What's new

India spends millions on Mumbai gunman Ajmal Qasab

Filmmaker

Reaction score
Country
India
India has spent $3m (£2m) in the past three years on Mohammad Ajmal Amir Qasab, the sole surviving gunman from the 2008 Mumbai (Bombay) attacks.

The special cell in Mumbai's Arthur Road jail, where Qasab is lodged, cost the state $1m to construct.

And another $2m was spent between March 2009 and September 2010 on security. The total does not include legal fees.

Qasab was sentenced to death after a trial in May last year. His appeal is pending in the Supreme Court.

The Mumbai attack claimed 165 lives. Nine gunmen were also killed.

Qasab was found guilty of waging war against India, multiple murder and conspiracy.

BBC News - India spends millions on Mumbai gunman Ajmal Qasab

Federal request
"Besides the money that was spent on constructing the special cell at the Arthur Road prison, 26,953 rupees ($517) were spent on taking care of his medical needs," Press Trust of India news agency quoted Medha Gadgil, home secretary of the western state of Maharashtra, as saying. Mumbai is the capital of Maharashtra.

Ms Gadgil denied media reports that Qasab - who is called the "butcher of Mumbai" by many in India - was being "fattened on biriyani", saying a mere 52 cents was spent on his daily food.

Most of the cost has been on providing security to India's most high-profile prisoner.

Ms Gadgil said the state authorities had received a bill of $2m from the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP), covering a period of 18 months.

The state government has written to the federal authorities in Delhi, saying that Qasab's security was not Maharashtra's concern alone, she said.

"The state government has written to the centre asking it to consider waiving the amount. We have not received any communication so far. The issue remains unresolved," she said.

The 60-hour siege which began on 26 November 2008 targeted luxury hotels, Mumbai's main railway station and a Jewish cultural centre.

Qasab and an accomplice carried out the assault on the station, killing 52 people.

India blamed Pakistan-based militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba for the attacks.

After initial denials, Pakistan acknowledged that the assault had been partially planned on its territory and that Qasab was a Pakistani citizen

why pakistan extablishments are so eager to see him hanging ...

our government's this kind of lenient or luxorios treatment towards these terrorist are encouraging more terrorist to commit these sort of massacres in our country

Shame on our government, wasting our hard earned money such bastard, should have been hanged before

probably govt is waiting for another kandhar like hijacking incident to hand him over to his mentors. i don't understand why he is STILL being kept alive ? castrate him and then hang him, he should not even dream of getting those virgins up there for which he was promised by his mentors for carrying such hideous act.

Shame on our government, wasting our hard earned money such bastard, should have been hanged before

No hanging him would still be very lenient i think he should be kept in such a way that his life be comes a living hell and so other terrorists would think billion times before commiting such mass murders in our mother land

Anyhow Congress will not hang him ,so just let him go free back to pakistan and don't waste indian tax payer's money plz....

Nothing unusual about it..I think we need to wait for the next goverment to hang this sob.
2Z5oKWcUeklx.jpg

This Kasab guy gets cable TV or reading materials ? I wonder if has a sleep
number matress in his cell .

there is due process involved here . the matter is before the courts not the government . its what differentiates us from the kind of animal kasab is .
has any one spent time in jail? i have !!! believe me its better to die . keeping this guy alive is a mental torture in its self . he is in solitary confinement . it drives a man virtually insane . it does not matter what so called luxuries he is provided (if any ) he is not enjoying his stay .
also in the eyes of the world its important for India to show we are a country ruled by the word of law . not sentiments .

Back
Top Bottom