What's new

India successfully conducts first night trial of nuclear-capable Agni-I ballistic missile

In the first-ever night trial, nuclear weapons-capable Agni-1 surface-to-surface ballistic missile was successfully test-fired for its full range of 700 km from the Wheeler Island, off the Odisha coast on Friday.

The missile was picked up randomly from the production lot and launched by the personnel of the Strategic Forces Command as part of regular user training.

The launch pad and its surroundings on the island were aglow with plumes of flames as the 12-metre tall missile lifted off majestically from its mobile launcher and zoomed into the night sky at 11-03 pm.

At the end of the flight, the missile zeroed on to the pre-designated target in the Bay of Bengal with accuracy. Two down range ships recorded the terminal event as the missile splashed down into the sea, while the entire trajectory was tracked and monitored by radars, electro-optical network and telemetry stations along the East Coast.

The single-stage, solid fuelled missile is capable of carrying a payload weighing 1,000 kg up to a distance of 700 km. The missile, which has already been inducted, was developed in a record time of 15 months in the wake of the Kargil conflict after its need was perceived by the Army.

Scientific Advisor to Defence Minister, Avinash Chander and Director-General, DRDO (missiles and strategic systems) V G Sekaran wer among those present..

Earlier, the night trial of Agni-1 was postponed twice in February after the missile developed a technical glitch.
Agni-1 test-fired successfully during night - The Hindu: Mobile Edition

Agni-1 test-fired successfully during night - The Hindu

In the first-ever night trial, nuclear weapons-capable Agni-1 surface-to-surface ballistic missile was successfully test-fired for its full range of 700 km from the Wheeler Island, off the Odisha coast on Friday.

The missile was picked up randomly from the production lot and launched by the personnel of the Strategic Forces Command as part of regular user training.

The launch pad and its surroundings on the island were aglow with plumes of flames as the 12-metre tall missile lifted off majestically from its mobile launcher and zoomed into the night sky at 11-03 pm.

At the end of the flight, the missile zeroed on to the pre-designated target in the Bay of Bengal with accuracy. Two down range ships recorded the terminal event as the missile splashed down into the sea, while the entire trajectory was tracked and monitored by radars, electro-optical network and telemetry stations along the East Coast.

The single-stage, solid fuelled missile is capable of carrying a payload weighing 1,000 kg up to a distance of 700 km. The missile, which has already been inducted, was developed in a record time of 15 months in the wake of the Kargil conflict after its need was perceived by the Army.

Scientific Advisor to Defence Minister, Avinash Chander and Director-General, DRDO (missiles and strategic systems) V G Sekaran wer among those present..

Earlier, the night trial of Agni-1 was postponed twice in February after the missile developed a technical glitch.

xTt9ev3.jpg

mdsUGJU.jpg

@jarves

can any one clarify my doubt ? my doubt is,DRDO had released so many videos of various missile launches.but, why no video of any missile during the terminal phase is not disclosed ?? is it a classified info ??

@jarves @Srinivas @SpArK @Ammyy

India is testing so much stuff. Why?
This just regular testing. Agni 1 is old missile now, so they are just testing its reliability. Other missiles that have been tested recently are fairly new so they are just performing some test to gather data.

India is testing so much stuff. Why?
It was just a user trial.Missile has already been inducted.We have two hostile neighbours in our border.We have to take care of them.

can any one clarify my doubt ? my doubt is,DRDO had released so many videos of various missile launches.but, why no video of any missile during the terminal phase is not disclosed ?? is it a classified info ??

@jarves @Srinivas @SpArK @Ammyy
Video of the terminal phase (except at the impact point) cannot be recorded anyway IMO. However, the video of the warhead splashing down in the waters or bursting in the air is always recorded. If I recall correctly, DRDO did release a short clip of an Agni-I test (recorded by an IR camera), in which the warhead was shown air-bursting.
They are not released because they may reveal critical information about the missile's functionality, such as its detonation mechanism, angle of attack (of that particular launch), altitude of the air-burst, accuracy...stuff like that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom