What's new

India to pay Russia for arms, ammo it sells to Afghanistan

If China is ok with India spending money to import Russian arms to Afghanistan, then I believe Pakistan should be ok with it too. Lets say China is the boss for all countries in Asia, if boss says ok, why should anyone object, but then boss better make sure that boss is making the right judgement and it is not going to come back and bite at the rear end later.

Let India spend money for nation building in Afghanistan, why not. If Afghanistan becomes stable, then it will benefit Pakistan and China more than it will benefit India. Pakistan, Turkey and Iran can integrate economically with Central Asia and Russia. A stable Afghanistan opens a lot of doors, specially for Pakistan.

The thing to think about for China is whether they want to see Indian influence growing in Afghanistan. Any money India can spend, China can spend 10 times more, so I would rather see Chinese money invested and influence growing here. But then if China is fine with some Indian presence, that should be ok with Pakistan.

@Chinese-Dragon I am interested to know more about Chinese views on this issue, if you have a good insight from Chinese language media or web, please share with us.

For tanks. Russia will have to deliver it through third countries i-e Tajikistan or Uzbekistan the same way India will have to supply it through Iran. The route is not that different.

It is not just initial delivery. There is also an issue of providing maintenance and support.

India made tank ( Arjun ) has many problems

1. It is highly expensive ( cost $8 million + per piece ).

2. It is a heavy tank and it's characteristics like rifled barrel makes it maintenance extensive. These features are of no use for afghans as Taliban is not fielding a tank army so extra NERA Armour or passive defense systems like trophy is not needed by ANA. Also rifled barrel gets worn out at faster rate.India is fielding rifled barrel as rifled barrel has capacity to fire anti helicopter missiles like LAHAT.

3. India would have to supply spare parts via Iran, a route whose access is not guaranteed as India is pro-Israel and pro-USA. On the other hand, central asian countries are de-facto Russian colonies.

4.India has to station it's maintenance staff in Afghanistan, if it supplies India made weapons as Afghans have no experience in maintenance of Indian equipments while they are using Russian equipments for 40-50 years.

5. ANA uses tanks in support of infantry. Even T-55 would fulfill their requirement.

Additional problems with LCA

1. LCA is not a mature platform.

2. Afghanistan does not have capability to maintain jet aircrafts.

3. Mig- 27's which is a dedicated ground support aircraft would be more suited for ANA, even if they try to go for Jets.

If China is ok with India spending money to import Russian arms to Afghanistan, then I believe Pakistan should be ok with it too. Lets say China is the boss for all countries in Asia, if boss says ok, why should anyone object, but then boss better make sure that boss is making the right judgement and it is not going to come back and bite at the rear end later.

Spoken like a true slave.

Anyway Central Asia is Russia's Bitch.

Spoken like a true slave.

Anyway Central Asia is Russia's Bitch.

Better to be China's slave than become the slave of India, I personally have no problem with it, that is our destiny. And where did I say Central Asia is not Russian sphere, try to read my post again.

Let India spend money for nation building in Afghanistan, why not. If Afghanistan becomes stable, then it will benefit Pakistan and China more than it will benefit India. Pakistan, Turkey and Iran can integrate economically with Central Asia and Russia. A stable Afghanistan opens a lot of doors, specially for Pakistan.

The thing to think about for China is whether they want to see Indian influence growing in Afghanistan. Any money India can spend, China can spend 10 times more, so I would rather see Chinese money invested and influence growing here. But then if China is fine with some Indian presence, that should be ok with Pakistan.

@Chinese-Dragon I am interested to know more about Chinese views on this issue, if you have a good insight from Chinese language media or web, please share with us.

Works well for some Bangladeshis who are looking for a new master ...... Not for Indians.

China is developing as a good market for West who are gradually gaining their strength in economy .

Back
Top Bottom