What's new

Indian Army to add 1 lakh men on China border

Jon Snow

Reaction score
Indian Army to add 1 lakh men on China border

New Delhi: The Indian Army's proposal for a Mountain Strike Corps to add depth to its defence in Arunachal Pradesh is expected to reach the Cabinet Committee on Security soon, sources said on Wednesday. The new Corps will add one lakh men to the existing force structure and cost more than Rs 60,000 crore.
Once passed by the committee, its budgetary clearance is likely to be done next April when the 12th Plan allocations are made.
But the Army's hopes for a division of at least 10,000 men in Ladakh is likely to meet with disappointment. Sources told CNN-IBN that it may only get an infantry brigade of around 5,000 men.
They added that no increase is expected in artillery numbers with new acquisitions derailed by various investigations.
However, plans to increase the number of tank regiments in Ladakh are underway and the under-construction Nyoma airfield will greatly improve mobility and logistics. At some point the Air Force will station its top-of-the-line fighters in Nyoma.
Army Commander Lt Gen Ravi Dastane said, "Roads give me mobility, new military stations, habitat for my troops, training areas. I think nothing can be more important and that we should focus on that. We need to train our personnel."
Meanwhile Minister of State, Defence, Pallam Raju has downplayed the threat from China, saying, "I don't think we need to be particularly alarmed about the China border. As per the security threat assessment, we are taking adequate measures."

Indian Army to add 1 lakh men on China border - India News - IBNLive

Back
Top Bottom