What's new

India, US set to ink $1.4bn deal for 22 Apache helicopters

Alphacharlie

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
NEW DELHI: India is getting ready to order 22 heavy-duty Apache helicopters for around $1.4 billion, in what will be yet another big defence deal to be bagged by the US.

The US has already made military sales worth over $8 billion to India over the last few years, despite it having lost out to France in the almost $20 billion MMRCA (medium multi-role combat aircraft) project to supply 126 fighters to IAF, which is in the final commercial negotiations stage.

In the battle for the attack helicopters, Boeing's AH-64D Apache Longbow met all ASQRs (air staff qualitative requirements) during the extensive field trials conducted by the IAF, while the Russian Mil Moscow Helicopter Plant's Mi-28 Havoc failed to pass muster.

"It's just a matter of time before the contract is inked for the Apaches after final commercial negotiations. Most of the hurdles have been cleared,'' a defence ministry official said. The US and Russia are also locked in battle to supply 15 heavy-lift helicopters to IAF, with the Boeing-manufactured Chinooks pitted against the Russian Mi-26 choppers.

As first reported by TOI earlier, Indian armed forces are looking to induct as many as 900 helicopters in the coming decade, including 384 light-utility and observation, 90 naval multi-role, 65 light combat, 22 heavy-duty attack, 139 medium-lift and 15 heavy-lift, among others, many of them from abroad.

The impending $1.4 billion contract for the 22 Apaches will also include the supply of 812 AGM-114L-3 Hellfire Longbow missiles, 542 AGM-114R-3 Hellfire-II missiles, 245 Stinger Block I-92H missiles and 12 AN/APG-78 fire-control radars, as per the Barack Obama administration's notification to the US Congress.

Among the other military aviation deals already bagged by the US are the $4.1 billion contract for 10 C-17 Globemaster-III strategic airlift aircraft, $2.1 billion for eight P-8I maritime patrol aircraft and $962 million for six C-130J 'Super Hercules'' planes. Negotiations are now being finalized for acquiring six more C-130J as well as four more P-8I aircraft.

US deputy secretary of defence Ashton B Carter, on his recent visit to India, had stressed that Washington wanted to be New Delhi's "highest quality and most trusted long-term supplier of technology''. India had emerged as the second-largest FMS (foreign military sales) customer of the US in 2011 with imports worth $4.5 billion, he added.

India is making a smart purchase on the most proven systems. US frequently delivers existing systems on time or early. I hope India buy more US weapons instead of be getting rip off by russians like the AC deal. Mark my words, Russia will make India bent over 1 more time with the PAKFA deal. India is better off waiting for F-35.

India is making a smart purchase on the most proven systems. US frequently delivers existing systems on time or early. I hope India buy more US weapons instead of be getting rip off by russians like the AC deal. Mark my words, Russia will make India bent over 1 more time with the PAKFA deal. India is better off waiting for F-35.

Well when you order stuff which is in development it is going to take time....F 35 is still going to take sometime to be inducted in many air forces...but we rather be first in the queue for the PAK-FA. US is supplying India with systems like C 130, the C 17 and AH 64 which has a production line running for a decade. But Russians are supplying us with weapons which has to be developed specifically for us and our selection is very stringent.

Russia was,is & will be the biggest friendly country to India. No matter what kind of deals are in the air or off the air? Russia is like elder one to India. US may be worth of friendship or not,only time will tell. So no need to hurry. Wait & watch.

amazing news. Apache.. I am dying to watch those mean machines flying under IAF command.. Though i consider. under heavy lift category. Russian mi-26 would be game changer. Chinook got it's own advantange no doubt but i guess handling and maintenance would be headache for chinook.. Though i am big fan of chinook too

Apache-Warrior.jpg
AH-64D_DVD-1098-2_375x300.jpg

I think the India is building too much power. Does they upgrading the old Mi-26s and will they going to get new Kamov Ka-28s??? Repli

I think the India is building too much power. Does they upgrading the old Mi-26s and will they going to get new Kamov Ka-28s??? Repli

The Mi-26 will be replaced with new CH-47F Chinook (likely winner).

Ka-28 is too obsolete. There are new tenders in the pipeline for replacement choppers,
that includes - AW-101, CH-148 Cyclone, MH-60R, S-70B, NH-90, S-76 versions and
some more are under consideration for various IN helicopter tenders.

Yes upgrades are done periodically... Validation and certification is done from the respective manufacturers while most of the upgrades are done here.

The Mi-26 will be replaced with new CH-47F Chinook (likely winner).

Ka-28 is too obsolete. There are new tenders in the pipeline for replacement choppers,
that includes - AW-101, CH-148 Cyclone, MH-60R, S-70B, NH-90, S-76 versions and
some more are under consideration for various IN helicopter tenders.

dont mind,but Ka-28 ia an AEW platform,not just a chopper.and I think India uses Ka-31 as well..and it is unlikely that these platforms will get replaced soon as there is no helicopter mounted AEW platform present that meets IN's requirement(unless V-22 AEW platform become reality)..India may buy newer platforms to replace older Ka-28/31 platforms.but thats it.they are not replacing Ka-28/31 from its service.

64 million dollars apiece?

How much does an F-15 cost?

What was the original price tag for an F-35?

Indians pay top dollars for expensive toys,with the result that tens of thousands of children will be frozen out of schooling。:azn:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom