What's new

India To Purchase 3 More French ‘Scorpene’ Submarines

Vergennes

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
France
According to Latribune.fr, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Hollande should certainly mention the Scorpene submarines built by DCNS during their meeting.
The head of program management Pierre Legros (DCNS) will be part of the French delegation.

@Abingdonboy @PARIKRAMA @Levina @Parul @Nilgiri @SpArK @The_Sidewinder @SrNair @Skull and Bones @knight 11 @45'22' @nik22 @Ind4Ever @ranjeet
-
With neighbouring China and Pakistan strengthening their fleets, India, too, plans to replace its ageing underwater combat arm.

The Narendra Modi government recently said that it would soon purchase three more ‘Scorpene’ submarines from France to bolster India’s naval power. India has already ordered six such submarines that are constructed at Mazagon Docks. Now, the government plans to issue a tender for six new-generation stealth submarines by 2016.

Indian Navy Chief Admiral Robin Dhowan has said that the main aim of the proposed move is to effectively counter China’s strategic moves in the Indian Ocean Region (IOR). He also said that India currently has only 13 ageing conventional diesel-electric submarines, 10 of which are more than 25-year-old, and one SSN on lease from Russia. According to the Navy chief, the Russian submarine is not armed with nuclear missiles in accordance with international treaties.

On the contrary, China has 51 conventional and five nuclear submarines. The Asian giant also plans to induct another five JIN-class SSBNs with the 7,400-km range JL-2 missiles. Pakistan, too, has ordered eight more advanced diesel-electric submarines from China. “Collaboration between Pakistan and China is nothing new, nor is their development of Gwadar port. The geo-strategic environment keeps on changing. We take note of the developments and factor them into our own plans,” stressed Admiral Dhowan.

Asked about India’s plans to counter its two nuclear-powerful neighbours, the Navy chief said that Indian Navy should be a multi-dimensional, networked force. According to him, the Indian Navy is also combat-ready and it can take on any challenge in the IOR at any time. Admiral Dhowan claimed that the Navy has the ability to safeguard India’s maritime interests from the Western Pacific in the east to the North Atlantic in the west.

India To Purchase 3 More French ‘Scorpene’ Submarines | InSerbia News

Fingers crossed for this deal to go through. I don't care about price tag anymore. We already chosen Scorpene. And we need much needed underwater boost just to secure our region alone. It's already too little too late. India should have more than 50 subs to have formidable defence against China and Pakistan new submarines.

It's time to have Change in mindset. Soft power to major player globally.

SSGN is something Indian Navy should look into with serious intent. SSK and SSBN are totally different than SSGN. SSGN are like Aircraft Carrier. Which carriers fear factor and lots and lots of lethal fire power.

It should be 2 scorpene subs made in France DCNS and one in India MDL. That way we can have a quick procurement of these submarines which will help in our depleting under water Fleet.

@Vauban
A very positive development.. We need our MDL lines to be used as beyond 2020 timeline.. I have said earlier that P75I will start rolling from 2027 types. So there is a scope of the order for Scorpene in tranches of 3+3. 3 now to keep the line going uptill 2022-23 and 3 again around 2020 timeline order for keeping line occupied from 2023-26 types.

Effectively this allows us to slowly reduce the Kilo EKM subs patrolling time on sea and better use them so that the upgraded ones can serve us for longer timelines. Implying the active duties being slowly handled by Scorpenes and Kilos stepping in conservatively to support them.

The biggest benefit of such orders follow o is
1. The MDL modular construction investment returns
2. The retirement of old HDW subs.

As far as AIP is concerned, i believe it owuld be Mesma not DRDO. DRDO AIP needs testing and will require a full certification which at present will take time. In all probability DRDO AIP may come in P75I project. The AIPs perhaps will be MESMA for Scorpenes.

According to Latribune.fr, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Hollande should certainly mention the Scorpene submarines built by DCNS during their meeting.
The head of program management Pierre Legros (DCNS) will be part of the French delegation.
India To Purchase 3 More French ‘Scorpene’ Submarines | InSerbia News

A follow-on acquisition of Scorpenes is certain. And it makes eminent sense; because the Scorpene line is still functional at MDL. Whether it will be a tranche of 3 or 6 is still the question. However that will depend on two things, the finalisation of the Project-75i design and to a lesser extent approval of the AIP design for the last Scorpenes in this lot.

@Vauban
and some more news suggest the civil reactor deal will be 6 in numbers. But negotiations have been stuck over the price, and French utility EDF's recent takeover of Areva's reactor business has slowed progress as per Reuters ticker.

Rafale IGA will be done .. final contract later.. but its becoming a bone of contention now as pricing details is suppose to be in the annexure with the IGA ... again ticker in my ET screen says that..

im going on a hunch here saying that the indigenous aip is not yet ready and would be ready after the 6th ship is built so the induction of 3 more subs is meant for the indigenous aip's and to increase

either that or theres a delay in the 75i

Back
Top Bottom