What's new

Indian Navy Chief Admiral Sureesh Mehta Spells Out Vision 2022

Indian Navy gearing up for globe maiden solo

PANAJI: India’s maiden mission to solo circumnavigate the globe will be attempted on a sail boat made on the island of Divar and named ‘Mhadei’.

No boat flying the Indian flag has undertaken a solo circumnavigation under sails. When Mumbai-based Commander Dilip Donde, 41, of the Indian Navy casts away on August 15 from Mumbai, on a journey estimated to take nine months, he will also be making a bid to enter the elite club of solo circumnavigators.

Aquarius Fibreglass in Goa, owned by Ratnakar Dandekar, bagged the contract to build the 56-ft yacht and worked on a design purchased from a Dutch company.

“The boat’s construction commenced on Christmas Day 2007,” said 83-year-old vice admiral (retd) M P Awati, who was instrumental in conceiving and starting the project.

Speaking at a ceremony at which the yacht was handed over to the navy, chief of naval staff Admiral Sureesh Mehta compared the feat to climbing Mount Everest.

On his journey, Donde will have three stop-overs in Australia, New Zealand and South Africa. Asked how he would spend his time as he singly traverses the world’s oceans, Donde said if the weather conditions permitted, he would catch up on a novel. “When I need to sleep, the yacht will be on auto-pilot,” he said.

Incidentally, the first person to solo circumnavigate the globe, Sir Robin Knox Johnston of the UK in 1968-69 in 312 days, is in Goa to help tune the boat and train Donde for the mission.

The boat costs around Rs 4 crore, while the journey will come to another Rs 2 crore, the Indian Navy said.

Goa-made yacht ready to make history-Goa-Cities-The Times of India

http://www.ptinews.com/pti%5Cptisite.nsf/0/C46D432A958CFDAE65257560003F782F?OpenDocument

Indian Navy all set to hasten process for acquiring aircraft
Ajit K Dubey

New Delhi, Feb 17 (PTI) With security of coastal areas coming in for greater attention in the wake of the Mumbai attacks, the Indian Navy is all set to "hasten" the process of acquiring six medium-range maritime reconnaissance aircraft, bids for which have been submitted to the Defence Ministry.

"Bids were submitted by the contenders in November last year before the Mumbai attacks. But with an urgency to fill the gaps in security of coastal areas, the acquisition process for these aircraft will be hastened," Defence Ministry sources told PTI.

The bidders for the contract include American Boeing with P-8 (a derivative of P-8I), Russian Illyushin, French Dassault Falcon and EADS. The request for proposal (RFP) for procuring these aircraft was floated by the Ministry in June 2008.

"Right now the bids submitted by the contenders are being evaluated by the Technical Evaluation Committee (TEC) of the Defence Ministry. By the end of this month, these companies are expected to submit their offset proposals to the Ministry," they said.

Under the Defence Procurement Procedure 2008, it is mandatory for the companies awarded defence contracts worth over USD 300 million to invest 30 per cent of the total amount back in the Indian defence sector. After going through the technical and offsets bids, the Ministry will shortlist the contenders who meet the requirements. PTI

defence shipyards flush with orders for small,med boats

New Delhi, Feb 17 (PTI) With the Home Ministry looking to procure more boats for uniformed forces under it, Indian defence shipyards are flush with orders for supplying small and medium sized boats.
The Goa Shipyard limited has received an order for 116 boats from the Home Ministry and the shipyard has supplied two boats each of five tonne and 12 tonne class to the Home Ministry, Defence Ministry said in a document listing its achievements in the last year.

Similarly, Kolkata-based Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE) yard has orders for construction of 78 interceptor boats from various Government agencies.

Some of these boats have even been exported to countries such as Maldives and Bhutan.

The Border Security Force under the Home Ministry has its own water-wing and uses it for patrolling riverine areas in the North-east and the Creek area on the western frontier.

For the Navy, the shipyard delivered the Landing Ship Tank INS Kesari and two waterjet fast attack crafts.

The shipyard has signed various MoUs with private sector companies to encourage their partnership with the Public sector.

The Mazgaon dockyards is also undertaking construction of three stealth frigates, three missile destroyers and six Scorpene submarines under Navy's Project-17, Project 15A and Project 75 respectively.

India's indigenous aircraft carrier to sail by 2011: Indian Navy chief-India-The Times of India

India's indigenous aircraft carrier to sail by 2011: Indian Navy chief
18 Feb 2009, 1356 hrs IST, IANS

NEW DELHI: Progressing towards self-reliance in the defence industry, India's first indigenous aircraft carrier will be in the waters by 2011, Indian Navy chief Admiral Sureesh Mehta said Wednesday.

The under-construction aircraft carrier will be ready in two years.

"Our indigenous aircraft carrier is being constructed in Kochi. It has been three years since the work started. On Feb 28, what we call keel laying of the carrier will take place," Mehta told reporters here.

The building of a ship can be divided into seven phases: design, construction planning, work prior to keel laying, ship erection, launching, final outfitting, and sea trials.

"Many of the parts have already been constructed. My estimate is that it should be in the water in two years," Mehta said.

The aircraft carrier is expected to have 40,000 tonne displacement capacity at an estimated cost of Rs.3,000 crore (Rs.30 billion).

The Indian Navy is currently operating only one full deck aircraft carrier, the INS Viraat, also the only one being operated by a country in Asia or Western Pacific. In a bid to become a true-blue water navy, the Indian Navy is expected to operate three aircraft carriers by 2015.

So, it has 40,000 tone displacement greater then the expected 37000tone displacement.:what:
And also cost is also less than a 1 billion $.

Ahead of gorky and cheap.

AMAZING

Last edited:
Please have Look at this Horrifying (But Impossible) Vision of Your Admiral Suresh Mehta.

NEW DELHI: Indian Navy chief Admiral Sureesh Mehta has warned of a potential nuclear threat from the sea route. Nuclear weapons may be smuggled into
India in a cargo container, said Admiral Mehta.

The statement comes after sources revealed that the Taliban have plans to attack western cultural centres in Indian cities. However, NO specific intelligence inputs on the nature of the threat, the specific target, the timing or the group have been received.

Indian naval chief warns of nuke attack from sea - GEO.tv

I think he had a Nightmare :devil: last Night :woot: . He is still in shock after 26/11 :cry:

Nuclear Weapons :rofl: :crazy:

If he was Hinting that Pakistan will Smuggle Nuclear Weapons to India :crazy: he must Realize that Pakistani Nukes are safe and He must Not Listen to Indian Media Propaganda and Especially to Star News Channel.

What is horrifying and impossible thing.

Care to explain please.

What is horrifying and impossible thing.

Care to explain please.

Do i Need to Explain how Horrifying it will be if Nuclear Weapons are smuggled into India By terrorists and then Used on Indian Cities And do you think its possible.

You mean What Suresh Mehta said without any Intelligence Report that Nuclear weapons can be smuggled into India is not Horrifying, He is just Scaring People of India and Putting baseless and illogical allegations on Pakistan.

Smuggling of Nuclear Weapons to India From Pakistan is Not Like 10 Terrorists Equipped with AK-47s and Grenades. Its a Different Scenario and I think Suresh Mehta who is an Admiral Must know the difference Between AK-47 and Nuclear weapons and he must Realize that Pakistani Nukes are In Safe Hands.

Do i Need to Explain how Horrifying it will be if Nuclear Weapons are smuggled into India By terrorists and then Used on Indian Cities And do you think its possible.

You mean What Suresh Mehta said without any Intelligence Report that Nuclear weapons can be smuggled into India is not Horrifying, He is just Scaring People of India and Putting baseless and illogical allegations on Pakistan.

Smuggling of Nuclear Weapons to India From Pakistan is Not Like 10 Terrorists Equipped with AK-47s and Grenades. Its a Different Scenario and I think Suresh Mehta who is an Admiral Must know the difference Between AK-47 and Nuclear weapons and he must Realize that Pakistani Nukes are In Safe Hands.

Fist please don't make your posts look like a rainbow. i can read in normal fonts (This is purely a request)
What is going on in your mind? Where exactly he has mentioned anything about Pakistan? NOWHERE this is your conclusion based on what sort of logic you only know as per as ToI news reports says

He mentions about container security check the news item: Navy chief warns of nuke attack from sea-India-The Times of India

Stop running your baseless rhetoric.

Fist please don't make your posts look like a rainbow. i can read in normal fonts (This is purely a request)
What is going on in your mind? Where exactly he has mentioned anything about Pakistan? NOWHERE this is your conclusion based on what sort of logic you only know as per as ToI news reports says

He mentions about container security check the news item: Navy chief warns of nuke attack from sea-India-The Times of India

Stop running your baseless rhetoric.

He didn't named pakistan in specifically but Everyone Including your Own Media has reported that He was Hinting at Pakistan in his Unsaid Words.

There is nothing going on in my Mind but i m not Sure about Your Admirals Mind and I Really don't care what Kind of Nightmares :taz: he is having These Days.

Stop running your baseless rhetoric

I think you better Tell this to your Admiral.

This thread is about Suresh Mehta's Statements about India and IN so i posted his latest Statement and that's it. I don't care what IN inducts or what are your Challenges i Care about PN and Pakistan.

Last edited:
He didn't named pakistan in specifically but Everyone Including your Own Media has reported that He was Hinting at Pakistan in his Unsaid Words.

There is nothing going on in my Mind but i m not Sure about Your Admirals Mind and I Really don't care what Kind of Nightmares :taz: he is having These Days.
Oh so you are a mind reader. I have posted the link it clearly says about container security. No where it mentions about your country.

I think you better Tell this to your Admiral.
Sorry, he does not have time for such rhetorics.

Oh so you are a mind reader. I have posted the link it clearly says about container security. No where it mentions about your country.

Sorry, he does not have time for such rhetorics.

I think I have made my Point Clear Enough, I don't want to repeat it again and again, I don't intend to Prolong this Conversation any Longer as I am Done with you.

Continue with your Visions of Suresh Mehta, Good Luck. :enjoy:

I think I have made my Point Clear Enough, I don't want to repeat it again and again, I don't intend to Prolong this Conversation any Longer as I am Done with you.

Continue with your Visions of Suresh Mehta, Good Luck. :enjoy:
So you accept that you are running a rhetoric. Then I am also done with you.

Swedish Firm Consilium AB Wins Indian Navy Navigation Equipment Order Worth USD 460000

Dated 20/2/2009

Consilium has received an order to deliver navigation equipment for three destroyers being built at the Mazagon yard in Mumbai for the Indian Navy. The order value is more than 4 MSEK. The order consists of navigation equipment for the naval vessels in India's new destroyer program (Project 15 Alpha – Kolkata), based on the Consilium Selux radar.

The destroyers will be fitted with numerous top modern technical solutions, and will with a cruising speed of more than 30 knots also be used for protection of the Indian coast from piracy and drug trafficking. Consilium will deliver the equipment during the 2009-2011 period. "We are experiencing a good demand for our navigational solutions from coast guarding agencies and naval units and this order verifies our strong radar offering. The order is also a result of successful deliveries previously made to the Indian Navy.", said Ove Hansson, Consilium's President and CEO.

Consilium is one of the world's leading suppliers of safety and navigation products and solutions. The product portfolio comprises systems for fire protection, gas and emission detection, automation systems and navigational equipment, among other things. Systems and products are mainly marketed towards shipyards and ship owners, together with the oil and gas industry.

The guiding-star of Consilium's total offerings is to contribute in the protection of lives, material assets and the environment. Consilium's goal is to be the customer's first choice when safety matters and to offer superior customer value. The ambition is to become a global leader within well defined market and product areas, by utilization of the Group's combined competence, long experience and successful innovations – and thereby create long-lasting shareholder value. Consilium is publicly listed on the OMX Nordic Exchange, has more than 450 employees and a turnover exceeding 900 MSEK.

Back
Top Bottom