What's new

Indian Air Force News & Discussions

Indian Air Force not keen on getting an extra 40 Su-30MKI fighters
By
Dario Leone
-
Jun 14 2018

Actually half of the service fighter fleet is made up of the aircraft and the Su-30MKI is expensive to maintain
The Indian Air Force (IAF) is not keen to buying an extra 40 Su-30MKI fighters. Actually half of the service fighter fleet is made up of the aircraft and the Sukhoi fighter is expensive to maintain.

India’s Mail Today in fact was told by government sources that “The Russians along with the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), which assembles the planes in India, have offered to sell 40 more of these planes to the Air Force but the Air Force does not seem to be very keen on acquiring them due to the heavy cost of maintenance which makes them very expensive to manage in the long run.”

The IAF has been undergoing a modernization program to replace and upgrade its aging fighter fleet since the late 1990s. On Jan. 3, 2017, Minister of Defence Manohar Parrikar claimed that IAF is in need of “200 new single engine fighters to be made in India, which will easily cost around (USD)$45 million apiece without weaponry.”

Two companies replied to IAF request for information (RFI) for a new single-engine fighter.

This print is available in multiple sizes from AircraftProfilePrints.com – CLICK HERE TO GET YOURS. F/A-18F Super Hornet VFA-11 Red Rippers, AB101 / 166634 / 2015
Swedish planemaker SAAB announced its intention to partner with Adani Group to build the Gripen E fighter jet in India. Lockheed Martin and Tata Group instead signed an agreement to manufacture the F-16 in India. Another Lockheed Martin proposal it to build the F-35 fifth generation stealth fighter jet in India. Noteworthy manufacturing the Lightning II in the country would give the Indian industry the chance to become part of the world’s largest fighter aircraft ecosystem.

However on Feb. 23, 2018 The Times of India reported that the country opened the tender up to twin-engine designs.

In consideration of this change, the American F/A-18 Super Hornet, the Russian MiG-35 and the European Rafale (36 of which have already been ordered by IAF) and Eurofighter Typhoon fighters along with the combat planes already listed above are considered to be the serious contenders in the new IAF project for which a request for proposal (RFP) is likely to be issued by the defence ministry before the end of this year.

Photo credit: Senior Airman Larry E. Reid Jr. / U.S. Air Force and Saab

Artwork courtesy of AircraftProfilePrints.com

66399199_153336082392666_7604197021120653888_n.jpg

To all the IAF enthusiasts and experts,
At this stage, which fighter jet is India most likely to choose for the 110 fighter jet tender ?

Rafale F.4 or F/A18SH
Also, the 110 will be clubbed with the Navy's requirement.

If my info is correct... Rafale is a done deal... only 3 issues are holding the process...
1. MoD want ToT at dirt cheap price... so more negotiation
2. Unprecedented offer by EF consortium (financially and technically)... a card in hand for negotiating with france
3. someone does not want Reliance as Indian manufacturer... unbelievable

Both are ready to shift the production line to India... Partnership in TEMPEST and ENGA too...
EF -Naval... biggest negative...

USA is also arm twisting India to opt for US jet... specially after S400...

But now a days I don't believe in any leaked info... Modi G is UNPREDICTABLE and surreptitious... :)

If my info is correct... Rafale is a done deal... only 3 issues are holding the process...
1. MoD want ToT at dirt cheap price... so more negotiation
2. Unprecedented offer by EF consortium (financially and technically)... a card in hand for negotiating with france
3. someone does not want Reliance as Indian manufacturer... unbelievable

Both are ready to shift the production line to India... Partnership in TEMPEST and ENGA too...
EF -Naval... biggest negative...

USA is also arm twisting India to opt for US jet... specially after S400...

But now a days I don't believe in any leaked info... Modi G is UNPREDICTABLE and surreptitious... :)
Everyone knew that rafale would be the best option if you remove the price factor there no one expected such a development. All the news and rumour coming out speculates for a huge rafale fleet. Its a really wise decision and surprising bcoz we arent known for making those.
If it goes through, we would have some homogeneity in our frontline fighters which is really important.
Rest we all know how goof rafale is.
Btw Reliance should be out, either big brother take it or Mahindra or Tata. Dont think of HAL

To all the IAF enthusiasts and experts,

At this stage, which fighter jet is India most likely to choose for the 110 fighter jet tender ?
Considering the amount of money India wants to spend and number of fighter jet India wants to buy, I will go with either F-21 under Make in India deal. I will ruled out Eurofighter Typhoon, Mig-35, Rafale and Super Hornet. Gripen is a dark horse. Can't confirm nor I deny.

Why?
Here is an Analysis
https://exoatmospheric.wordpress.com/2019/08/01/lockheed-martin-f-21-meet-make-in-india-fighter-jet/

Considering the amount of money India wants to spend and number of fighter jet India wants to buy, I will go with either F-21 under Make in India deal. I will ruled out Eurofighter Typhoon, Mig-35, Rafale and Super Hornet. Gripen is a dark horse. Can't confirm nor I deny.

Why?
Here is an Analysis
https://exoatmospheric.wordpress.com/2019/08/01/lockheed-martin-f-21-meet-make-in-india-fighter-jet/

Pakistanis being perfectionists at flying F-16s kind of rules of F-21 in my opinion. If there is going to be an American fighter it will be the Super Hornet, I think.

But, as someone above said, this government is very unpredictable. Whatever they choose, I just hope they make it quick. We can't afford anymore delays.

Pakistanis being perfectionists at flying F-16s kind of rules of F-21 in my opinion. If there is going to be an American fighter it will be the Super Hornet, I think.

But, as someone above said, this government is very unpredictable. Whatever they choose, I just hope they make it quick. We can't afford anymore delays.

I'm guessing Indian Navy will go F/A-18 E/F Super Hornet with EA-18 Growler. Indian Air Force may go with F-21. F-21 is NOT F-16V. F-21 will have 14 Indian modifications that will make it unique for India.
India dealt with Russia for 50 years but Russia never invited India into the supply chain of Sukhoi or MiG but American offers comes with participation of global supply chain ecosystems of Boeing and Lockheed Martin.

Unpredictable... but government to government deal... for sure...
The way France ditched the kaveri (by quoting exaggerated price)... MAY play a role in decision though...

I'm guessing Indian Navy will go F/A-18 E/F Super Hornet with EA-18 Growler. Indian Air Force may go with F-21. F-21 is NOT F-16V. F-21 will have 14 Indian modifications that will make it unique for India.
India dealt with Russia for 50 years but Russia never invited India into the supply chain of Sukhoi or MiG but American offers comes with participation of global supply chain ecosystems of Boeing and Lockheed Martin.

Well... the problem with US is that their equipment are PRONE TO SANCTIONS... look at TURKEY - F 35 saga...
but as of now deliveries are on time and without PRICE ESCALATION...

USA need at least 50+ years to earn the trust which India has on RUSSIA... as a nation and as nationals...

Well I have to disagree with you on Turkey. First Turkey is a NATO member, India isn't. There are written rules in NATO and unwritten norm. Turkey violated both rules. Hence the slap on the face. America built Turkish defense industry and allowed them access to classified, top secret programs but they have choosen S-400 over billions of dollars of work order for F-35. America did right thing by F-35 program.

EXACTLY... that is the point... USA will find A REASON to impose BAN...
Indo-Russian ties are deep rooted and time tested... no embargo... even after NUKE test...

Turkish president is a Douchebag and religious fanatic.

Some people say same thing for Mr.. Trump... but he is an ELECTED PRESIDENT and doing his best (he thinks) for US and its fellows...
People of Turkey are electing him... democratically...

That's the main issue here. currently, India placed $9B work order to American defense companies. It will grow by the day and India will receive Technology from America. Mind you C-130 and Apache airframes are manufactured in India. America offered ToT of Supper Hornet and F-21.

I will agree with you on access to advance technology... ToT is INDIAN REQUIREMENT for procuring any jet in MMRCA... and USA is offering it just like OTHER COMPETITORS...

If India stick to America, India will gain more than anyone in the region. Don't compare Turkish Erdogan idiot with intelligent Modi.

If India stick to America... CASE CLOSED...

EXACTLY... that is the point... USA will find A REASON to impose BAN...
Indo-Russian ties are deep rooted and time tested... no embargo... even after NUKE test...

Some people say same thing for Mr.. Trump... but he is an ELECTED PRESIDENT and doing his best (he thinks) for US and its fellows...
People of Turkey are electing him... democratically...

I will agree with you on access to advance technology... ToT is INDIAN REQUIREMENT for procuring any jet in MMRCA... and USA is offering it just like OTHER COMPETITORS...

If India stick to America... CASE CLOSED...
What options do you have? Why did you send MiG-21 to fight F-16?
Do you know the service availability of Russian junk Su-30MKI is 45% and American/European is above 80%. Did you read IAF Chief said few days ago. Quote from him, "Indian Air Force must be ready to adopt with advanced technology". He spoke about transforming Air Force.
Your Russian junk is out for now. Indian Air Force will select either Rafale or Gripen or F-21 for MMRCA 2.0. It's a done deal. Don't cry for Russian fighter jet. IAF just rejected additional Su-30MKI offer from HAL. Accept the reality, you will sleep well at night.
Moreover Indian Navy is talking to Boeing to manufacture Super Hornet in India.

American and French are very good at lobbying. Adani, TASL, Reliance and Mahindra will only work with American, Swedish and French. Indian Navy is talking to BAE Systems for an Aircraft Carrier made in India.
Maybe your Army will stick to Ruski for few more years and they will dump Russia too.
Case is just opened not closed.
Here is what IAF chief may want to see in Indian camouflage.

Last edited:
What options do you have? Why did you send MiG-21 to fight F-16?

Because SCAMGRESS was busy to ensure that the biggest beneficiary from MMRCA deal is the Nehru Family... and its gang... They WASTED 10 years in NEGOTIATIONS...

Do you know the service availability of Russian junk Su-30MKI is 45% and American/European is above 80%. Did you read IAF Chief said few days ago. Quote from him, "Indian Air Force must be ready to adopt with advanced technology". He spoke about transforming Air Force.
Your Russian junk is out for now. Indian Air Force will select either Rafale or Gripen or F-21 for MMRCA 2.0. It's a done deal. Don't cry for Russian fighter jet. IAF just rejected additional Su-30MKI offer from HAL. Accept the reality, you will sleep well at night.
Moreover Indian Navy is talking to Boeing to manufacture Super Hornet in India.

American and French are very good at lobbying. Adani, TASL, Reliance and Mahindra will only work with American, Swedish and French. Indian Navy is talking to BAE Systems for an Aircraft Carrier made in India.
Maybe your Army will stick to Ruski for few more years and they will dump Russia too.
Case is just opened not closed.
Here is what IAF chief may want to see in Indian camouflage.

First of all you will not find a single post of mine stating that we should go for MKI, SU 35 or MiG 35... For MMRCA...
Based on the Mirage-2000 experience... IAF is heavily backing Rafale... and will get it... 110 + 36...
US will get 56 F-18 order... for Naval variants... and If my source is correct... Growler is also under consideration... US will get F-18 order for sure (NAVAL ONLY)... reason...
1. To balance s-400 deal
2. To keep co-operation level upwards

Yes... it could be F-18 for Navy... 56+
Rafale for IAF... 110+36...
Both parties are happy... Including Russia... S-400...
Britain can also pitch... Elizabeth class carrier...
https://nationalinterest.org/blog/b...india-new-queen-elizabeth-class-carrier-53397

China is Pakistan's friend and we should not expect TOO MUCH from them... other then investments in various sectors...
https://www.forbes.com/sites/suparn...a-despite-bilateral-differences/#4cfbbc921dac

Ohh... P5 is settled...

India Says Russia's Missiles Don't Work (And Wants to Buy Israeli Ones Instead)
Tuesday, July 16, 2019
By: National Interest

• 5_img116719202755.jpg
  • 5_img116719202755.jpg
  • 5_img116719202755.jpg

India is now looking to Israel, from whom it has purchased numerous weapons, such as the Heron drone and the Derby, a radar-guided, beyond-visual-range air-to-air missile with a range of 50 kilometers (31 miles).

After losing one of its fighters to Pakistani jets armed with American-made missiles, India is not happy with its Russian-made missiles.

In fact, it wants to replace its Russian air-to-air missiles with Israeli weapons, according to Indian news site NDTV.

“In two years from now, the Indian Air Force's frontline Sukhoi-30 fighters may be re-armed with Israeli Derby air-to-air missiles after the jet's Russian-made R-77 missiles were found wanting in air combat operations over the Line of Control on February 27 this year,” NDTV said.

During air battles along the Kashmir border on February 26 and 27, an Indian Air Force (IAF) MiG-21 was shot down, apparently by a U.S.-made AIM-120 AMRAAM (Advanced Medium-Range Air-to-Air Missile) fired by one of Pakistan Air Force’s (PAF) American-built F-16 fighters. India claims to have downed a Pakistani fighter – which Pakistan denies – but India was still embarrassed by the capture of its MiG-21 pilot, who was shown on Pakistani television and later returned.

What troubles the Indian Air Force was that Pakistan was able to destroy an Indian jet from long range. “Among the Indian Air Force's fighters which were targeted were two Sukhoi-30s which managed to evade the AMRAAMs which were fired at close to their maximum range of 100 kilometers [62 miles],” according to NDTV. “Fully defensive and desperate to escape the incoming AMRAAMs, the IAF Sukhoi-30s escaped being shot down but were unable to retaliate the F-16s because they were out of position and their own missiles, the Russian R-77s, did not have the range to realistically engage the Pakistani fighters. IAF sources told NDTV that the Russian missiles do not match its advertised range and cannot engage targets which are more than 80 kilometers [50 miles] away.”

The early-model AIM-120A/B has a range of up to 75 kilometers (46 miles). But in 2010, Pakistan received a batch of the AIM-120C-5, with a range of 100 kilometers (62 miles). The most advanced AIM-120D has an estimated range of up to 160 kilometers (100 miles).

“The PAF surprised the IAF by launching air-to-air missiles from inside Azad Kashmir,” said Sameer Joshi, a former Indian Air Force fighter pilot. “The AMRAAM effectively outranged the IAF air-to-air missiles which did not get a command to launch.”

India is now looking to Israel, from whom it has purchased numerous weapons, such as the Heron drone and the Derby, a radar-guided, beyond-visual-range air-to-air missile with a range of 50 kilometers (31 miles). To counter AMRAAM-armed Pakistani F-16s, the IAF is looking at the improved I-Derby, which features a more radar seeker and – most importantly – a 100-kilometer (62 mile) range.

But that raises another problem: how to integrate an Israeli missile into a Russian airframe (and an ironic problem, given how much Russian-built planes have been destroyed by Israeli missiles). “Integrating the missile into the Russian fighter will be a challenge and, according to sources, will require Israeli expertise, particularly in developing a data-link between the Sukhoi-30 and the missile, once it is fired,” according to NDTV. “A fighter jet communicates with the missile through the data link and passes on updated vectors (location) of the fighter which has been targeted.”

Strangely, while disparaging Russian missiles and buying Israeli ones, the Indian Air Force is reportedly ordering yet more Russian weapons. Moscow is offering medium- and long-range versions of the underperforming R-77

India Says Russia's Missiles Don't Work (And Wants to Buy Israeli Ones Instead)
Tuesday, July 16, 2019
By: National Interest

• 5_img116719202755.jpg
  • 5_img116719202755.jpg
  • 5_img116719202755.jpg

India is now looking to Israel, from whom it has purchased numerous weapons, such as the Heron drone and the Derby, a radar-guided, beyond-visual-range air-to-air missile with a range of 50 kilometers (31 miles).

After losing one of its fighters to Pakistani jets armed with American-made missiles, India is not happy with its Russian-made missiles.

In fact, it wants to replace its Russian air-to-air missiles with Israeli weapons, according to Indian news site NDTV.

“In two years from now, the Indian Air Force's frontline Sukhoi-30 fighters may be re-armed with Israeli Derby air-to-air missiles after the jet's Russian-made R-77 missiles were found wanting in air combat operations over the Line of Control on February 27 this year,” NDTV said.

During air battles along the Kashmir border on February 26 and 27, an Indian Air Force (IAF) MiG-21 was shot down, apparently by a U.S.-made AIM-120 AMRAAM (Advanced Medium-Range Air-to-Air Missile) fired by one of Pakistan Air Force’s (PAF) American-built F-16 fighters. India claims to have downed a Pakistani fighter – which Pakistan denies – but India was still embarrassed by the capture of its MiG-21 pilot, who was shown on Pakistani television and later returned.

What troubles the Indian Air Force was that Pakistan was able to destroy an Indian jet from long range. “Among the Indian Air Force's fighters which were targeted were two Sukhoi-30s which managed to evade the AMRAAMs which were fired at close to their maximum range of 100 kilometers [62 miles],” according to NDTV. “Fully defensive and desperate to escape the incoming AMRAAMs, the IAF Sukhoi-30s escaped being shot down but were unable to retaliate the F-16s because they were out of position and their own missiles, the Russian R-77s, did not have the range to realistically engage the Pakistani fighters. IAF sources told NDTV that the Russian missiles do not match its advertised range and cannot engage targets which are more than 80 kilometers [50 miles] away.”

The early-model AIM-120A/B has a range of up to 75 kilometers (46 miles). But in 2010, Pakistan received a batch of the AIM-120C-5, with a range of 100 kilometers (62 miles). The most advanced AIM-120D has an estimated range of up to 160 kilometers (100 miles).

“The PAF surprised the IAF by launching air-to-air missiles from inside Azad Kashmir,” said Sameer Joshi, a former Indian Air Force fighter pilot. “The AMRAAM effectively outranged the IAF air-to-air missiles which did not get a command to launch.”

India is now looking to Israel, from whom it has purchased numerous weapons, such as the Heron drone and the Derby, a radar-guided, beyond-visual-range air-to-air missile with a range of 50 kilometers (31 miles). To counter AMRAAM-armed Pakistani F-16s, the IAF is looking at the improved I-Derby, which features a more radar seeker and – most importantly – a 100-kilometer (62 mile) range.

But that raises another problem: how to integrate an Israeli missile into a Russian airframe (and an ironic problem, given how much Russian-built planes have been destroyed by Israeli missiles). “Integrating the missile into the Russian fighter will be a challenge and, according to sources, will require Israeli expertise, particularly in developing a data-link between the Sukhoi-30 and the missile, once it is fired,” according to NDTV. “A fighter jet communicates with the missile through the data link and passes on updated vectors (location) of the fighter which has been targeted.”

Strangely, while disparaging Russian missiles and buying Israeli ones, the Indian Air Force is reportedly ordering yet more Russian weapons. Moscow is offering medium- and long-range versions of the underperforming R-77

Valid points raised.

pibimage.jpg

06-September, 2019 18:15 IST
Western Air Command Commanders' Conference

The Western Air Command, Commanders' Conference was held on 05 and 06 Sep 2019 at New Delhi. Air Officers Commanding/ Station Commanders of all Air Force Stations under Western Air Command attended the conference. The Chief Guest, Air Chief Marshal BS Dhanoa PVSM AVSM YSM VM ADC, Chief of Air Staff was received by Air Marshal Raghunath Nambiar PVSM AVSM VM & Bar ADC, Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief of Western Air Command. On arrival, the CAS was presented a Ceremonial Guard of Honour.

Addressing the Commanders, the CAS emphasised on the need to maintain a very high level of operational orientation and preparedness. He reiterated the need for development and upkeep of operational infrastructure and continuous orientation of human resources, so as to absorb induction of new technologies for a smooth transition of the IAF into a potent Aerospace Power. The CAS reminded them regardinG the importance and pivotal role of Western Air Command in all future conflicts and aid to Civil Power. He appreciated the rapid response and professionalism of the Command in the successful Surgical Operations. He also appreciated the aerospace safety record of WAC and urged the Commanders to continue in their earnest efforts towards a safe operational environment.

He exhorted the Commanders to revise their operational plans and training in consonance with the lessons learnt during various exercises and recent operations. The CAS made a special mention of the to maintain very high level of vigil and preparedness to ensure ground defence of our air bases in the backdrop of the existing security scenario.

During the conference, the reviews and discussions were focused on critical analysis of our operational preparedness and training including measures to enhance high serviceability of our combat assets.

The CAS was accompanied by Mrs Kamalpreet Dhanoa, President Air Force Wives Welfare Association (AFWWA), who was received by Mrs Luxmi Nambiar, President AFWWA (Regional). Mrs Kamalpreet Dhanoa presided over the Board of Management Meeting of AFWWA (Regional) and reviewed the various welfare activities undertaken by Local AFWWA Units of Western Air Command.

The Chairman Chiefs of Staff Committee and Chief of the Air Staff, Air Chief Marshal B.S. Dhanoa flagging off the Kargil to Kohima Ultra Marathon – “Glory Run” by handing over the ‘Glory Torch’ to the team leader Squadron Leader, Suresh Razdan, in New Delhi on September 06, 2019.
T2019090674509.JPG

The Deputy Chief of the Air Staff, Air Marshal V.R. Chaudhari with winners of the Final match of Junior Girls (U-17) category of Diamond Jubilee edition of Subroto Cup International Football Tournament 2019, at Dr. Ambedkar Stadium, in New Delhi on September 06, 2019.
T2019090674522.JPG

Back
Top Bottom