What's new

Indian Airliner Crashes.

Windjammer

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Just heard on ARY News that an Indian Airlines Boeing 737 flight from Dubai crashed while landing at Bangalore Airport.
There are reports of over 150 casualties while 8 people survived the crash.
RIP to the deceased.

RIP, it is all over the news. It was due to the landing track which is a bit off.

R.I.P those who died in this crash.

Hope that blame not goes to Pakistan.

Last edited:
Indian plane crashes, killing 158; 8 survive

NEW DELHI -- An Air India Express plane overshot a table-top runway in southern India and tumbled off a cliff into a heavily wooded hilly area, killing 158 people, officials said.

The Boeing 727 from Dubai was carrying 160 passengers and six crew members when it crashed outside the city of Mangalore at 6:30 a.m. It then caught fire, hampering immediate rescue attempts from people in the neighboring village of Manapur.

Eight passengers were rescued and taken to local hospitals for treatment, Air India director Anup Srivastava said in a statement. "We are setting up helplines and contacting relatives and making arrangements for all possible rescue teams," he said.

Television images showed charred bodies being pulled out of the wreckage as firefighters worked to douse the flames. In one case, a child's limp, burned body was extricated from the smoldering plane by a policeman, who carried the child up a hill as other rescuers offered to pull him up.

"It all happened in just a few seconds," one survivor, Abdul Totuttur, said by telephone from the K.S. Hegde Hospital. "By the grace of Allah, I have survived. Fortunately I was on a window seat, 19 A of the flight."

Totuttur is a manager of a sporting goods shop in Dubai and was returning home to visit family for a 10-day break. He described his escape: "The right wing was on the ground, but the left wing of the plane was up in the air. Then I saw the plane break into two in the middle. I had very little time. But I jumped out, about eight feet. I had two other people (with me) who did the same.

"It was all black," Totuttur said. "I could hear people trapped inside screaming helplessly. I walked on fire for some time. I limped and fell and picked myself up again. When I turned back and looked, there was a loud explosion and smoldering fire."

Totuttur said he walked up a hill, where he encountered rescuers, who gave him water. His brother took him by car to the hospital, where his wife and 2-year-old daughter were waiting.

"I have injuries on my face and my hand," Totuttur said. "Allah has saved me."

Another survivor, Ummar Farooq, 27, spoke in similar tones about his escape. "The plane caught fire and came down in no time," he said by telephone. "I managed to open the emergency door and escaped. I don't know how I did it. Allah unlocked it for me."

Farooq, whose face and hands were burned as he escaped through fire, was brought to a nearby hospital in an auto rickshaw.

A young survivor told television reporters that he and some other survivors were taken to the hospital by motorcycle. "The plane landed, (it) sounded like the pilot tried to take off (again), and (it) crashed into the jungle," he said.

Sadananda Gowda, a member of Parliament from the area, told TV reporters that the plane overshot the runway by more than 300 yards and "automatically the pilot tried to take off ... again. The left wing of the plane crashed into the radar pole."

The pilot "did not have enough space to stop the aircraft" when he overshot the runway, said Janardhan Swamy, a lawmaker from Karnataka state. "There was no time for even sending distress signals to the command center." Swamy added that "rescue operations are over. It is mostly recovery going on now."

Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh announced that about $4,000 would be paid to the families of those killed as immediate relief.

Jagan Nath, the Mangalore district health officer, said bodies of victims were transported to the morgue, where relatives and friends of passengers gathered. "They are crying. Things are very bad," he said.

Srivastava, the Air India director, said the aircraft "was definitely airworthy." Indian television reported that the pilot of Air India Express 812 had not advised air-traffic controllers of any mechanical issues before the crash.

A senior captain of Air India who regularly flies the Mangalore route said the runway was lengthened to about 8,000 feet from about 5,300 feet about three years ago.

"It is a safe airfield now," he said by telephone from Mumbai. "One edge of the runway is a steep drop. But we operate large aircraft there. It is adequate. ... This is hilly terrain. Within eight miles northeast of the runway, there are hills that are 6,000 feet high."

Rohit Rao, 41, a resident of Mangalore who did contracting work at the airport a year ago, was able to get near the crash site.

"There were 8 people on board, whom I knew," he said by cellphone from there. "All of them have died. My brother's friend was traveling with his wife and child. They are gone. My local banker whom I know very well, his wife and child are gone. My school classmate's husband and mother died. I am dreading bad news every time my cellphone rings now. I don't know how many more people I will find out about.

"I can see where it has crashed. I see the cliff from where it dropped," Rao said, adding that the tail of the plane was visible. "It is obvious that the pilot has overshot badly. The plane has plowed through the trees."

Saturday's crash may rank as the country's deadliest aircraft disaster since 1996, when 349 people died after Saudi and Kazakh passenger planes collided in midair above north India.

This is a very sad story. May the deceased rest in peace.

Already in mourning, this man lost 16 relatives in the Air India crash
For 24-year-old Saudi-based businessman Sameer A Shaikh going to attend the last rites of his grandmother, the Mangalore plane crash was a double blow as he lost 16 relatives in it.

All of them, like Sameer, were going to Mangalore for the last rites of his grandmother, who died on Friday.

"I flew into Mumbai from Saudi Arabia yesterday and was scheduled to catch a Jet Airways flight to Mangalore this morning as I could not get a connecting flight from there," he said.

Distraught over the tragedy that struck the family, Sameer said his maternal uncle, his wife and two children, besides 12 distant relatives were among those killed when Air India Express flight from Dubai crashed near Mangalore airport.

"I have been waiting here since morning and there is nobody to inform me about when the flight will depart. Several other overtaxed people who look as if they just ran the marathon are waiting like me for information about the flight to Mangalore, but there is no one to give us the correct information," he said.

Just heard on ARY News that an Indian Airlines Boeing 737 flight from Dubai crashed while landing at Bangalore Airport.
There are reports of over 150 casualties while 8 people survived the crash.
RIP to the deceased.
Correction it crashed at Mangalore

R.I.P those who died in this crash.

Hope that blame not goes to Pakistan.

Unnecessary.. keep the joke with yourself you can use it when some thing bad happens in your country ..

RIP to tthose who died

Do you need to make stupid statements even in this thread......Pathetic

Indians,

Cool Down.
Try to read what I wrote in my first line.
And what I wrote in my 2nd line is what actually realty pr today from you Indians against Pakistani`s & Pakistan.

EDIT: Just wait a little more, and who knows that about some days or maybe soon you have a "BREAKING NEWS" on HUGE INDIAN MEDIA that there was some Pakistani behind this crash. (Because what ever happen in India then blame goes to Pakistan as usual!!!

Indians,

Cool Down.
Try to read what I wrote in my first line.
And what I wrote in my 2nd line is what actually realty pr today from you Indians against Pakistani`s & Pakistan.

EDIT: Just wait a little more, and who knows that about some days or maybe soon you have a "BREAKING NEWS" on HUGE INDIAN MEDIA that there was some Pakistani behind this crash. (Because what ever happen in India then blame goes to Pakistan as usual!!!
A pathetic comment and a more pathetic reply

RIP for all those who couldn't survive the crash.

My friend's neighbor, lost his two brothers, their wifes and children in this crash. Its sad.

Back
Top Bottom