What's new

Indian plan towards Afghanistan???

rumit

New Recruit

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I would be grateful if you help me understand the issue of possible cooperation of India with the leaders of the "Northern Alliance" (A.Abdullah, M.Atta, B.Rabbani, А.Masoud).

Any cooperation of India in Afghanistan will be against Pakistan which means we would suffer strategicaly Hence both forums releated to Afghanistan one led by USA and other by Russia has kept India outside.

Hi everyone!
I would be grateful if you help me understand the issue of possible cooperation of India with the leaders of the "Northern Alliance" (A.Abdullah, M.Atta, B.Rabbani, А.Masoud).

Ok, let me give you my view.

The main objective of the aid program in Afghanistan is to win over hearts and minds there. Its an exercise of Indian 'soft power' as a way to increase influence in Afghanistan. This gives us a few advantages:

1) To India, Afghanistan is primarily a gateway to the mineral riches of Central Asia. As our economy grows, we need more resources and Central Asia is a potential source for us. Thats why we have helped built Chabbar port in Iran and are expanding our operations in Afghanistan. Winning over Afghan alliance gives us a strong footing in the region. We already have good relations with Tajikistan. And i believe (not sure) that we are also on good terms with Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan. So Afghanistan is an important gateway for us, and we need our gateway to be secure.

2) Afghanistan gives Pakistan strategic depth, and the Pakistan Top Brass knows this only too well. Hence they supported the Taliban government. For India, undermining this influence in Afghanistan and making Afghanistan an ally, or at least an India-friendly state, can cause serious headaches for Pakistan, who will be forced to divide their forces more.

3) A developed Afghanistan that's India-friendly will be more open to free trade with us. And we can engage in mutually beneficial trade.

Ok, now as for the Northern Alliance, we are naturally allied with them, since they are against the Taliban. The Taliban are obviously against India's plans (they piss in their pants every time the word "progress" is mentioned :D). So we have engaged in a strategic and fruitful relationship with the northern alliance to counter the Taliban. But all the while, we are also trying to win over the Pashtuns, since without them, we cant hope to have the influence in Afghanistan we desire.

And we have met with some success. Our aid projects like dams, roads and schools are more 'tangible' than some western aid efforts like training civil servants. Many afghans are happy that India is countering Pakistan's influence (Note: I did not say all) and since Indian troops are not bombing or shooting civilians, we are not seen as occupiers, but as developers and aid workers. So for a relatively cheap cost, we are making some good progress there, helping the Afghans and winning them over.

Any cooperation of India in Afghanistan will be against Pakistan which means we would suffer strategicaly Hence both forums releated to Afghanistan one led by USA and other by Russia has kept India outside.
Sir, I agree with you.
Are the Afghan leaders looking for close cooperation with indian leadership.

Ok, let me give you my view.

The main objective of the aid program in Afghanistan is to win over hearts and minds there. Its an exercise of Indian 'soft power' as a way to increase influence in Afghanistan. This gives us a few advantages:

1) To India, Afghanistan is primarily a gateway to the mineral riches of Central Asia. As our economy grows, we need more resources and Central Asia is a potential source for us. Thats why we have helped built Chabbar port in Iran and are expanding our operations in Afghanistan. Winning over Afghan alliance gives us a strong footing in the region. We already have good relations with Tajikistan. And i believe (not sure) that we are also on good terms with Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan. So Afghanistan is an important gateway for us, and we need our gateway to be secure.

2) Afghanistan gives Pakistan strategic depth, and the Pakistan Top Brass knows this only too well. Hence they supported the Taliban government. For India, undermining this influence in Afghanistan and making Afghanistan an ally, or at least an India-friendly state, can cause serious headaches for Pakistan, who will be forced to divide their forces more.

3) A developed Afghanistan that's India-friendly will be more open to free trade with us. And we can engage in mutually beneficial trade.

Ok, now as for the Northern Alliance, we are naturally allied with them, since they are against the Taliban. The Taliban are obviously against India's plans (they piss in their pants every time the word "progress" is mentioned :D). So we have engaged in a strategic and fruitful relationship with the northern alliance to counter the Taliban. But all the while, we are also trying to win over the Pashtuns, since without them, we cant hope to have the influence in Afghanistan we desire.

And we have met with some success. Our aid projects like dams, roads and schools are more 'tangible' than some western aid efforts like training civil servants. Many afghans are happy that India is countering Pakistan's influence (Note: I did not say all) and since Indian troops are not bombing or shooting civilians, we are not seen as occupiers, but as developers and aid workers. So for a relatively cheap cost, we are making some good progress there, helping the Afghans and winning them over.
Thank you very mach!

Back
Top Bottom