What's new

Indian painter given Qatar nationality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, i would. If they wanted to come back, they should be able to do so. Freedom of speech is not something that should be easily fettered. Lots of people here are taking the easy way out - 'you can't insult my feelings'. What use is freedom of speech if you are only free to express it if everyone agrees with you? It's true test is when people don't agree but still respect your right to hold your opinion.

Religion is a very delicate matter... one needs to be very carefull before saying/doing anything about it... here one's whole belief system is hurt. Its like drawing a nude picture of your family member....
Everything has limits so do freedom. "Balance" is the one which needs to be maintained...

CORRECT ME if I am wrong but 99% of old hindu temples have naked images on walls , and ppl worship the lingum (penis based on scholors for one of their gods I don't recall which one was it), the above is not my opinion but proven articles

I mean any old temples , these images are engraved in walls etc as well

How is the painter doing anything wrong , ask any thing wrong its some big time , hypocracy

Kama Sutra , an 100% indian creation lol ... come on guys

I personally think there some confusion

Because if the painter is wrong may be all the explicit imagry in old temples should also be removed ? ? ?

Also how can any human know how any diety dressed ? Its just a representation of an artist how a diety should look like (interpetation)

We all come naked in this world just for the record - Its kinda , strange becasue , on one hand , the Indian templaes have these images in temples and historical proof of how highly charged the old life style was , and just because ppl have became conservative then obviously things changed now...

I might have to conduct some reserch on hinduism to dig in more research but I do recall I spent few days to read about the whole hundu thought process etc for general knowledge

There are 5 temples in my home town. 5
I never saw ANY nude painting in those temples or the temples I havae visited back home...
JUST like how YOU guys say , indians should NOT talk abt Islam coz we know nill abt hew relegion ..... doesnt that apply to pakistanis ???
reading some articles does not make you guys understanding the whole relegion.

PS for your vast knowledge... the paintings are drawn mere for the concentration...in an todays world how many % of people can meditate when U see a nude painting?????
Damn it man .
and for ur rants abt India being NOT secular... its NONE of ur frekkin business... wtevr we are , we are miles ahed of U. just remember that.

and the paintings drawn in the Ajanta Ellora caves , the original source of the paintings , dates abck to SECOND century. todays society and the society in 2nd century are completely different.
right then ppl used to draw the paintings of nude deities , as they them selves were , without much knowledge of clothes.
did U hear Levis or Diesel date back to 2nd or 10th century ????

Use your heads.... and for Jana stop the articles which entice hatred bw relegions and stop acting plain innocent!!!

Wow.... people from a community who were ready to burn down the newspaper office and kill the reporter for creating cartoons of their religious figure....are questioning Indians for their religious tolerance.....

So making a cartoon of your religious figure in Not ok...but making nude paintings religious figures from other religions is ok.... Talking of hipocracy.

Good that he moved from here...he was anyways no good to society..just a tharki old buddha....salivating for painting every female body nude...

See the difference , is we don't agree to any picture , with clothese or with out - no picture ....

Hinduism , does promotes symbolism , idol creation and imagry , and imagry is bound to what ever the artist of the time deemed appropriate, in past ppl engraved naked figures on walls, caves, and temples in india .. becasue it was normal

Obviously after Muslims came in India , the conservative thought process evolved , and obviously :) you guys are actually acting subconciously on Islamic thought process of modesty - some where down the time Muslims came in Indian continent , the society got a bit more conservative ... or may be it happened earlier then that - remains to be seen

Real Hinduism has no such concept of modesty check out old caves and painting on old old temples and relics

Reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Khajuraho12.jpg

Other images are kinda R rated so I think I made my point

This image is thousand and thousand of years old form god know when .... so point being ...what us un hinduist about what the painter did ?? Isn't this what Hindu artist did in ancient times ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Indischer_Maler_des_6._Jahrhunderts_001.jpg

(warning click at your own descretion)
http://truereligiondebate.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/2214121-temple-art-in-khajuraho-1.jpg

Worshiping of Shiva's sexual organ (lingam)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lingam please read scroll down and get the full explaination
clearly states , the phallas is a representation of Shiva's ..you know what ..and people do it openly

A artifact from 9 century AD before muslim came in Subcontinent
http://www.worldartandantiques.com/waagallery/d/1542-2/HS013.jpg

Notice the statues are vandalised/damaged may be wars or theives extensively ...and also you can see naked imagry at bottom , these are history facts - not science fiction...I don't see what exactly did the painter did that is any different from what exists in temples already

For me my interest is history , and understanding different religions so I routinely examine other thought process to better understand people's views

From my end I find it facinating

Anyhow , I will continue to research on my own time, If I am wrong I will continue to learn more .. I apologize in advance

Last edited:
No offence, but in some footage of Indian movies, you witness scenes in old Mandirs with naked figures carved in the decor.
Can some one enlighten please.

No offence, but in some footage of Indian movies, you witness scenes in old Mandirs with naked figures carved in the decor.

Its not banned, his paintings even today are not banned in india.

He managed to make some ppl angry because he went beyond painting nude to painting provocative - for example a nude sita riding hanuman's tail (hanuman was her protector as per mythology) etc. I have no problem with that too, but he himself did not release his own bollywood movie when some muslims protested a song in that movie, that reeks of double standard.

Also,

1) he was not kicked out of india, he chose to leave
2) his personal security was never compromised
3) he's been painting those pics for decades, he left india only recently,i believe he was pursuaded by some gulf royal family

Last edited:
factually incorrect

he had complete protection in india, show me ONE case where his security was compromised??

Taslima was kicked out of india when muslims protested

You have all your facts and conclusions upside down. Even that comment abt songs, mam, the issue is MFs stand on artistic freedom, he himself gave it up when it came to muslim sentiments, but stood for it when painting sita naked riding hanuman. come on, its not that difficult.

Oh bhai sahab read the entire thread who is talking about Artistic freedom ???

We are talking about Indians' hypocrisy.

Behenji, there is no hypocrisy, the only hypocricy is mr hussain's as he wants to hurt hindu sentiments under his artistic liberty but quickly cancels release of his own movie when muslim semtiments are involved.

there is no indian hypocricy as we have NOT kicked him out (while we have kicked out taslima nasreen), given him full protection (he left out of his own choice), not banned his paintings (while we were the first to ban salman rashdie's book), we gave him love and made him the ****** rich star he is today (he's from a very poor background).

I understand why the gulf royal families like him so much but hate the danish cartoonists and most other liberal artists for that matter, their hypocricy tops everyone else's :)

yeah mf husain is indian.. haha... btw check newspapres, indian govt has said they are willing to give security if he comes back. govt is ok with what he has done. matter closed , no hypocricy. muslims should now apologise for the killing of danish cartoonist.

This is what confused me about this thread also. I have seen an old english translation of the Puranas which depict Krishna stealing clothes from girls bathing in a river, leaving them naked. In the actual book (holy text in the Hindu religion), there were pictures of these nude girls in an artists rendition. This particular scene is celebrated in many places, such as in the video below:

I don't condemn this or call it good or bad. It's just that it led me to believe that perhaps there is a different standard re sexuality etc. in different religions.

Then, if you look at several hindu temples (one image of the template in Khaujorajo below) you will find that the images are far more explicit than anything MF Husain ever painted. However, these temples are preserved and revered.

d443fb796a02928db09a0abae19b1203.jpg

Please understand that I am NOT interested in commenting on hinduism or whether any of the above is good or bad. I believe that to each man his own. As long as we don't harm others we are free to believe what we wish. The reason I bring this up is to question whether what has been done to MF Husain by hindu extremists is motivated by hatred against muslims. If the nudity was the issue, they would first burn all their own documents with the above mentioned scene re Krishna, or destroy these temples...

Last edited by a moderator:
Religion is a very delicate matter... one needs to be very carefull before saying/doing anything about it... here one's whole belief system is hurt. Its like drawing a nude picture of your family member....
Everything has limits so do freedom. "Balance" is the one which needs to be maintained...

Check out the posts in this thread. Its is only one's own religion that people are bothered about. Nobody here seems to have a problem insulting the religion of others. The Indian state has no religion. The only book it should follow is the constitution. That confers protection on M.F.Hussain and anyone else who finds himself (or herself) in a similar predicament. That should be all that matters to the state. Individuals can hold any opinion, the state cannot. The sanctity of the constitution has to be upheld over all else. If we don't do that, then what is the difference between us and a banana republic.

This is what confused me about this thread also. I have seen an old english translation of the Puranas which depict Krishna stealing clothes from girls bathing in a river, leaving them naked. In the actual book (holy text in the Hindu religion), there were pictures of these nude girls in an artists rendition. This particular scene is celebrated in many places, such as in the video below:

YouTube- Krishna stealing the clothes of gopis

I don't condemn this or call it good or bad. It's just that it led me to believe that perhaps there is a different standard re sexuality etc. in different religions.

Then, if you look at several hindu temples (one image of the template in Khaujorajo below) you will find that the images are far more explicit than anything MF Husain ever painted. However, these temples are preserved and revered.

Please understand that I am NOT interested in commenting on hinduism or whether any of the above is good or bad. I believe that to each man his own. As long as we don't harm others we are free to believe what we wish. The reason I bring this up is to question whether what has been done to MF Husain by hindu extremists is motivated by hatred against muslims. If the nudity was the issue, they would first burn all their own documents with the above mentioned scene re Krishna, or destroy these temples...

Nudity is not the problem, please see the pictures posted by toxic plus - paintings by mf hussain - and then comment. Nude is one thing, sexually suggestive depiction of hindu mythology characters (like nude sita riding hanuman's tail, nude lakshmi sitting on ganesha's elephant head) is another.

And those famous figures from khajuraho, they are an exception. Nobody creates such temples anymore. besides, they do not depict our deities.

Yes these temples are preserved as they should be, what do want us to do, a bamian?

Last edited:

The stealing of clothes incidents are not sexual in nature. As per the stories, Krishna was supposedly quite young at that time.

This is not something that is revered. The images depicted are not deities, and they are only on the exterior of the temple. The idea is that the subconscious sexual inclinations can be satisfied and removed from the mind before entry into the temple. You may agree or disagree with the concept. In any case it is very rare - only at Khajurao as far as I know.

Hinduism , does promotes symbolism , idol creation and imagry , and imagry is bound to what ever the artist of the time deemed appropriate, in past ppl engraved naked figures on walls, caves, and temples in india .. becasue it was normal

Sanatan Dharma permits symbolism, it is not necessarily promoted.

But then symbolism is inherent in human nature. For example, suppose somebody spits on a Koran. Muslims may get say so enraged that they will murder the fellow on the spot. Why? Think about it. It is because the Koran symbolizes something to them.

Obviously after Muslims came in India , the conservative thought process evolved , and obviously :) you guys are actually acting subconciously on Islamic thought process of modesty - some where down the time Muslims came in Indian continent , the society got a bit more conservative ... or may be it happened earlier then that - remains to be seen

It is true that the Islamic invaders were very barbaric. As narrated in the Sahih Hadiths, torture, kidnapping, rape, enslavement have been a part of Islam since the time of Prophet Muhammad. [references can be provided].

So, the Islamic invasions led to a change in the culture, in order to protect the womenfolk from savagery.

Real Hinduism has no such concept of modesty check out old caves and painting on old old temples and relics

Reference:
File:Khajuraho12.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Other images are kinda R rated so I think I made my point

This image is thousand and thousand of years old form god know when .... so point being ...what us un hinduist about what the painter did ?? Isn't this what Hindu artist did in ancient times ?

File:Indischer Maler des 6. Jahrhunderts 001.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(warning click at your own descretion)
http://truereligiondebate.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/2214121-temple-art-in-khajuraho-1.jpg

Please see my reply to TechLahore.

Worshiping of Shiva's sexual organ (lingam)
Lingam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia please read scroll down and get the full explaination
clearly states , the phallas is a representation of Shiva's ..you know what ..and people do it openly

The Linga-Yoni in Shiva temples represents the Purusha-Prakriti duality of the universe. Purusha means unmanifested spirit, Prakriti is manifested creation.

It is quite similar to the Yin-Yang concept in East Asia.

At one time these deep philosophical ideas were common not only in present day India, but also in the areas that are now in Pakistan and Afghanistan. After conversion to Islam, such understanding was generally lost.

A artifact from 9 century AD before muslim came in Subcontinent
http://www.worldartandantiques.com/waagallery/d/1542-2/HS013.jpg

Notice the statues are vandalised/damaged may be wars or theives extensively ...and also you can see naked imagry at bottom , these are history facts - not science fiction...I don't see what exactly did the painter did that is any different from what exists in temples already

Unfortunately such vandalism was a routine feature of Islamic invasions. It continues till today - recall the Bamiyan Buddhas.

For me my interest is history , and understanding different religions so I routinely examine other thought process to better understand people's views

From my end I find it facinating

Anyhow , I will continue to research on my own time, If I am wrong I will continue to learn more .. I apologize in advance

No need to apologize. I appreciate your interest. I will be happy to answer any further questions that you may have.

Last edited:
If there is something missing or wrong then kindly correct it because i have collected the following details from net and wiki

Some details on the artist MF Hussain

Maqbool Fida Husain, (born September 17, 1915, Pandharpur, Maharashtra, India) popularly known as M F Husain, is an Indian artist, whose work over a career of over seven decades has been prolific.

According to Forbes magazine, he has been called the "Picasso of India".[2] After a long, successful career his work suddenly became controversial in 1996, when he was 81 years old, following the publication of an article about nude images of Hindu deities painted in the 1970s.[3][4] Following death threats and legal actions, Husain went into exile. There are 1,250 cases pending against him all over India.[5] In 2010 he accepted an offer of Qatar nationality.[6]

Personal life and education
Husain comes from a Sulaimani Bohra Indian family. His mother died when he was one and a half years old. His father remarried and moved to Indore, where Husain went to school. In 1935, he moved to Mumbai and was admitted to the Sir J. J. School of Art.

He started off by painting cinema hoardings.

[edit] Career
[edit] 1940-1965
Husain first became well-known as an artist in the late 1940s. In 1947, he joined the Progressive Artists' Group, founded by Francis Newton Souza. This was a clique of young artists who wished to break with the nationalist traditions established by the Bengal school of art and to encourage an Indian avant-garde, engaged at an international level. In 1952, his first solo exhibition was held at Zürich and over the next few years, his work was widely seen in Europe and U.S.. In 1955, he was awarded the prestigious Padma Shree prize by the Government of India.[7][edit] 1965-1990
In 1967, he made his first film, Through the Eyes of a Painter. It was shown at the Berlin Film Festival and won a Golden Bear.[8][9]

M. F. Husain was a special invitee along with Pablo Picasso at the Sao Paulo Biennial in 1971.[9] He has been awarded the Padma Bhushan in 1973 and was nominated to the Rajya Sabha in 1986.[9] He was awarded the Padma Vibhushan in 1991.

[edit] 1990-present
Husain went on to become the highest paid painter in India. His single canvases have fetched up to $2 million at a recent Christie's auction.[10]

He has also worked (produced & directed) on few movies, including Gaja Gamini (with his muse Madhuri Dixit who was the subject of a series of his paintings which he signed Fida). The film was intended as a tribute to Ms. Dixit herself.[11] In this film she can be seen portraying various forms and manifestations of womanhood including the muse of Kalidasa, the Mona Lisa, a rebel, and musical euphoria. He went on to make Meenaxi: A Tale of Three Cities (with Tabu). His autobiography is being made into a movie tentatively titled The Making of the Painter., starring Shreyas Talpade as the young Husain.[12]

The Peabody Essex Museum (PEM) (USA, Massachusetts) showed a solo exhibition from 4 November 2006 to 3 June 2007. It exhibited Husain’s paintings inspired by the Hindu epic, Mahabharata.

At the age of 92 Husain was to be given the prestigious Raja Ravi Varma award by the government of Kerala.[13] The announcement led to controversy in Kerala and some Sangh Parivar and cultural organisations campaigned against the granting of the award and petitioned the Kerala courts. The Kerala High Court granted an intermin order to stay the granting of the award until the petition had been disposed of.[14]

In early 2008, Husain’s Battle of Ganga and Jamuna: Mahabharata 12, a large diptych, from the Hindu epic, fetched $1.6 million, setting a world record at Christie's South Asian Modern and Contemporary Art sale.[3]

[edit] Controversies

In the 1990s some of Husain's works became controversial because of their portrayal of Hindu deities in the nude or in an allegedly sexual manner.[15]. The paintings in question were created in 1970, but did not become an issue until 1996, when they were printed inVichar Mimansa, a Hindi monthly magazine, which published them in an article headlined "M.F. Husain: A Painter or Butcher". In response, eight criminal complaints were filed against Husain. In 2004, Delhi High Court dismissed these complaints of "promoting enmity between different groups ... by painting Hindu goddesses — Durga and Sarswati — in an uncharitable manner hurting the sentiments of Hindus".[16][17][18]

The controversy escalated to the extent that in 1998 Husain's house was attacked by Hindu groups like Bajrang Dal and art works were vandalised. The leadership of Shiv Sena endorsed the attack. Twenty six Bajrang Dal activists were arrested by the police.[19] Protests against Husain also led to the closure of an exhibition in London, England.

In February 2006, Husain was charged with hurting sentiments of people because of his nude portraits of Hindu gods and goddesses.[20]

A series of cases were brought against him and a court case related to the alleged obscene depiction of Hindu goddesses in his paintings resulted in issuing a non-bailable warrant against Husain after he failed to respond to summons.

There were also reportedly death threats.[21][22] The artist left the country stating that "matters are so legally complicated that I have been advised not to return home.".[23] Now living in Dubai and London, he continues to stay away from India, but has expressed a strong desire to return, despite fears that he may be arrested in connection with these cases.[24] A recent Supreme Court order has suspended an arrest warrant for Husain.[22] The law ministry has examined half-a-dozen works by Husain and told the government that prosecutors would have a strong case against him if they sued him for deliberately hurting religious feelings[25]

In February 2010, he was offered and accepted Qatari nationality.[26]

[edit] Mother India
In February 6, 2006 issue, India Today, a national English weekly published an advertisement titled "Art For Mission Kashmir". This advertisement contains a painting of Bharatmata (Mother India) as a nude woman posed across a map of India with the names of Indian States on various parts of her body. The exhibition was organised by Nafisa Ali of Action India (NGO) and Apparao Art Gallery.[27]

Organizations like Hindu Jagruti Samiti and Vishva Hindu Parishad (VHP) have protested persistently against Husain displaying the painting on the websites and even in exhibitions in north Europe. As a result, on February 7, 2006 Husain apologised and promised to withdraw the painting from an auction.[28][29]

The painting later appeared on Husain's official website.

Meenaxi: A Tale of Three Cities
Husain's film Meenaxi: A Tale of Three Cities[30] was pulled out of movie theatres a day after some Muslim organisations raised objections to one of the songs in it.[31] The All-India Ulema Council complained that the Qawwali song ‘Noor-un-Ala-Noor’ was blasphemous. It argued that the song contained words directly taken from the Quran. The council was supported by Muslim organisations like the Milli Council, All-India Muslim Council, Raza Academy, Jamiat-ul-Ulema-e-Hind and Jamat-e-Islami.

Husain's son stated that the words were a phrase referring to divine beauty that were being sung by the central character played by Tabu. He said there was no intention to offend.

[edit] Supporters and critics
The artistic community has been supportive[32] as well as critical. Krishan Khanna, one of Husain's contemporaries, stated that "It's not just Husain's but the entire artist community's lives which are at stake. Anybody and everybody can file a case against us now. Anyone can infringe upon our lives". Others who have expressed anger at the "vicious campaigns" against Husain, include filmmaker Saeed Mirza, social activist Nafisa Ali, theatre personality M. K. Raina and a host of other artistes, art critics and art gallery owners. Salil Tripathi, writing in the International Herald Tribune, notes that Hindu goddesses have regularly been portrayed in the nude by Hindu artists. Tripathi asserts that,[33]

“ It is hypocritical to place curbs on Husain's artistic freedom. What's more shameful is that a government that claims to be the secular alternative to Hindu nationalists is threatening to prosecute Husain. This does not do India proud; it adds to India's disgrace. ”

Other Indian artists have expressed criticism. Satish Gujral has gone on record to ask Husain whether he will be bold enough to treat icons of Islam in the same manner.[34] However Gujral says he deeply regrets the way Husain was treated and forced into an exile because of what he terms "the mob culture".[35] According to a senior Hindu artist and former President, Bombay Art Society, Gopal Adivrekar,[36]

“ Nothing is bad in being creative but the artists should not go for such artwork, which may hurt the sentiments of a segment of the society. ”

Writing in The Pioneer, Chandan Mitra wrote,[36][37]

“ As long as such a law exists in the statutes, nobody can be faulted for approaching the courts against Hussain's objectionable paintings, nor can the judiciary be pilloried for ordering action against the artist for his persistent and deliberate refusal to appear before the court. ”

In response to the controversy, Husain's admirers have petitioned the government to grant Husain the Bharat Ratna, India's highest award. According to Shashi Tharoor, who supports the petition, it praises Husain because his "life and work are beginning to serve as an allegory for the changing modalities of the secular in modern India — and the challenges that the narrative of the nation holds for many of us. This is the opportune and crucial time to honour him for his dedication and courage to the cultural renaissance of his beloved country."[38]

the paintings at the outside of the temple depicts lust and the sins of mankind including busts of murder, carnal sex, theft etc. it inscribes that which is forbidden and implores that you leave that outside before you enter the mandhil. Krsna's removing of the clothes of the ladies is a an act which was symbolic. remove all your material wants including symbolically your clothes and your skin and bow before the Lord with your soul and then shall your prayers be answered. there is much more to hindu depictions than we see. the nude paintings by the artist was offensive to hindus. he should just have apologised and gotten over with it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom