What's new

India speaks out against Israeli war crimes as it votes in favour of Goldstone report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screaming Skull

Reaction score

6 Nov 2009,

UNITED NATIONS: India has voted in favour of a UN resolution endorsing the Goldstone report that requires Israel and Palestine to investigate war crimes in the Gaza Strip, after initially expressing reservations about it.

Expressing support for the resolution, Indian Deputy Envoy to the United Nations, Manjeev Singh Puri told news agency, "Our commitment to the Palestinian cause is complete."

Puri, however, noted that India could not make an "unqualified endorsement". "We do not approve of the referral to the Security Council and the ICC," he said.

The 192-member world body approved the resolution by a vote of 114-18, with 44 abstentions and 16 countries not voting.

India had maintained that the report should have addressed its recommendations solely to the Human Rights Council in Geneva and not to other UN institutions, including the Security Council.

The main recommendation of the report is for the Security Council to require Israel and Palestinian authority to report within six months on domestic prosecutions it carries.

If the two governments fail in this task, the UNSC should refer the matter to the prosecutor of International Criminal Court (ICC), says the report.

While supporting independent investigations by both sides, Puri said "our vote should not be construed as endorsing referrals to the International Criminal Court and United Nations Security Council."

Prepared by the UN Fact Finding Mission, headed by South African judge Richard Goldstone, the report accuses both Hamas and Israeli forces of war crimes in the Gaza strip from December, 2008 to January this year.

The fate of the resolution in the Security Council is uncertain with the US, which had previously called the report "one-sided" and "biased", voting against it. Among the other four permanent members China voted 'yes' while the UK, France and Russia abstained from voting.

Earlier, Israel had voiced against the report which it termed as one "conceived in hate and executed in sin".

"The report before you was conceived in hate and executed in sin. From its inception in a one-sided mandate, the Gaza fact-finding mission was a politicised body with predetermined conclusions." Israel's envoy to the UN, Gabriela Shalev had said at the General Assembly.

India votes in favour of Goldstone report- Politics/Nation-News-The Economic Times

------------------------------​

An absolute vindication of India's non-aligned stand! India and Indians are totally and absolutely committed to the Palestinian cause and we have proved that time and again. I thought we would cave in to the temptation of abstaining from voting. But NO! We have made a bold statement by voting against Israel even when the super power unfairly sided with them and the other permanent members of the UNSC except China chickened out of voting!
Three cheers to the UPA govt. led by Dr. MMS and three cheers to China for standing upto the rights of the Palestinian people.

Jai Ho!:tup:

An absolute vindication of India's non-aligned stand!

hmm, its a bit of a dead horse but a smart move, india is and always has been trying to garner support in the muslim world but at the same time everyone knows that india's stance towards the palestinian's matters not a shred in terms of the wider and broader partnership with israel.

also india's vote for the resolution was hardly decisive.

out of interest, has india ever acted against israel in regards to palestine, for example kick out the israel ambassador to israel like ecuador did?

I must say a nice move by India. But there's more to come. If India believes and endorses Goldstone Report, it should be vocal against the atrocities of both Israel and Palestine. But I'd say India needs to be more vocal against Israel in such regards. In Gaza war, the number of deaths Israel recorded was 14 and the number of deaths Palestine recorded was 1500+

words are meaningless, i think india should match their actions with their words.

statements like

" "Our commitment to the Palestinian cause is complete.""

are pretty lofty.

yet all india is doing is increasing its partnership with israel which is benefiting israel alot, so much for dedication to the palestinian cause?

words are meaningless, i think india should match their actions with their words.

statements like

" "Our commitment to the Palestinian cause is complete.""

are pretty lofty.

yet all india is doing is increasing its partnership with israel which is benefiting israel alot, so much for dedication to the palestinian cause?

I second that. And I said that too. India needs to be more vocal if she's really up for Palestinians cause. Otherwise poetic words and metaphoric language is inutile.

before indians jump on this, india are entitled to whatever stance they want to take with palestine, that is their perogative, however they talk the talk but do not walk the walk.

its a bit of a cruel joke to make such lofty comments in regards to the plight of palestinians but then turn around and go to bed with israel on a whole range of other issues and never act in a way that hurts israel vis a vis its treatment of palestine - that is commitment to the palestinian cause.

Well, Indian Foreign Policy is far better then ours.

out of interest, has india ever acted against israel in regards to palestine, for example kick out the israel ambassador to israel like ecuador did?

Firstly, it was not Ecuador which "kicked out" Israeli ambassador but it was Venezuela which expelled Israeli ambassador. Given Hugo Chavez's hard anti-Western stance, this made perfect sense. If you think Chavez did it out of sympathy for Palestinians, then good luck!

Secondly, did Egypt and Jordan "kick out" Israeli ambassador? No. As a matter of fact, Egypt held Hamas equally responsible for the Gaza War. I can list several other Muslim-majority countries which did not explicitly condemn Israel for Gaza atrocities - Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, and Tajikistan.

Thirdly, whatever said and done, India and Israel are allies and only under rarest of rare cases would India ever consider a strict action against Israel. Even then, India was the only non-Muslim ally of Israel which held the Israelis solely responsible for the Gaza War. The fact that a Hindu-majority India condemned Israeli actions while some Muslim countries didn't even have the balls to do so speaks volumes.

Secondly, did Egypt and Jordan "kick out" Israeli ambassador? No. As a matter of fact, Egypt held Hamas equally responsible for the Gaza War. I can list several other Muslim-majority countries which did not explicitly condemn Israel for Gaza atrocities - Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, and Tajikistan.

ah, indian logic, who cares what egypt/jordan do?

how is that relevant to india? - and this is a perfectly valid statement to make because i am judging india by its own statements and india is saying it is completely committed to the palestinian cause so explain how india walks the walk?

Thirdly, whatever said and done, India and Israel are allies and only under rarest of rare cases would India ever consider a strict action against Israel.

so how can india be committed to palestine if it is basically never willing to offend israel?

to what extent does this commitment exactly go to?

Even then, India was the only non-Muslim ally of Israel which held the Israelis solely responsible for the Gaza War. The fact that a Hindu-majority India condemned Israeli actions while some Muslim countries didn't even have the balls to do so speaks volumes.

the only reason hindu india sympathises with palestine is because they identify with post colonial issues that have roots in the british empire which is something all indians are against, as anti islamic sentiment in india is increasing so is pro palestinian support decreasing.

how is that relevant to india? - and this is a perfectly valid statement to make because i am judging india by its own statements and india is saying it is completely committed to the palestinian cause so explain how india walks the walk?

It is relevant to India because it is you who find this action as no-action...He is just giving you an example that kicking the diplomat is not the way of handling things...Are you saying that Jordan/Egypt are not commited to Palistine cause???

so how can india be committed to palestine if it is basically never willing to offend israel?to what extent does this commitment exactly go to?

So basically your way of being commited to the cause is to break all ties with Israel and isolate them..isnt it??? Just imagine how difficult it would be for you to oppose china on an international forum for anything??? Even after so much co-operation in defence(with India to gain so much from Israel) GOI still went against them...But in the end no matter what i cannot appreciate my adversary attitude is not letting you see the other side...

the only reason hindu india sympathises with palestine is because they identify with post colonial issues that have roots in the british empire which is something all indians are against, as anti islamic sentiment in india is increasing so is pro palestinian support decreasing.

Great thought and keep it up...Its rant like this which kills the motivation to discuss anything maturily..

Last edited:
you are being silly now.

its simple, i will break it down for you.

india makes lofty comments of gushing support for the "palestinian cause"

india can talk the talk, does it walk the walk - thats the question i am asking.

if there is little evidence of some tangible pro-palestinian efforts (not words) which match its ""Our commitment to the Palestinian cause is complete."" type comment then india is clearly playing a double game.

****cue the typical indian response of pakistan this, pakistan that or some other diversion****

hmm, its a bit of a dead horse but a smart move, india is and always has been trying to garner support in the muslim world but at the same time everyone knows that india's stance towards the palestinian's matters not a shred in terms of the wider and broader partnership with israel.

Notwithstanding that, a very good move for India still :tup:.

Abstaining may have been the other option for them, but endorsing the report seems to me to be better.

you are being silly now.

its simple, i will break it down for you.

india makes lofty comments of gushing support for the "palestinian cause"

india can talk the talk, does it walk the walk - thats the question i am asking.
Me being silly or you acting like a kid???... As per you what India has to do to Walk the walk??? Break relations with Israel bomb them or what??? You are calling me silly but opposing a country who is critical to you because of their advanced defence technology even though you have adversary on both sides of the border(read china and pakistan) in an international forum sounds no action to you??? and you are calling me silly :hitwall:....We could have easily abstained from voting like UK, Russia but we did not....

if there is little evidence of some tangible pro-palestinian efforts (not words) which match its ""Our commitment to the Palestinian cause is complete."" type comment then india is clearly playing a double game.

Though looking at your attitude i am little sceptical that the following links are going to make any difference but seems palestine look at india's help from different angle

Palestine President hails India’’s role in West Asia peace process
Abbas visit – India donates $20 million to Palestine Authority,India and the World, News Analysis, India News Online
India gives Rs 65 crore aid to Palestine - India - The Times of India
The Hindu : International : End expansion of Israeli settlements in Palestine: India
India is our true friend: Palestinian Authority

****cue the typical indian response of pakistan this, pakistan that or some other diversion****

*****Cue the typical pakistan response India did this for pleasing arab world...Indian actions mean nothing because their intentions are wrong....they are anti-muslim and thus anti-palestine.. or some other diversion :blah::blah::blah:******

also india's vote for the resolution was hardly decisive.

I think the point was to be Non-aligned, not side with the Palestinian's

You are right, it is not relevant to India. In fact, how one country conducts its affairs, with its own interest in mind, can't be compared to another country, which will be invariably seeing the same situation from its own point of view, which can be different from other countries.

So, on the basis of your astute observation, here's the question: Who cares what 'Ecuador' does?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom