What's new

India to Retire Indigenously Built INSAS Rifle; Imported ones to Take its Place

Those will be mass produced in India..Read the article a bit.
I read it sir, Point is all those years spent on INSAS to be a primary AR for indian defense proved to be a waste. And in other words they failed proving capabilities for "Make in India" initiative.

If we can master complex technologies like rockets and missiles...... Wonder why we cannot make a decent rifle???? Its embarrassing to be honest...

I read it sir, Point is all those years spent on INSAS to be a primary AR for indian defense proved to be a waste. And in other words they failed proving capabilities for "Make in India" initiative.
Our amry always prefer foreign maal..Army heads are to blame.That's the problem..
But still it comes under make in India if imported..It will be license produced in India with Indian partner creating job for Indians..

The sources said that as many as 18 vendors, including some Indian companies having a tie-up with a foreign arms manufacturing firm, have sent in their consent to replace nearly two lakh such rifles used by the army along the borders and in counter-insurgency operations.

18 vendors? I dont think there are that much modern 7.62x51 assault rifles..

Good to hear Indian companies, other than OFB, are involved.

For example, India had the 4th fastest supercomputer in the world last decade, but now they fell out of the top 100.
Not really, we had zero capacity for indigenous semiconductor tech then. Today, India produces them in labs and utilizing in aerospace & def sector & constructing the plants for commercial level production also.
A new supercomputer was in work for 8-10 petaflops to again break in top 10 for which India deserves a praise, it'll be launched this year in May/June.

Last decade one didn't use Indian Chips so I will be okay even if someone takes away credit. It wasn't Indian really.
They manufactured indigenous assault rifles, now they are replacing them with foreign imports.
Actually, post Kargil, India has been producing many types of guns but mostly gone to police & special forces.

Regarding INSAS, it's exact what @Mugwoop
These insas rifles didn't help them much in Kargil and they would often crack and jam.
INSAS wasn't really as big dud as it's mocked in media. It's still used in Thar to Siachen. But if ever used, it's mostly a "kaam chalau" type gun. Obviously was to be replaced under infantry modernization program.

Won't be imported entirely, army may still hold a mix up of new homegrown gun MCIWS, Ghatak along with foreign but I'm wondering, why they didn't make a good gun post Kargil that they didn't have to import. Sounds like a scam.:(

1. The Excalibur is doing exceptional in trials as we speak.

2. The stupid part is, even if IA goes for a foreign rifle, the ammo will be built by...... OFB Kanpur/Ishapore combo.
The morons who ruined the INSAS for the first 10 years.

ARDE developed it. Just like they made the Excalibur. The mass production is given to OFB. Where they screwed up.

Also the jamming and all, was rectified. For the last 10 years or so, this things works out of the box. More or so.

3. This needs to be retired. Not because the system is bad. Yes it is not great. But good enough. This system is too old now. No evolutionary mods. No rails etc. Well, I don't know if Excalibur is considered as a evolutionary design here. I would. They sure did not market it so.

4. If ARDE decides to outsource the Excalibur design to Bharat Forge, Godrej or L&T... You have a international star here. Perhaps the new DPP will make it happen. But if it is OFB, good bye.

5. The ammo type was a IA requirement. It was light and so they can be carried more. But for the engagement distances, they wont tumble. Hence the change to the 7xx. This is NOT a flaw. It is designed to by such.

1. The Excalibur is doing exceptional in trials as we speak.

2. The stupid part is, even if IA goes for a foreign rifle, the ammo will be built by...... OFB Kanpur/Ishapore combo.
The morons who ruined the INSAS for the first 10 years.

ARDE developed it. Just like they made the Excalibur. The mass production is given to OFB. Where they screwed up.

Also the jamming and all, was rectified. For the last 10 years or so, this things works out of the box. More or so.

3. This needs to be retired. Not because the system is bad. Yes it is not great. But good enough. This system is too old now. No evolutionary mods. No rails etc. Well, I don't know if Excalibur is considered as a evolutionary design here. I would. They sure did not market it so.

4. If ARDE decides to outsource the Excalibur design to Bharat Forge, Godrej or L&T... You have a international star here. Perhaps the new DPP will make it happen. But if it is OFB, good bye.

5. The ammo type was a IA requirement. It was light and so they can be carried more. But for the engagement distances, they wont tumble. Hence the change to the 7xx. This is NOT a flaw. It is designed to by such.

So far, Reliance and Punj Lloyd are the only ones setting up, or trying to set up a factory for small arms. God only knows if they get any orders. The demand is surely there.

Back
Top Bottom