What's new

India without aircraft carrier as China takes huge strides

Mitro

Reaction score
Country
India
NEW DELHI: India may fancy itself as a regional superpower but does not have an aircraft carrier prowling on the high seas. Its solitary carrier, the 54-year-old INS Viraat, is out of action for several months once again for a major refit to ensure it can soldier on for another three to four years.

Despite the Indian Ocean having emerged as the new strategic theatre between India and China, the Indian politico-military establishment's lack of long-term planning and timely decision-making has all but dashed the Navy's long-standing ambition to deploy two potent carrier battle groups (CBGs).

China, in contrast, is taking huge strides in the arena. After last year's commissioning of its first carrier, the 65,000-tonne Liaoning, Beijing is furiously engaged in building more to further expand its "blue-water operations''.

If China sees aircraft carriers as "symbols of a great nation'', the US has realized their role in projecting power around the globe for long. As part of its pivot towards Asia-Pacific, at least six of the 11 American CBGs will be deployed in the region. Incidentally, each US carrier is over 94,000 tonne and capable of handling 80-90 fighters.

But the Indian Navy is continuing to flog an old warhorse because of huge delays in other carrier projects. One, Russia will deliver INS Vikramaditya, or the 44,570-tonne Admiral Gorshkov refurbished for $2.33 billion, only by December at the earliest, a good two decades after India first showed interest in it.

Two, Navy will not get its hands on the 40,000-tonne indigenous aircraft carrier (IAC) being built at Cochin Shipyard anytime before 2018. The follow-on 65,000-tonne IAC-II still remains a mere pipedream.

Sources say the 28,000-tonne INS Viraat, the second-hand HMS Hermes inducted by India in May 1987, is currently undergoing "a normal refit'' that takes at least eight to nine months. In the first phase at the Kochi dockyard, the 13-storey high warship is undergoing "hull and other underwater work''. Next in Mumbai, the ship will get its boilers, propulsions and other technical parts overhauled.

"The plan was to operate INS Viraat, whose keel was laid in 1944, for only 10 years after 1987. But fund crunches, protracted negotiation and consequent refit of Gorshkov and huge delays in launching the IAC project has meant INS Viraat has to be kept running,'' said a source.

INS Viraat has undergone a series of refits, with the last major life-extension one being in 2008-2009. With age, it has also lost most of its teeth. The Navy now has only 11 Sea Harrier jump-jets available to operate from its deck, with no replacement of the fighters possible.

The irony is that while INS Viraat has just a few fighters left, India is progressively inducting 45 MiG-29K fighters, ordered from Russia for over $2 billion, meant for INS Vikramaditya though the carrier itself is still awaited. In effect, India will have two effective CBGs only when INS Vikramaditya and IAC can operate together some time after 2018.

India without aircraft carrier as China takes huge strides - The Times of India

Exactly Krait. This is ridiculous. This is why I may sound nuts when I state a mutiny or military take over is good for India in the short term. I don;t see the Indian public grapsing the gravity of the situation while these lame duck politicans fill their pockets. Time to hit them hard and where it counts. That;s why I openly support naxals, they have brunt the worst of the govt's inefficiency. People need to realize unless we jump up and down every freaking day and support the Anna;s and Kiran Bedi's, nothing will change.

That;s why I am willing to support Modi to correct the insititutionalized corruption. There is no other way, so I don;t give a f-k about religious sensitivities.

That's my last hope. But you don't know how these intelligent people of India is actually destroying it over Godhara riots without knowing its reality, without knowing the fact that its the only riot where so many convictions and top leaders have been sent to jail while Communal riots are happening every year in UP, WB, Assam etc.

I am getting sick of these Congress, SP, BSP, TMC etc. But if we don't fight this dynasty, our children will suffer because of this Dynasty and will curse us,

I used to like to read and post about defense subjects and its technical detail but lost the interest because of all these problems.

I think I just started another thread with in the existing thread.. I agree with you but let's not discuss about it further on this thread.. nahin to czar786 bura maan jayega..

@KRAIT we have to move on and forget the past we cannot change it so its better to focus on future for our kids and get rid of these blood sucker Family RAJ poitician and elect somebody good may be MODI .

He will be at least better then congress.

Last edited by a moderator:
@KRAIT we have to move on and forget the past we cannot change it so its better to focus on future for our kids and get rid of these blood sucker Family RAJ poitician and elect somebody good may be MODI . He will be at least better then congress.
Agreed.

I edited my post and deleted one. Let it be technical. We have Indian General Election 2014 thread started by arp2041. :enjoy:

Last edited by a moderator:
We sucks in long term planning and we are too much depended on foreign country for our security.When we can afford Carrier and paying 2.6 billion don't you think we can buy from western country then Russia they will be at least full filling the contract on time.

I think I just started another thread with in the existing thread.. I agree with you but let's not discuss about it further on this thread.. nahin to czar786 bura maan jayega..

Gorshkov is just 24000 tonnes right? Why are they calling it 44000 tonnes?

We sucks in long term planning and we are too much depended on foreign country for our security.When we can afford Carrier and paying 2.6 billion don't you think we can buy from western country then Russia they will be at least full filling the contract on time.

Nobody else was willing to sale something like Aircraft carrier to India.. The only option available for India is Royal Navy's Elizabeth class but again the cost in £2bn plus and there is no guarantee that they will offer it to India.. Anyways India is already making AC so no need to buy it from anyone.. Nobody is attacking India so there is really no rush for an AC at the moment..

We still lack a lot of experience in conducting aircraft carrier operations.

For most of the PRC's history, due to having hostilities with both the superpowers (USA/USSR) we have been forced into a very defensive stance.

Which is why we've only recently started to build aircraft carriers.

We still lack a lot of experience in conducting aircraft carrier operations.

These things takes time but sooner or later you will be there..
But in the meanwhile, I am sure China with it's newly built AC's ain't gonna raid Indian waters!!

We still lack a lot of experience in conducting aircraft carrier operations. For most of the PRC's history, due to having hostilities with both the superpowers (USA/USSR) we have been forced into a very defensive stance.
Which is why we've only recently started to build aircraft carriers.
That capability can be achieved fast. We live in non-linear times. :enjoy:

These things takes time but sooner or later you will be there..
But in the meanwhile, I am sure China with it's newly built AC's ain't gonna raid Indian waters!!

Our problems are in the Pacific and the SCS.

I have no idea why we would try the Indian Ocean when we don't even have a blue water navy.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom