What's new

India to spend $3 billion for 3 more Talwar-class frigates

India is getting ripped off big time!

No frigate is worth 1 billion dollars each.

1 billion per frigate, is it not too much to pay? I just need some help understanding.
I was thinking the same! There seems to be something wrong here.

And I wonder why we have given orders for the older Talwar Class frigates and not the latest Shivalik-class which costs only US $480 million per piece? :undecided: That's probably because the Russians have no gen on building the Shivalik class frigates as these were built in India at the Mazagon Docks.

Till date, order has been not given but they are planning..... when they will give order than we will know what are the exact prices of those baby's.....

BUt, Very good news for us...........

Guys, no sub is a replacement for a Frigate or vice-versa.

IN is short of requisite nos. in all departments not just subs.

Earlier Talwar class order was of for Krivak-3 & it costed close to $600 million per Frigate.

Now we are talking about 7 years post that contract & much improved Krivak-4.

As everyone knows that our Shipyards are full & IN seems pretty satisfied with Talwars, so follow-on order was inevitable.

My guess is that the order will not be exactly $3 billion worth but close to it (may be in the range of $2.5- $3 billion).

Lets just wait till the final contract is signed.

In my Openion we should not speculate the price till deal is officially announced.....It seems something wrong here with the price...!!

I had heard somewhere that if India is going for a naval ship which AEGIS tech then its cost will touch 1 billion barrier. Just a guess. BTW it includes all aspects of ship including hardware, after sales service support, weaponry etc. And don't forget Bramhos costs a hell.

^^^ I think Pipavav and L&T are waiting for navy's orders. They are pretty much idle. Maybe something else is going on in name of Krivak-IV class frigates. Probably another Akula..? or, help in Arihanth-II class and SLBMs..?

I was thinking the same! There seems to be something wrong here.

And I wonder why we have given orders for the older Talwar Class frigates and not the latest Shivalik-class which costs only US $480 million per piece? :undecided: That's probably because the Russians have no gen on building the Shivalik class frigates as these were built in India at the Mazagon Docks.

They are already building 7 follow on Shivaliks aka Project 17a. They will apparently cost $750 Million a pop!. With that and the corvettes and kolkata class destroyers, and follow on project 15b, I think Indian shipyards have their plate full.

Follow on Shivaliks (Project 17a)

6th_defence_expo_31990f.jpg

p17aconcept1w1.jpg

In ten years time Indian navy will be kick *** :taz:

Okay, the price was $533 million in 2006, keeping in mind standard cost inflation, advanced stealth feature and VLS Brahmos, the price quote of $1 Billion does makes sense.

India is getting ripped off big time!

No frigate is worth 1 billion dollars each.

The displacement of our Frigates is good enough to pass on as Destroyers in many countries. And for the $1 billion part, do some search on net.

They are already building 7 follow on Shivaliks aka Project 17a. They will apparently cost $750 Million a pop!. With that and the corvettes and kolkata class destroyers, and follow on project 15b, I think Indian shipyards have their plate full.
By 'they' you mean Indian I guess. Four will be constructed by Mazgaon Dock Ltd in Mumbai and three by Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers in Kolkata.

And you're spot on with the cost. But these are far more expensive than the Talwar Class frigs or even the Shivaliks because Lockheed Martin and Hyundai Heavy Industries have jointly responded to the Project 17A combat systems Request for Information (RFI) issued by Indian Navy. They have offered the Aegis Combat System to be included in its Project 17A frigate proposal.

Roger Rose, head of Lockheed martin, India said that the Indian Navy is buying the world’s most advanced shipboard Weapons System, the Aegis Combat System (ACS) for Project 17A. The US Navy has briefed the Indian Navy on the capabilities of the world's premier area air defense combat system. Other Asia Pacific navies operating Aegis systems are Japan, South Korea and Australia. Lockheed Martin and Hyundai Heavy Industries had included the Aegis CMS concept when answering the Project 17A RFI.

For those who want to know about the Aegis Combat System....

Aegis Combat System

images

694px-USS_John_S._McCain_%28DDG-56%29_Aegis_large_screen_displays.jpg

USS John S. McCain (DDG-56) Aegis large screen displays

The Aegis Combat System (ACS) is an advanced command and control (command and decision, or C&D, in Aegis parlance), and weapon control system (WCS) that uses powerful computers and radars to track and guide weapons to destroy enemy targets.

The ACS is composed of the Aegis Weapon System (AWS), the fast-reaction component of the Aegis Anti-Aircraft Warfare (AAW) capability, along with the Phalanx Close In Weapon System (CIWS), the Mark 41 Vertical Launch System. AWS, the heart of Aegis, comprises the AN/SPY-1 Radar, MK 99 Fire Control System, WCS, the Command and Decision Suite, and SM-2 Standard Missile family of weapons; these include the basic RIM-66 Standard, the RIM-67 extended range missile, and the newer RIM-161 designed to counter ballistic missile threats. A further SM-2 based weapon, the RIM-174 Standard ERAM is currently in testing, and may be integrated into the system in the near future.

The Aegis Combat System is controlled by an advanced, automatic detect-and-track, multi-function three-dimensional passive electronically scanned array radar, the AN/SPY-1. Known as "the Shield of the Fleet", the SPY high-powered (6 megawatt) radar is able to perform search, tracking, and missile guidance functions simultaneously with a track capacity of well over 100 targets at more than 100 nautical miles (190 km).

More, for those interested...AEGIS Combat System

Back
Top Bottom