What's new

India to revive economic ties with SL, China, Pakistan

Gibbs

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hmmm.. A counter measure to the highly successful One Belt, One Road - Silk road initiative ?? Or will it be complimentary ?

@ahojunk @AndrewJin @Shotgunner51 @Chinese-Dragon @PaklovesTurkiye @waz @Nilgiri @nair @Joe Shearer @Godman @Saradiel @war&peace @TaiShang @Aung Zaya

The Central government of India on Monday said it is trying to revive the historic maritime cultural and economic ties with 39 countries including Sri Lanka, China, Pakistan, Cambodia and Qatar under a new initiative called 'Mausam'. "India has taken a big initiative in the form of the 'Mausam' project.

It is our Prime Minister Narendra Modi's vision to establish this link between 39 countries, of which China is an important and integral part. We (both countries) are working on this project. China is definitely an integral part of this project," Culture Minister Mahesh Sharma informed the Lok Sabha.

The minister said that both the Archaeological Survey of India and the Indira Gandhi National Centre for Arts are working with 39 countries on this issue along with departments concerned in China.

According to New Kerala News, Minister Sharma had said the project aims to explore the multi-faceted Indian Ocean world, collating archaeological and historical research in order to document the diversity of cultural, commercial and religious interactions in the Indian Ocean extending from East Africa, the Arabian Peninsula to the Southeast Asian archipelago.

http://www.dailymirror.lk/113462/In...feed&utm_medium=facebook#sthash.zB2sNQMx.dpuf

@Gibbs

IMHO, it is complementary to OBOR (or 1B1R).

India is trying to steal some thunder from OBOR.

Any country can put forward whatever "initiative" they want. However, that country will also need to be able to fund it.

OBOR is only possible because it has the Silk Road Fund, AIIB, etc to back it up.

Does the "Mausam" project have similar funds to back it?

At the end of the day, remember:-
Money talks, bullsh*t walks.

GOI is talking about spice routes and other trade routes through which India interacted with other nations for thousands of years!

Hmmm.. A counter measure to the highly successful One Belt, One Road - Silk road initiative ?? Or will it be complimentary ?

@ahojunk @AndrewJin @Shotgunner51 @Chinese-Dragon @PaklovesTurkiye @waz @Nilgiri @nair @Joe Shearer @Godman @Saradiel @war&peace @TaiShang @Aung Zaya

The Central government of India on Monday said it is trying to revive the historic maritime cultural and economic ties with 39 countries including Sri Lanka, China, Pakistan, Cambodia and Qatar under a new initiative called 'Mausam'. "India has taken a big initiative in the form of the 'Mausam' project.

It is our Prime Minister Narendra Modi's vision to establish this link between 39 countries, of which China is an important and integral part. We (both countries) are working on this project. China is definitely an integral part of this project," Culture Minister Mahesh Sharma informed the Lok Sabha.

The minister said that both the Archaeological Survey of India and the Indira Gandhi National Centre for Arts are working with 39 countries on this issue along with departments concerned in China.

According to New Kerala News, Minister Sharma had said the project aims to explore the multi-faceted Indian Ocean world, collating archaeological and historical research in order to document the diversity of cultural, commercial and religious interactions in the Indian Ocean extending from East Africa, the Arabian Peninsula to the Southeast Asian archipelago.

http://www.dailymirror.lk/113462/In...feed&utm_medium=facebook#sthash.zB2sNQMx.dpuf

It's different concepts.

The surprising thing is the complete neglect of India in the Indian Ocean by the bulk of historians, who go on and bloody on talking about what happened in one river valley out of nine. There are honourable exceptions; my old HOD, the famous Ashin DasGupta, was one, a path-breaker, but there have been others including an insipid history by Sugato Bose.

It all depends on the implementation. The ones who knit India with its maritime neighbours are not the ones who get to be front and centre in Indian history, therefore not the front and centre in Delhi-centric world-views. We have to think Sindhi, Gujarati, Maratha, including Angre, Malayali, including Kunjali, Tamizh, Odiya, Bengali; none of them the glamour boys of historians. We have to think dhow-making and origin, Beypore, the symbiotic links between the Malayalis and Konkan coastals and Arabia, and the African coast, down to Zanzibar; we have to think Coromandel to the Golden Chersonese, to the links created by Buddhism, and even by Hinduism, to the strong imprint of Indian mercantile and cultural presence in all of south-east Asia, to the script used by the Koreans - I leave out one obvious theatre for display of a possible cultural cross-fertilisation for fear of giving offence to @Gibbs :D

Let's see what happens to this promising possibility.

@Gibbs

Any country can put forward whatever "initiative" they want. However, that country will also need to be able to fund it.

OBOR is only possible because it has the Silk Road Fund, AIIB, etc to back it up.

I love your elegant yelp of panic. Try to retain a little dignity. There is no need to show such fear and apprehension before anything has happened.

Chinese manufacturing is over, they are investing in emerging markets.

OBOR is for China centric countries, we do work with China where our interests converge.

@Gibbs

Why is Pakistan on the list, india is a enemy, their should be no trade and india should be completely blocked

I leave out one obvious theatre for display of a possible cultural cross-fertilisation for fear of giving offence to @Gibbs :D

Should i be offended ? Nah mate i'm made of thicker skin, Owing to being a mongrel of sorts.. ;)

On topic.. I do agree with @TaiShang to a large degree that without monetary incentives projects as vast magnitude would fail i the long run or atleast fade away.. That's where OBOR holds sway

As long as this project is complimentary i see success if not there would to much of a swim against the tide, For only to the Western interests to take advantage of

Why is Pakistan on the list, india is a enemy, their should be no trade and india should be completely blocked

That would be a short sighted view imo.. In a globalized world it would be detrimental self interests.. The US and China are antagonists in many area's but are the largest trading partners, Britain and Russia, Japan and China.. The list is too long

Should i be offended ? Nah mate i'm made of thicker skin, Owing to being a mongrel of sorts.. ;)

On topic.. I do agree with @TaiShang to a large degree that without monetary incentives projects as vast magnitude would fail i the long run or atleast fade away.. That's where OBOR holds sway

As long as this project is complimentary i see success if not there would to much of a swim against the tide, For only to the Western interests to take advantage of

That would be a short sighted view imo.. In a globalized world it would be detrimental self interests.. The US and China are antagonists in many area's but are the largest trading partners, Britain and Russia, Japan and China.. The list is too long

Mongrel of sorts?

I presume you are vaguely aware of the genetic make-up of Bengalis?

Mongrel of sorts?

I presume you are vaguely aware of the genetic make-up of Bengalis?

That i do, But i'm also close to 2/3's Dutch.. Well may be a bit less.. So as far as mongrels go... Lets just say a "global citizen" :D

You report and ignore that person. The person mistakes light mockery (enough not to result in a ban or negative rating) for intelligence. :(

Disengagement is the best means of engagement toward that sort of persons.

On topic:

We especially need to see institutions. Otherwise, even statements, MOUs or grand agreements will mean no more than political face-saving or façade building.

Do we have an economic basis?

Do we have a theory of action based on economic reality?

Do we have institutions to put those theories in test/use?

Easier said than done.

You report and ignore that person. The person mistakes light mockery (enough not to result in a ban or negative rating) for intelligence.

Disengagement is the best means of engagement toward that sort of persons.

Nah mate.. Joe is one of the more rare personalities here.. I guess you need to have a more nuanced sense of humor sometimes to really understand what he's getting at without getting easily offended.. :-)

What you are saying is true, but until Kashmir is resolved then it should be a point of principle to stand against india in every sphere possible, including economic

Pakistan is a fast growing economy which is underdeveloped so as we grow we will need everything from cars to phones to computers etc etc. India should be completely blocked from a 200 million developing market on its door step as a continuation of the fall out over Kashmir.

Things cannot and must not be allowed to move on until Kashmir is resolved whatever the consequences

Everything else you are if course right all regional countries should look to maximise their potential and look to increase trade to the benefit of the population
A word of warning though, india sees itself as a regional power and you would do well to keep them at arms length, they have delusions of grandeur and will screw you over for their own interests, China is a better bet, although you should court both and play both

That i do, But i'm also close to 2/3's Dutch.. Well may be a bit less.. So as far as mongrels go... Lets just say a "global citizen" :D

Just for fun, look up Pearson Surita and Ivan Surita. Pearson, the elder brother, was a legend in his times, cricket commentator, bon viveur, life and soul of parties, and an elegant gentleman about town.Ivan was a Military Cross winner and later an administrator of some repute and stature. They were Indo-Dutch, old families from Chinsurah I think, although that got watered down a bit due to the overwhelming Anglo-Indian milieu in which they lived.

Just for fun, look up Pearson Surita and Ivan Surita. Pearson, the elder brother, was a legend in his times, cricket commentator, bon viveur, life and soul of parties, and an elegant gentleman about town.Ivan was a Military Cross winner and later an administrator of some repute and stature. They were Indo-Dutch, old families from Chinsurah I think, although that got watered down a bit due to the overwhelming Anglo-Indian milieu in which they lived.

Cheers will do.. Interesting.. Ceylonese Dutch Burgher Union has records from Batavia (Indonesia) to South Africa and Suriname.. Never bothered to check up on the Indian links though

Back
Top Bottom