What's new

India successfully tests Nirbhay cruise missile

Nirbhay - India's Indigenously Developed Long-Range, Loitering, Subsonic Cruise Missile....

Wow! It can loiter too!! :woot:

I seriously doubt it is nuclear capable.. Can anyone clarify?? @kurup @acetophenol @sandy_3126 @sancho @Abingdonboy
It is designed to be a conventional cruise missile (like the Tomahawk) BUT it can be nuclear tipped (as can the Bhramos) but that is purely a secondary role.

The distance of this missile has to be increased big time for it to be an effective platform for us.
The present 1,000 km range is nothing to scoff at mate.

The distance of this missile has to be increased big time for it to be an effective platform for us.

what is important is the mastery of turbofan technology ...

I am sure once we have demonstrated capability ...we would be able to extend the missile range further ...

It can carry one ....... But don't think it will ever . Maybe an air launched version in the future will carry nuke warheads .

BGM-109A Tomahawk Land Attack Missile – Nuclear (TLAM-A) with a W80 nuclear warhead. Retired from service sometime between 2010 and 2013

It has been widely speculated that all SFC owned Sukhois will be armed with nuclear tipped nirbhay missiles ...

which will be a force multiplier for obvious reasons ....

Many sources say the actual range is 1200km .

More the merrier .

as you know the range is not fixed ..it varies with mission profile ...

I think somebody rounded off the missile range to 1000 km ...

Yes maximum range for current generation of Nirbhay will be 1200 km

as you know the range is not fixed ..it varies with mission profile ...

I think somebody rounded off the missile range to 1000 km ...

Yes maximum range for current generation of Nirbhay will be 1200 km
To be honest the true range will never be divulged to the public- that would be rather counter productive, it will always be a rounded off figure.

It has been widely speculated that all SFC owned Sukhois will be armed with nuclear tipped nirbhay missiles ...

which will be a force multiplier for obvious reasons ....

That is exactly what I meant .

I don't see a requirement for a nuclear tipped Nirbhay GLCM .

can some body shed some light on guidance systems (if it is same as brahmos)

That is exactly what I meant .

I don't see a requirement for a nuclear tipped Nirbhay GLCM .

Cruise missiles are supposed to be weapons of surprise ...

what is wrong if the surprise is " Nuclear " one ...?

I do not understand why nuclear capable ALCM should preclude nuclear capable GLCM !

Back
Top Bottom