What's new

Indian Air Force Will Withdraw More Than 150 MiG-21 Fighters from Service Over Next 2

duhastmish

Reaction score
Indian Air Force Will Withdraw More Than 150 MiG-21 Fighters from Service Over Next 2 Years

Indian Air Force Will Withdraw More Than 150 MiG-21 Fighters from Service Over Next 2 Years

The Indian air force finally is parting company with its MiG-21 fighters that serviced as their primary strike force for decades, ARMS-TASS reports.

The plan for removing the MiGs from the inventory should take 2 years. During this period, more than 150 aircraft in all will be withdrawn from air force service incrementally. At the same time, they will continue to use the upgraded MiG-21 "Bizon" ((bison)) version until 2017 - 2018.

Write-off of the MiGs will lead to a decrease of the number of active Indian air force squadrons from the present 35 to approximately 28. During the period from the beginning of the 1960s, the Indian fleet of this brand of fighters was more than 700 aircraft in all. Half the total number of flying hours in particular were shared by them out of the country's overall military aviation combined, the agency reports.

Source: 29.06.09, Avia.RU

Thank god....150 brave sons of india saved!......good move,we are not going to war anytime soom,and the lca blk1 wd also be deployed from next year

a welcome move - i think its a there for callign anytime. Lots of lives are saved and i hope this will also put some pressure on MRCA deciders to make it quicker and introduce some lca in IAF.

Thank god....150 brave sons of india saved!......good move,we are not going to war anytime soom,and the lca blk1 wd also be deployed from next year

less than 150 are saved , as iaf will withdraw in 2 years not from today

I hear they will be dismantled and given to colleges, R&D institutions, schools and parks.

Can any one confirm this?

just wondering, f-7 which is a copy of mig21 does'nt have that much ratio of accidents are mig21 with india has. and i believe pakistan have enough quantity of f-7
is there any way india could upgrade those migs instead of write them off as 150 is a huge number.

just wondering, f-7 which is a copy of mig21 does'nt have that much ratio of accidents are mig21 with india has. and i believe pakistan have enough quantity of f-7
is there any way india could upgrade those migs instead of write them off as 150 is a huge number.

The IAF MiG 21 was upgraded to Mig 21 bison
MiG-21 Bison
Upgraded version for export and Indian Air Force is the first customer. Armed with Phazotron Kopyo (Spear) airborne radar, which is capable of simultaneously tracking 8 targets and engage 2 of the 8 target tracked with semi-active radar homing air-to-air missile such as Vympel R-27. The radar also enable to fighter to deploy active radar homing air-to-air missile such as Vympel R-77 when additional channel is incorporated. Russian advertise has claimed that this version is equivalent to early F-16. It performed well against F-15 and F-16s of the USAF during Indo-US joint air exercises.
Enough has been extracted from MiG's. Let them rest mow

Thank God. better late than never but i think we were too late...

God does exist!!!

Finally, I think I am gonna cry a little.

Back
Top Bottom