ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Indian fisherman shot dead by Sri Lankan navy
J Arockiaraj| TNN | Updated: Mar 7, 2017, 12.33 AM IST
HIGHLIGHTS
  • Sri Lankan navy allegedly opened fire at Britso on Monday evening
  • Around 400 fishing trawlers had ventured for fishing from Rameswaram fishing jetty
  • Two more fishermen said to have suffered injuries in the firing
57502628.jpg
(Representative image)
MADURAI: An Indian fisherman was shot dead after Sri Lankan navy allegedly opened fire at him while the fishermen were fishing in Palk Straits on Monday evening.

The dead body of the 22-year-old has reached Rameswaram and is being taken to Rameswaram Government Hospital.

On Monday, around 400 fishing trawlers ventured for fishing from Rameswaram fishing jetty.

Around 10 pm, the fishermen at Rameswaram received information that there was a firing at sea creating panic among the fishing community. "One of our fishermen, Britso, (22) from Thangachimadam has died in the firing and our fishermen are returning back to shore", said fishermen leader, S Emerit from Rameswaram.

Two more fishermen said to have suffered injuries in the firing by the Sri Lankan navy.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...d-by-sri-lankan-navy/articleshow/57502654.cms

Government expresses concern to Sri Lanka over Tamil Nadu fisherman's killing

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...u-fishermans-killing/articleshow/57509680.cms

Last edited:
Indian Coast Guard has to give an befitting response to SL Navy. What gives it power to attack fishermen from their vessels? India has to give warnings and ensure those behind it are punished. This is peacetime for God's sake.
illiterate noob's...Just check the video of their fat naval chief dadagiri
height of unprofessionalism from the top...One can only wonder the type of teaching the lower ranks are getting

illiterate noob's...Just check the video of their fat naval chief dadagiri
height of unprofessionalism from the top...One can only wonder the type of teaching the lower ranks are getting

Professionalism aside, even when Pakistan is not killing our fishermen what right does SL have unless attacked? They are civilians. I hope the central govt is listening.

And where is indian navy in all this when a puny navy was doing this ?
I dont get to read even indian and pakistani navies doing this to each other.

Time to arm the Tamil Tigers, Ravaan's Navsena seems to be getting to bold.

Professionalism aside, even when Pakistan is not killing our fishermen what right does SL have unless attacked? They are civilians. I hope the central govt is listening.
It's not about rights.
Pakistan has a professional navy who knows these are poor fishermen just trying to earn a living. Killing them will cause unnecessary suffering.

On the other hand India did try to create drama by firing at a Pakistani trawler off the coast of Gujrat and killing and the fishermen, then burning the boat.

So I should say "Karma ".

Very very sad incident forces around the world should respect civilians no matter which countries citizen they are

It's not about rights.
Pakistan has a professional navy who knows these are poor fishermen just trying to earn a living. Killing them will cause unnecessary suffering.

On the other hand India did try to create drama by firing at a Pakistani trawler off the coast of Gujrat and killing and the fishermen, then burning the boat.

Good you believe in karma now next step is to find out for which acts done in the past ,Pakistan is paying the price.

Coast guard should be sent along the fishermen next time .
one of my friends cousin is from rameshwaram and his boat was destroyed by SL navy couple of years ago and this guy swam more than 20 km to reach rameshwaram and he was 19 then .

In her address to the National Development Council on October 22, 2011, Chief Minister Jayalalithaa again brought India's discriminatory treatment of Tamilnadu fishermen. She said, “Even attacks on fishermen belonging to Tamil Nadu in the Palk Bay by Sri Lanka are not looked upon as acts of aggression against India. This issue is merely looked upon as a minor problem concerning Tamil Nadu alone. The Centre seems to think that the lives of fishermen belonging to Tamil Nadu are worthless and do not call for any potent action.” (The Hindu (online edition); October 22, 2011)

It's not about rights.

India and Pakistan is a contested border. Generally when fishermen's are found crossing the border they are given warning shots after which they surrender. If they are too near Maritime Boundary sometimes even just inside the Indian line they are let off. However when they run, it is different ball game.

Remember 26/11 and how they attacked Mumbai? From Karachi harbour? We wont take chances and there is absolute 0 proof they were innocent.

Speaking of Karma, I suppose Pakistan has, had enough experience of the monsters it created.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom