern Region (I/C), Prime Minister’s Office, Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr. Jitendra Singh lighting the lamp to inaugurate the National Workshop on “Imagining the Future of Space Science and its Strategic Importance”, in Jammu on October 11, 2018. The Vice Chancellor, Central University of Jammu, Prof. Ashok Aima and the former ISRO Chairman Dr. K. Radhakrishnan are also seen.

T2018101155943.JPG

The Minister of State for Development of North Eastern Region (I/C), Prime Minister’s Office, Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr. Jitendra Singh at inauguration of the National Workshop on “Imagining the Future of Space Science and its Strategic Importance”, in Jammu on October 11, 2018. The Secretary, Department of Space and Chairman, ISRO, Dr. K. Sivan, the Vice Chancellor, Central University of Jammu, Prof. Ashok Aima and the former ISRO Chairman, Dr. K. Radhakrishnan are also seen.

T2018101155945.JPG

The Minister of State for Development of North Eastern Region (I/C), Prime Minister’s Office, Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr. Jitendra Singh, the Vice Chancellor, Central University of Jammu, Prof. Ashok Aima and the former ISRO Chairman, Dr. K. Radhakrishnan at the signing of an MoU between ISRO and CUJ, in Jammu on October 11, 2018.

T2018101155948.JPG

The Minister of State for Development of North Eastern Region (I/C), Prime Minister’s Office, Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr. Jitendra Singh, the Director, Central Scientific Instruments Organization (CSIR-CSIO), Prof. R.K. Sinha, the Vice Chancellor, Central University of Jammu, Prof. Ashok Aima and the former ISRO Chairman, Dr. K. Radhakrishnan at the signing of an MoU between CSIO and CUJ, in Jammu on October 11, 2018. The Secretary, Department of Space and Chairman, ISRO, Dr. K. Sivan is also seen.

T2018101155949.JPG

The Minister of State for Development of North Eastern Region (I/C), Prime Minister’s Office, Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr. Jitendra Singh addressing the National Workshop on “Imagining the Future of Space Science and its Strategic Importance”, in Jammu on October 11, 2018. The Secretary, Department of Space and Chairman, ISRO, Dr. K. Sivan, the Vice Chancellor, Central University of Jammu, Prof. Ashok Aima and the former ISRO Chairman, Dr. K. Radhakrishnan are also seen.

Oct 12, 2018
ISRO successfully tests Cryogenic Engine (CE-20) for GSLV Mk-III / Chandrayaan-2 Mission

The upper stage of GSLV MK-III vehicle is powered by Cryogenic Engine (CE)-20 which develops a nominal thrust of 186.36 kN with a specific impulse of 442 seconds in vacuum. The engine operates on gas generator cycle using LOX / LH2 propellants combination. The major subsystems of the engine are thrust chamber, gas generator, LOX and LH2 turbo pumps, igniters, thrust & mixture ratio control systems, Start-up system, control components and pyro valves. The fifth hardware of CE-20 integrated engine designated as E6 is earmarked for GSLV Mk-III M1-Chandrayaan 2 mission.

The flight acceptance hot test of E6 engine was successfully tested for 25 seconds at High Altitude Test facility, ISRO Propulsion Complex (IPRC), Mahendragiri on October 11, 2018. The test demonstrated steady state operation of engine. The performance of all engine subsystems were observed to be normal during the hot test.

cryogenic_gslv_mkiii.jpg

https://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/s...rs-to-venus/article25465971.ece?homepage=true

Seeks experiment ideas from space agencies, universities and researchers

An 18-month-old pitch for what could be the first Indian orbiter mission to Venus has just been refreshed and relaunched, opening it up now for international experiments.

Tentatively marking the yet to be named ‘Mission Venus’ for mid-2023, the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) plans to study the planet from an elliptical orbit that is closest to Venus at 500 km and 60,000 km at the farthest end — similar to its Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM) of 2013.

The latest announcement opportunity (AO) does not specify the weight of the spacecraft; it plans to send up instruments or payloads totally weighing 100 kg. (MOM’s payloads weighed nearly 15 kg.)

The new round invites space-based experiment ideas on Venus from space agencies, universities and researchers.

They should complement a dozen Indian experiments that have been shortlisted from among responses that came in for the AO of April 2017. It had then planned a total payload of 175 kg. The responses were said to be fewer and below expectations.

3rd interplanetary dash
Currently being handled by the Space Science Programme Office, the entire project must be vetted by the Advisory Committee on Space Sciences and approved by the Space Commission and eventually the government.

From the Moon orbiter mission Chandrayaan-1 in 2008 and the ₹450 crore MOM, the Venus voyage — if approved — would be ISRO’s third interplanetary dash.

A lunar lander and rover mission called Chandrayaan-2 is getting ready to take off in January or February 2019.

ISRO says that it may lower the orbit of its future Venus spacecraft after a while for sharper observations. According to an informed ISRO official, the Venus mission would be comparable to the phenomenally popular MOM in terms of its the orbit and the cost.

The official said the plan was in very early stages and would get finely defined once the experiments were chosen. They would decide the weight of the spacecraft and the rocket that it would need.

pibimage.jpg

Department of Space
14-November, 2018 18:48 IST
India GSLV MkIII-D2 successfully launches GSAT-29

India’s GSAT-29 communication satellite was successfully launched by the second developmental flight of Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle MarkIII (GSLV MkIII-D2) today from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SDSC) SHAR, Sriharikota.

GSLV MkIII-D2 lifted off from the Second Launch Pad of SDSC SHAR at 17:08 hours (IST), carrying the 3423-kg GSAT-29 satellite. About 17 minutes later, the vehicle injected the satellite into the Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit (GTO) as planned.

After injection, ISRO’s Master Control Facility at Hassan has assumed the control of the satellite. In the coming days, three orbit raising manoeuvers will be executed to position the satellite in the Geostationary Orbit at its designated location.

GSLV Mk III is a three-stage heavy lift launch vehicle developed by the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).

Two massive boosters with solid propellant constitute the first stage, the core with liquid propellant form the second stage and the cryogenic engine completes the final stage.

GSAT-29 is a multiband, multi-beam communication satellite, intended to serve as test bed for several new and critical technologies. Its Ku-band and Ka-band payloads are configured to cater to the communication requirements of users including those from remote areas especially from Jammu & Kashmir and North-Eastern regions of India.

In addition, the Q/V-Band communication payload onboard is intended to demonstrate the future high throughput satellite system technologies. Geo High Resolution Camera will carry out high resolution imaging. Optical Communication Payload will demonstrate data transmission at a very high rate through optical communication link.

After the successful launch, ISRO Chairman Dr K Sivan said: “India has achieved significant milestone with our heaviest launcher lifting off the heaviest satellite from the Indian soil. The launch vehicle has precisely placed the satellite in its intended orbit. I congratulate entire ISRO team for this achievement.”

Declaring GSLV MKIII operational, Dr Sivan announced that Chandrayaan-2 and Gaganyaan missions will be launched by this heavy-lifter.

Shri Jayakumar B, Mission Director, GSLV Mark III said it is the guidance of the Mentors at ISRO that helped the team to march ahead while facing obstacles. “The industry partners too played a key role in this mission,” he said.

Shri K Pankaj Damodar, Project Director, GSAT-29 said the launch will help to bridge the digital divide. He also said several next generation payload technologies will be demonstrated with this mission soon.

The success of GSLV MkIII-D2 marks an important milestone in Indian space programme towards achieving self-reliance in launching heavier satellites. The success of this flight also signifies the completion of the experimental phase of GSLV Mark III.

The first successful mission of GSLV Mark III was an experimental suborbital flight in 2014. Subsequently, GSLV Mark III-D1 launched GSAT-19, a high throughput communication satellite, with a lift-off mass of 3150 kg, into GTO on June 5, 2017.

BB/NK /SS

pibimage.jpg

Prime Minister's Office
14-November, 2018 18:17 IST
PM congratulates ISRO scientists on successful launch of GSLV MK III-D2 carrying GSAT-29 satellite

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi has congratulated ISRO scientists on the successful launch of GSLV MK III-D2 carrying GSAT-29 satellite.

“My heartiest congratulations to our scientists on the successful launch of GSLV MK III-D2 carrying GSAT-29 satellite. The double success sets a new record of putting the heaviest satellite in orbit by an Indian launch vehicle.

The satellite will provide communication and internet services to the remotest corners of our country”, the Prime Minister said.

AKT/SH

REV-Chandrayaancol

Chandrayaan 2’s landing sensors to be tested at artificial site at Challakere

The Chandrayaan-2 lunar lander’s sensors are set to undergo a crucial test in the next few days as the mission races towards a planned take-off in around two months.

The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) plans to fly the sensors on an aircraft over its artificial lunar site at Challakere to see how they will function and guide the Chandrayaan-2 landing craft when it starts descending on the lunar terrain. The test flight is slated tentatively for November 24.

The orbiter carrying the lander and a rover is scheduled to be sent to the Moon from Sriharikota on January 31 and expected to reach there sometime in February 2019.

The test on ground, called the Lander Sensor Performance Test or LSPT, will be conducted at ISRO's new R&D campus in Chitradurga district, about 200 km from here, ISRO Chairman K. Sivan said.

The highly autonomous or pre-programmed mission uses a large number of sensors. Among them are those that help the lander to precisely assess its height from the landing spot; decide its speed and help it to steer clear of any boulders or uneven surface.

The lander is being developed and tested by the U.R. Rao Satellite Centre in Bengaluru. For the test, a prototype module carrying the sensors will be flown on one of ISRO's two small aircraft. As the plane descends from around 7 km to about 1 km over the artifical terrain, the sensors must show how they will guide the soft landing of the lunar craft at the right spot, speed and position.

Surface simulated
About two years back, ISRO had started readying a part of the Challakere site to resemble lunar craters and had conducted a few preliminary sensor tests. Features of the lander have since been modified and the upcoming tests will also validate the new design. “The development and testing of the orbiter are over. Lander-related activities are going on. We will then add the rover also [to tests.] Until the mission is launched, we would be testing all systems continuously after every integration,” said Dr. Sivan.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom