What's new

Indian Political Corner | All Updates & Discussions.

Delhi Assembly Passes GST Bill, Manish Sisodia Calls It 'Big Reform'
Press Trust of India | Updated: Aug 24, 2016 20:11 IST
Delhi is the third non-NDA state after Bihar and Himachal Pradesh to ratify the bill.

New Delhi: Delhi Assembly today ratified the Goods and Service Tax (GST) Constitution Amendment Bill, becoming the third non-BJP-ruled state and overall the eighth to clear the proposed tax regime, billed as single biggest tax reform in decades.

The bill was endorsed by the House by a voice vote following a brief discussion during which Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia called GST a "big reform" which will be good for the country's economy and growth.

The two BJP legislators were not present when the bill was ratified as they had staged a walkout over a separate issue, while another party MLA was serving suspension from the House for allegedly making derogatory remarks against an AAP legislator.

Delhi's share in central taxes has been stagnant at Rs 325 crore for the last 17 year and rolling out of GST is expected to increase its share in central taxes significantly.

"It's good for the entire country, not only for Delhi. It will be extremely helpful in terms of services. For the last 17 years, Delhi has been getting Rs 325 crore as its share of Central taxes despite contributing as much as Rs 1,37,000 crore to the country's GDP. GST is a big reform," said Mr Sisodia.

The AAP government has been supporting the centre on the GST though both sides are locked in a bitter tussle over a range of issues for the last one-and-half years.

Speaking during the brief discussion on GST, a number of AAP legislators hailed the proposed tax regime.

Later the Deputy Chief Minister, took a jibe at the centre saying it has for the first time recognised the national capital as a "state".

"GST bill for the first time recognises Delhi as a state under the new Constitutional amendment to Art 366 - step in right direction finally," he said in a tweet.

The 122nd Constitution Amendment Bill has already been ratified by Bihar, Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh, Himachal Pradesh, Assam, Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh.

Delhi is the third non-NDA state after Bihar and Himachal to ratify the bill.

The GST bill, seen as single biggest tax reform in a long time, needs to be ratified by at least 15 state legislatures before the President can notify the GST council which will decide the new tax rate and other issues.

The Lok Sabha had passed the GST bill on August 9 while Rajya Sabha cleared it on August 4.

In his remarks, Mr Sisodia said there were some concerns over capping the annual turnover.

"There is no clarity on certain issues. Like businessmen in the capital with a turnover of up to Rs 20 lakh do not have to pay taxes. It should not be brought down.

We are in favour of increasing the threshold to Rs 25 lakh. Businessmen with a turonover of up to Rs 1.5 crore should pay taxes directly to the state government," he said.

Mr Sisodia said Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley had written to Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on the GST issue on August 11.
http://googleweblight.com/?lite_url...134550&sig=AKOVD649wanZLaudD-XCvF1qG-7yUErexw

Missed this bit of positive news from Delhi did we?:D

Later the Deputy Chief Minister, took a jibe at the centre saying it has for the first time recognised the national capital as a "state".

"GST bill for the first time recognises Delhi as a state under the new Constitutional amendment to Art 366 - step in right direction finally," he said in a tweet.

How is GST bill related to delhi statehood?

The 122nd Constitution Amendment Bill has already been ratified by Bihar, Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh, Himachal Pradesh, Assam, Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh.

8 done 7 more to go

The way things are turning I think in 2017 you will see 2 AAP parties contesting in Punjab, one controlled by Punjabis & one controlled by Delhiites. :pop:

hhhmmm.....I have no clue what chotepur will do..............but i think 6 months will be enough to prepare for elections.....considering genuine AAP people will be in new front.....old front will be left with people like aman aroa

Hope GST is formalised soon and I can finally do online shopping in Noida!

"Don't mix or compare the two situations. In 2010 there was a fake encounter. Today three militants were killed, how is the government to be blamed?" she snapped, adding that protesters defied curfew.

"Had a kid gone to buy a toffee from an army camp? A 15-year-old boy who attacked a police station, had he gone to buy milk? Don't compare the two," said Ms Mufti, emphasizing that "stone-throwing and protesting is not a solution."

http://m.ndtv.com/india-news/kashmi...s-rajnath-singh-1450140?pfrom=home-topstories

This from mouth of mufti :o

Anyway I feel glad reading this - the alliance wasn't a blunder after all . @SarthakGanguly @ranjeet @Nilgiri @PARIKRAMA @Darmashkian @PARIKRAMA
I don't know. Actions, more than rhetoric matters more in the long run. Time will tell.

The way things are turning I think in 2017 you will see 2 AAP parties contesting in Punjab, one controlled by Punjabis & one controlled by Delhiites. :pop:
Make that 3 AAP parties... prashant bhushan and yoya are also planning to fight in Punjab if am not wrong.

hhhmmm.....I have no clue what chotepur will do..............but i think 6 months will be enough to prepare for elections.....considering genuine AAP people will be in new front.....old front will be left with people like aman aroa

Who will give the new front funds? Kejriwal milked the COW for what its worth. :lol:

On a lighter note.. how soon can we expect songs like... Putt bhaiya de bulaunde bakre?
Or kinne saada jatt kuteya?

Make that 3 AAP parties... prashant bhushan and yoya are also planning to fight in Punjab if am not wrong.

Who will give the new front funds? Kejriwal milked the COW for what its worth. :lol:

On a lighter note.. how soon can we expect songs like... Putt bhaiya de bulaunde bakre?

for a long time chottepur has fought elections as an independent......he will do again.....funds came before too....it will come again now

for a long time chottepur has fought elections as an independent......he will do again.....funds came before too....it will come again now

But what about rest 116 seats? On how many seats do you think he can field his candidates?

Kingfisher Airlines brands fail to find buyers for the second time

This is what you get, when you advance unsecured loans to your customers/
Only in India!

And what would that be?

ROFOLWA

BJPians are not clean. Political DNA wise its not possible.
Many scams have taken place, but only to be swept under the rug.

Cqt3lIqW8AAI3IV.jpg

Morons at it again. The 3 diagonally opposite crosses shown in the ad is actually the emblem of East India Company. The cross in the emblem is a sign of British flag. No relation to Christianity whatsoever. I am sure MP Congress is behind these imbeciles.

Logo_eitc_emblem.jpg

Not 6 months, Election commission is planning code of conduct in last week of november or early december. EC wants to complete whole Punjab along with first phase of UP because they need extra Para military forces for UP. Also CBSE has written to complete process before March. I think only 3 months are available to prepare.
No Swaraj Abhyan of Prashant Bhushan & yoya is in alliance with fourth front of Dharmveer Gandhi.

Maybe Sukha Amli can help. His last hopes are on dividation of AAP votes

Bhaiyan ne mil k jatt nu sit leya :angry:
But what about rest 116 seats? On how many seats do you think he can field his candidates?
He alone will do nothing. He will join congress or Fourth Front. Fourth front created by DV gandhi is fighting on all 117 seats. It is alliance of Kingra (chotepur's friend), Bains Brothers(both are sitting independent MLAs),Swaraj Abhiyan & Jagmeet Brar (former big congress leader).
Yesterday in an interview Captain Amrinder was giving some hints on chotepur. Chotepur's chances of going in SAD are nominal. He is doing press confrence tomorrow. Things might get clear after that.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom