Share Tweet
Indian power minister's speech hit by power cut
By AFP
Published: May 20, 2016
128SHARES
Share Tweet Email
1107090-Indiaminister-1463757409-393-640x480.jpg

PHOTO: TWITTER/@india_samvad

NEW DELHI: India’s power minister was left red-faced Friday after the electricity went out during a press conference in New Delhi held to highlight the country’s achievements in reducing power cuts.

A video showing minister Piyush Goyal grinning sheepishly after the lights went out, leaving reporters in the dark for several seconds, quickly went viral on Indian social media.

During the press conference Goyal told reporters that India had achieved a “power surplus from chronic power shortage”.

India’s ruling BJP wins power in northeast, expands influence

“Irony of ironies: Power cut during Power Minister Piyush Goyal’s presser,” Twitter user Aashna Harjani posted.

With Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government set to mark two years in office on May 26, several ministries have held press conferences in recent days to talk about their achievements.

Goyal quickly recovered from his initial embarrassment to joke with journalists.

“My wife tells me the power should go out once at every (press conference) that I hold so you can be sure I have miles to go before I rest and sleep,” he said.

he may be fire few of his grid staff today after press conference:rofl: KLPD kara diya saloon ne :enjoy:

he may be fire few of his grid staff today after press conference:rofl: KLPD kara diya saloon ne :enjoy:

Sirjee, Grid staff only supplies electricity to the city/state. From there it is responsibility of distcom to distribute it, a completely different entity and the one under state government control. Why would he fire grid staff for failure on part of discom company?

There is a very good chance that this was one in long line of dirty tricks played by government of Delhi ,to embarrass him during conference. The current party in power is Delhi is his opposition and a dheet chicchor party known to play dirty tricks.

Am I the only one who'd like to know what was going through him at that very moment?

Delhi is under massive load shedding(thanks to Kejriwala)...While central govt is unable to sell surplus electricity even at 'dirt cheap' rate.....

lolz its rather opposite....Delhi govt( an anti-BJP govt) will rather reward the grid staffs for this....hahaha Its like PTI is ruling a state and PMLN minister goes there for an press conference and electricity gone....lolz

During the press conference Goyal told reporters that India had achieved a “power surplus from chronic power shortage”

Nobs think of themselves as some sort of super power. American patronage is going to their head.

Back
Top Bottom